thebs
Master
Master
CMDR: thebs
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Linux is capable, the problem continues to be political

Postby thebs » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:30 pm

Off Topic
smartroad wrote:I accidentally pressed the wrong button on a shutdown on my desktop and it installed the update for me :( Not hit any major issues but not played ED since the update. I hate Microsoft, I really wish Valve would push SteamOS more, it would be great for Linux gaming in general.

Valve had the Linux metrics for years (users running under WINE), but dared not challenge Microsoft until the EA fiasco. Windows Live [for Gaming] (Windows 8.x app [and gaming] store strategy) failed, and Valve now was going full-bore Linux as a result of the prior threat of extinction at the hands of Microsoft.

Corel ran into this before, when they bought WordPerfect. They were cut-off by Microsoft overnight, locked out entirely, and were forced to Linux. Unfortunately it was the '90s, before mass Linux adoption and heavy hardware support that we enjoy on Linux today (to the point any Linux installs better out-of-the-box, with more hardware support, than the Windows media since about '07 -- but most people don't know that because they get Windows pre-installed, and not have to install it themselves with all the driver non-sense of Windows).

smartroad wrote:Also if they could come up with an API interface for DirectX that could mean playing Windows games on Linux.

Huh?

First off, DirectX is really just a set of wrappers to hardware calls. Software DirectX implementations have long fallen behind hardware. OpenGL has suffered similarly, despite trying to keep up with v2, v3 and now v4 releases. Eventually the OpenGL Architectural Review Board (ARB) reviews AMD and nVidia extensions, and documents them, much like how the IEEE tries to operate for 802 (document proprietary vendor extensions, and find commonality). But still, most hardware calls rarely get implemented in software OpenGL, which is why Mesa libGL continues to be well behind either Catalyst or nVidia libGL.

So ...

Secondly, both AMD and nVidia simultaneously release both proprietary DirectX and OpenGL extensions, and this has been the case since '99-'00, where nVidia and Microsoft acquired most of the SGI patents. I.e., after 2000 no longer did AMD and nVidia have to worry about some patent or other IP limiting what they could release for either, and the "unified" kits came out at that time. That's why DirectX v. OpenGL doesn't matter for the most part.

DirectX itself was never supposed to exist, as Microsoft had committed itself to OpenGL in 1993.
► Show Spoiler

In fact ...

By 2004, with the availability of Linux/x86-64, Linux became the premier gaming development platform, and that hasn't been relinquished ... to anyone. From Disney to Hollywood to Epic to Sony, that's the reality now.
► Show Spoiler

So ...

Lastly (what you might be indirectly referring to), even when a vendor has produced a 100% WinForms toolkit game with undocumented Windows interfaces, even ones that break under Windows 10, like Windows 7 from XP before it, there is a Linux option, which is also used by MacOS X ports too.
► Show Spoiler

Linux already has everything it needs. It's just a matter of game houses deciding to piss Microsoft off, and supporting a 2nd platform. That's really it.

Again, understand the history since 2004, accelerated in 2010+, and why we are now here ...

Valve was forced into the Linux strategy, because they pissed off EA (over DRM, Valve refusing to add more DRM EA wanted on DLCs), and EA went running to Microsoft, asking them to create a competitor and destroy Valve and its Steam platform. That was the Windows Live non-sense with Windows 8.x, where I had to move several dozens of my games off of Steam, and over to Microsoft's app front. It was a chronic failure, and Microsoft soon had to abandon it, by the damage was done. Valve had already publicly released all of its Linux support, which they had been working on since 2004 (had a native Steam client as early as 2007), and the rest is history.

It mirrors why Oracle, Sybase and other database vendors went Linux in 1999, and database solutions (other than small-time SMB stuff) on Windows have been dying for the past decade.
► Show Spoiler

Correspondingly, in 2004, the head of Epic Megagames was the first to point out the fact that Microsoft was chronically failing game development houses, and that the industry was switching to Linux/x86-64 for high-end development.
► Show Spoiler

Most recently Microsoft has been strong-arming all Hardware and Software Vendors to only support their app store for Windows 10. Most now predict that between 2020 to 2023, you'll have to unofficially "side load" applications on Windows, guaranteeing they'll break regularly, because Microsoft will require all hardware and software to only come from its app store. Which is why Valve is moving to Linux. And they aren't alone.

And for those of you who haven't hear ... Windows 10 Enterprise Edition cannot be "bought," only "rented" for US$7 per user per system. They are moving to the 1-3 year subscription model, like Red Hat. Microsoft is trying to get home consumers to move to this with Office 365, and would like non-Enterprise versions of Windows to have the same sustainment. Which is why there will be no Windows 11, just sustained Windows from now on (based on Windows 10).
► Show Spoiler

So the Windows-based PC platform is becoming closed, like Apple, and Microsoft is slowly, but surely, becoming the #1 PC OEM itself, replacing Dell. Meaning the only open PC platform available by early next decade ... will be running Linux. It's over, Microsoft owns the PC platform, if you want to run Windows, you will have to get all your drivers, hardware support and all application and gaming software from the Microsoft store.

Although one cool option, that is not possible with Windows (especially since they dropped all non-x86 development over a year ago now), will be ARM.
► Show Spoiler
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

Return to “Hardware and Technical”