:D

Thank you. :)

Wanker.... ;)

thebs
Master
Master
CMDR: thebs
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Of Graphics and Consoles and AVRs ... oh my!

Postby thebs » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:25 pm

Regarding the 1080 v. 980 Ti ...

Yeah, another +33% in the 1080 is not worth it over the 980 Ti, for $700. If one only had a 970 or even a 980, then yeah, but not if one is already at a 980 Ti. No sense. I'm waiting to see what the 1080 Ti looks like, although I might just wait until the 11 series.

Thermals are about the only thing that benefits, and significantly with the TMSC 28nm to TSMC 16nm FET fabrication change. But that's why I have Mini-ITX (really dual-slot DTX). My card is flush up against the side of the case, and pulling cool air in directly from the side.

Off Topic
Regarding Consoles ...

Everyone wants to make console ICs, because they not only deliver the most bang-for-the-buck, but the margins are better. Instead of PC CPUs/GPUs that run, at best, 100K-1M units before they are rev'd every 9-18 months, consoles are 10M+ units for 24-36 months before a minor, and I stress minor, rev.

AMD really nailed it getting both the XOne and PS4 with their, although 2013-era, dual-package Jaguar (2x4 L3-less Proc15h, 2x Radeon 8300). We'll see if they stick with AMD for the next, major revision. Right now the new XOne just ships an updated Beema with a bit more ooph and reduced power.

Regarding AVRs ...

My living room has a sub-$300, "open box special" ($599 list) Okoyo 7.1 HDMI (although only 1.4, not 2.0) setup. But in my small, 10x10' (3x3m) 'man cave,' I bought a pair of these Pioneer HTS-GS1 units for US$99 (yes, 1/4th list) new back in the mid '00s, and are still using them for my PlayStation/Xbox + PC setups ...
- http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/ ... ms/HTS-GS1

The biggest pain with ToshLink on the PC isn't that the ASIC's don't do them. It's that the encoding is done in software, and the on-mainboard audio, typically RealTek ALC8xx, doesn't include the license. I hacked in a modified DLL and configuration file to get my ALC892 to work on my old Z97, but the hack doesn't work for newer boards/chips.
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

Return to “Hardware and Technical”