Community Support for the machines running the game
CMDR Abil Midena
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Abil Midena
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: 1440p Monitor Selection

Postby CMDR Abil Midena » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:16 pm

blazingmaniac wrote:OK I have done a quick test and it was not great. For some reason with the 4k screen in the center and the 2 x 1080p screens either side it restricted the resolution to no more than 3072 x 768 which was hideously low resolution. I could not get it to go to 5760 x 1080 at all. So it is a bit of a fail with surround sadly.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Thanks very much for testing it out.

That is very bad news. I play ED, Witcher 3, DCS, and any other game that will do it, in surround. The new ED hyperspace animation is awesome in surround with all the added stars.

I'm going to have to look around more, as this is a show stopper for now.
My Youtube Channel
Elite - Elite - Elite

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Loriath » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:35 pm

Surround with a 4K and two 1080P panels? that would be a screwey resolution.
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

Darr Valen
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Darr Valen

Postby Darr Valen » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:18 pm

CMDR Abil Midena wrote:
blazingmaniac wrote:OK I have done a quick test and it was not great. For some reason with the 4k screen in the center and the 2 x 1080p screens either side it restricted the resolution to no more than 3072 x 768 which was hideously low resolution. I could not get it to go to 5760 x 1080 at all. So it is a bit of a fail with surround sadly.

Thanks very much for testing it out.

That is very bad news. I play ED, Witcher 3, DCS, and any other game that will do it, in surround. The new ED hyperspace animation is awesome in surround with all the added stars.

I'm going to have to look around more, as this is a show stopper for now.

The new hyperspace animation is made for VR.. It just shows how much we're missing playing on screens, or not in a sim cockpit. Still, I regret nothing. 1440p165 has been beyond what I expected. It's so freakin' smooth. Even when I dip to 100fps, it's still silky smooth. I wish it was 4k165, but hey, that's a pipe dream until 2021. (probably)

Side note. Does anyone else feel like they're sort-of finally "in the future" when speaking of the years after 2020? I feel like when I say 2021 or 2030, which aren't that far off, I'm still speaking of some magical 1980s style future where hoverboards hover and aren't scumbag scooters, and Star Wars XXXVIII is being shown in the local holomax theatre. 2019 feels like the past. 2021 feels like the future-future.

Now, time to go heat up this chicken pill into a fresh meal in a few seconds with my Black and Decker Food Re-Hydrater.

CMDR Abil Midena
Expert
Expert

Postby CMDR Abil Midena » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:03 pm

Loriath wrote:Surround with a 4K and two 1080P panels? that would be a screwey resolution.

Um, it would be 5760x1080.

Surround is supposed to drop to the lowest '3 way' res, so with his setup, it should have come up at 5760x1080, or at least offered that as the first choice. That's a 'normal' surround res.

edit* So, for example, I have 3 1920x1080's right now. They run in surround at 5760x1080. His, with 3840x2160 and two 1080 monitors, should have defaulted in surround to 5760x1080 as well. No clue why not.
My Youtube Channel
Elite - Elite - Elite

blazingmaniac
Expert
Expert
CMDR: blazing

Re: RE: Re: 1440p Monitor Selection

Postby blazingmaniac » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:10 pm

Loriath wrote:Surround with a 4K and two 1080P panels? that would be a screwey resolution.

I think the hope was the 4k screen would revert to 1080p so as to make a viable nvidia surround set up for certain games. Alas it seems it's not the case even though the 4k screen will happily do 1080p.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:13 am

Why not drop the, honestly buggy, crappy looking FOV distorting surround. for the single 4k (which is higher native resolution)
Just move the screen closer it has the resolution for it.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Darr Valen
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Darr Valen

Postby Darr Valen » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:18 am

I've got to remember to turn off thread notifications from now on.

CMDR Abil Midena
Expert
Expert

Postby CMDR Abil Midena » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:25 pm

TorTorden wrote:Why not drop the, honestly buggy, crappy looking FOV distorting surround. for the single 4k (which is higher native resolution)

I know you're talking to blazin, but...

This is my plan. It's just nice in flight sims and racing games to have the extra side monitors. And I already have them, so why not.

I wish VR was farther along than it is, that is what really should replace surround anyway.
My Youtube Channel
Elite - Elite - Elite

blazingmaniac
Expert
Expert
CMDR: blazing

Postby blazingmaniac » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:52 pm

TorTorden wrote:Why not drop the, honestly buggy, crappy looking FOV distorting surround. for the single 4k (which is higher native resolution)

To be honest I didn't mind the surround view and I agree it's far from perfect but I did like it. However I have gone with the 4k as my main screen and a single 1080p as my additional screen for team speak, inara etc.

CMDR Abil Midena
Expert
Expert

Postby CMDR Abil Midena » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:51 pm

blazingmaniac wrote:

To be honest I didn't mind the surround view and I agree it's far from perfect but I did like it. However I have gone with the 4k as my main screen and a single 1080p as my additional screen for team speak, inara etc.

Cool beans.

FWIW, the nVidia forum goers claim that setting the 4k monitor to 1920x1080, and then applying surround should work.

I'm still torn between the 3440 and 4k. I guess that's for another thread.
My Youtube Channel
Elite - Elite - Elite

Return to “Hardware and Technical”