Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Horizons minimum systems requirements

Postby Xebeth » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:55 pm

RD-83 wrote:
Xebeth wrote:I play on a Quad core with 8GB ram, the only thing I did for Horizons was put in a GTX970 GPU, everything runs fine on mostly max settings and I get over 60fps on planets.

How does it cope in a busy RES? I've got a hex core and GTX 980 and I get slight stuttering. I run on ultra but turn down shadows, this seems to help but I haven't properly tested yet

Just fine, in fact it ran fine with my old card even in a busy RES, but I got thee new card before Horizons so I don't know how it would have done on planets. What I do know is that with the old card Witcher 3 ran like a dog (even with the graphics turned right down dialogue would finish but the characters would appear to be still talking, like some poorly dubbed movie), but with the new card and everything at max it's just peachy.
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

Relix Typhon
Master
Master
CMDR: Relix Typhon
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby Relix Typhon » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:55 pm

Xebeth wrote:
RD-83 wrote:
Xebeth wrote:I play on a Quad core with 8GB ram, the only thing I did for Horizons was put in a GTX970 GPU, everything runs fine on mostly max settings and I get over 60fps on planets.

How does it cope in a busy RES? I've got a hex core and GTX 980 and I get slight stuttering. I run on ultra but turn down shadows, this seems to help but I haven't properly tested yet

Just fine, in fact it ran fine with my old card even in a busy RES, but I got thee new card before Horizons so I don't know how it would have done on planets. What I do know is that with the old card Witcher 3 ran like a dog (even with the graphics turned right down dialogue would finish but the characters would appear to be still talking, like some poorly dubbed movie), but with the new card and everything at max it's just peachy.

Hmmm that's weird. The only thing I can think is that I recently changed the game to (windowed) borderless so I can alt-tab out faster and that is using more resource than expected in rendering the desktop etc. Testing required! :geek: :geek:

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath

Postby Loriath » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:46 am

RD-83 wrote:Hmmm that's weird. The only thing I can think is that I recently changed the game to (windowed) borderless so I can alt-tab out faster and that is using more resource than expected in rendering the desktop etc. Testing required! :geek: :geek:

I just went the other way to Fullscreen from Borderless and it gained me about 20% FPS boost. Don't need borderless as much now since EDMC went to auto updating and I stopped using the Discord Overlay (seems to choke my system).
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

Relix Typhon
Master
Master
CMDR: Relix Typhon

Postby Relix Typhon » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:20 pm

Well I've done some testing and I've come to the conclusion its more than likely the game itself.
No matter what I did, the *slight* stuttering remained. My FPS is fine and some google searches showed that its always been there, I must just never have noticed.
I even put Supersampling up to 1.5 and everything remained the same - I'd expect FPS to drop and stuttering to get worse if it was something to do with the card itself or my drivers etc.
Strangely enough, I have absolutely NO issues on or near landable planets.

But nevermind, I'm just glad its not my rig :)

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: GlobusDiablo

Postby GlobusDiablo » Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:22 pm

Xious wrote:...What is different about Horizons that the specs are higher than ED?

Planets and surface play take a big hit. From what I understand the most important thing to upgrade for E: D is the graphics card. What ever you have now, see if you can get your mitts on a more recent Nvidia (my preference). I don't know your budget, but the GTX1060 should be excellent for the price.

Xious
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Xious

Postby Xious » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:49 pm

I figured it was time to build another one.... this is what it has...

Motherboard : Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 7

CPU: Intel i5 4690 at 3.5 ghz

RAM : 16 GB running at 1600 mhz

GPU: Gigabyte Windforce G1 GTX 970 OC 4gb gddr5 and backplate
Watercooled by: Corsair H55 120mm fan cooler

Power supply: 750 watt 80 plus

GlobusDiablo wrote:
Xious wrote:...What is different about Horizons that the specs are higher than ED?

Planets and surface play take a big hit. From what I understand the most important thing to upgrade for E: D is the graphics card. What ever you have now, see if you can get your mitts on a more recent Nvidia (my preference). I don't know your budget, but the GTX1060 should be excellent for the price.

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: GlobusDiablo

Postby GlobusDiablo » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:39 am

Xious wrote:I figured it was time to build another one.... this is what it has...

Motherboard : Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 7

CPU: Intel i5 4690 at 3.5 ghz

RAM : 16 GB running at 1600 mhz

GPU: Gigabyte Windforce G1 GTX 970 OC 4gb gddr5 and backplate
Watercooled by: Corsair H55 120mm fan cooler

Power supply: 750 watt 80 plus

GlobusDiablo wrote:

That should do very nicely. :)

thebs
Master
Master
CMDR: thebs

Postby thebs » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:43 pm

Xious wrote:IGPU: Gigabyte Windforce G1 GTX 970 OC 4gb gddr5 and backplate
Stock-wise (single-precision):
- 4GiB GTX 970 = 3.4GFLOPS
- 6GiB GTX 1060 = 3.8GFLOPS

With the planned:
- 3GiB GTX 1060 = 3.4GFLOPS

Although I'd be worried about having only 3GiB in the latter's case. So a 4GiB GTX 970 is just fine and I wouldn't bother looking at the GTX 1060 at all. The 6GiB doesn't add much more.
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

Xious
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Xious

Postby Xious » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:38 am

thebs wrote:
Xious wrote:IGPU: Gigabyte Windforce G1 GTX 970 OC 4gb gddr5 and backplate
Stock-wise (single-precision):
- 4GiB GTX 970 = 3.4GFLOPS
- 6GiB GTX 1060 = 3.8GFLOPS

With the planned:
- 3GiB GTX 1060 = 3.4GFLOPS

Although I'd be worried about having only 3GiB in the latter's case. So a 4GiB GTX 970 is just fine and I wouldn't bother looking at the GTX 1060 at all. The 6GiB doesn't add much more.

Yeah, so far I'm very happy with the new rig. I almost called out sick today.... lol. Thx for the info.

Return to “Hardware and Technical”