Community Support for the machines running the game
blazingmaniac
Expert
Expert
CMDR: blazing
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: 1440p Monitor Selection

Postby blazingmaniac » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:03 pm

I did wonder that and admittedly didn't try it. When I get some time I will give ita go but unlikely to be until Wednesday now due to work commitments.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

CMDR Abil Midena
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Abil Midena

Postby CMDR Abil Midena » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:51 pm

blazingmaniac wrote:I did wonder that and admittedly didn't try it. When I get some time I will give ita go but unlikely to be until Wednesday now due to work commitments.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Cool, let us know how it goes.

I'm in no rush. This decision will stick for 3 to 5 years, since I don't change monitors that often.
My Youtube Channel
Elite - Elite - Elite

blazingmaniac
Expert
Expert

Postby blazingmaniac » Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:28 am

Well I tried it, setting the 4k monitor to 1920 x 1080 and then enabling Surround and.....................

No different, still restricted my maximum resolution to 3080 x 768 and would not allow me to go to 5760 x 1080 no matter what I tried. Only thing is I am using 3 different monitors in total so whether that has an effect maybe but the results seem to say NO! sadly.

CMDR Abil Midena
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Abil Midena

Postby CMDR Abil Midena » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:56 pm

Thanks for trying anyway!

Surround is so finicky that I am about to just stop using it anyway.

I am now stuck on the fence between the 34" ROG 1440 and Acer pred 4k. Fears about games properly supporting 3440x1440 on one hand, and fears about only 60hz with the 4k on the other. I guess a monitor like the Acer with 100 or 120hz would be ideal.
My Youtube Channel
Elite - Elite - Elite

blazingmaniac
Expert
Expert

Postby blazingmaniac » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:02 pm

I guess it's a waiting game then. To support 4k at 100 or 120 Hz is going to some serious GPU power. I was having the same quandary as you and ultimately I decided wanted proper 4k instead of widescreen but, that's down to personal choice obviously. I am very pleased with my choice and have no regrets. I have also been very impressed with the 980Ti's performance at 4k as well. I had expected issues and possible sluggish game play but so far on the stuff I play it's been spot on.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:38 pm

Super wide isn't perfect for everything.

I kind of find myself preferring 16:9 for fps shooters etc, it does some odd things with fov at that aspect, but for ED, sims (vr takes over that) and general desktop use it is absolutely perfect, to the point I now only have the one screen connected.
I have it also hooked up to my HT so naturally, playing in my recliner with 7.2 surround sound is part of that preference ;)

Also the format is near perfect for movies but I no longer need to watch those on a PC screen, although there certainly is worse ways to view a movie, after some tweaking and hefty use of interpolation (SVP), native 24hz movies play like slideshows without. It's a monitor so of course it has no native 24hz up sampling.

I will of course have the best of both eventually, since I am getting a UHD TV for the HT.
I just need to find the money and of course a screen I could live with.
Preferably 75" since it would replace my dual setup of a 50" plasma and a 90" projector.
Although reality is setting in so I doubt I can find one bigger than 65 that could actually afford..

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Return to “Hardware and Technical”