Community Support for the machines running the game
GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: GlobusDiablo
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Steam VR test and MSI Afterburner

Postby GlobusDiablo » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:01 pm

Ok, I've been doing some quick tests with fan profiles in MSI Afterburner during Steams VR test.

Stock profile for this GTX980ti (I think it's a Zotac Reference) temps hover at 83 degrees C, and yields a 10.7 performance score on the Steam VR test. 11.600 frames tested. 0 below and 0 bound.

Interestingly, creating a slightly harder fan profile, stating 100% fans at 85 degrees C (max temp before GTX980ti throttles) yields a 77 degree C max temp on the card during the test, an 11 performance score, and I think around 12200 frames tested. 0 below and 0 bound.

So, in conclusion, installing MSI Afterburner and creating a slightly harder fan profile (setting max fans at max gpu temp before throttling) will give you tangible yields in VR, and performance in general I presume. :)

Gfx fans will of course be a bit more noticable, kicking in harder earlier, but hey, it's all about performance right. ;) :)

I know this is nothing new to many of you, but I've never really dabbled in this area before, so I'm having a blast. :)

Fly safe all.

Edit: and based on these findings, the card is already throttling at 83 degrees, so should probably be kept under 80?

2. Edit: all other settings are stock.
Last edited by GlobusDiablo on Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Steam VR test and MSI Afterburner

Postby TorTorden » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:50 pm

Is that a blower single fan card?

I got an msi card with three fans covering it and I was getting 75c at full load.
After installing an extra fan in the side panel to suck more in I havent seen temps over 69c.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: GlobusDiablo
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Steam VR test and MSI Afterburner

Postby GlobusDiablo » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:00 pm

TorTorden wrote:Is that a blower single fan card?

I got an msi card with three fans covering it and I was getting 75c at full load.
After installing an extra fan in the side panel to suck more in I havent seen temps over 69c.

Yeah I think so. I mean I can see one fan mounted. Can't see the make, but I think I read somewhere that it was a Zotac?

I think it might be this one:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/zotac-ge ... 87-zt.html

Are you using MSI Afterburner or other software to adjust your fans?

Return to “Hardware and Technical”