Community Support for the machines running the game
Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: GTX 1080 - Seeking Advice

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:57 am

I ended up getting this card. It was a close thing between it and the GigaByte, but I chose this one because of the second HDMI, which might be useful. They were both available for $650, although Amazon kept changing the price and they were as high as $840 during the day!
It's time to give this another go.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:01 am

That looks like a very sweet card.

Nope I'm not jealous not at all...

Congrats man.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

thebs
Master
Master
CMDR: thebs

SFF GTX 1070 ITX -- WAS: GTX 1080 - Seeking Advice

Postby thebs » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:49 am

I know this is the 1080 thread, but this was the 1070 ITX I was speaking of earlier. Despite assumptions, the 970 ITX version had no fan noise issues (although early versions had bearing issues, and then yes, it would be noisy if the bearing went, of course), and the 1070 is even lower thermals. Perfect for a SFF build. Although there are some ITX cases that can take as short as a 260mm/10", while most longer ITX cases can take 360mm/14" and just about anything GTX 1080 (but are going to be heavier, of course).

- http://www.gigabyte.com/products/produc ... id=5923#kf
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:39 pm

Damn. This is the card I was wanting to get, also $650, but never saw a price drop yesterday and pulled the trigger on the other. I feel I should cancel the other card, which is not in stock, and order this, but feel it may be bad karma. If I'd just waited!

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:52 pm

Roger Wilco Jr wrote:Damn. This is the card I was wanting to get, also $650, but never saw a price drop yesterday and pulled the trigger on the other. I feel I should cancel the other card, which is not in stock, and order this, but feel it may be bad karma. If I'd just waited!

If there is any difference between them its nothing a little manual clocking can sort.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:11 pm

TorTorden wrote:If there is any difference between them its nothing a little manual clocking can sort.

Yeah. A closer look at the EVGA reveals only one power connector and a possibly less stable power topology (if that's the right word - fewer phases). The Asus may take overclocking better, not that I'll need it before I go 4k. I also thought it had 2 HDMI, but it doesn't, but that's a minor point. I'll stick with the Asus and keep my good karma.

I always fret over large purchases - that's my Faux-CD. :roll:

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:22 pm

I got my new card today. :D

Not bad, considering it wasn't supposed to be in stock until yesterday and I picked free super-saving shipping.

Here are some performance numbers:

The existing settings were 2560x1440 High 1.5xSS V-sync (dual GTX 970 SLI). I was maintaining about 60FPS in space, dropping in stations and on planets. I turned off V-sync to see what happened. The second set of numbers are with 2xSS. Numbers are FPS.

Inside Station (bit lower in hangar): 75-85 / 50-60
Outside Near Station: 130-150 / 60-70
In Space & SC: 160-175 / 100-115
Planetary Landing: 90-110 / 50-60
Driving SRV: 70-90 / 40-50 (higher with lights off)
The temperature was typically about 70C and the fans were pretty loud.

Then I turned V-sync back on and headed for the RES. Once I left the station, the FPS never dropped below 60, no matter how many ships and asteroids were about. The temp dropped to about 65C and the fans were pretty quiet. 2x super sampling looks awesome, but I don't like the frame drops in the station and on the planet, so I dropped SS back to 1.5 and increased quality to ultra. Now it's holding 60FPS even in the hangar. I really can't tell much of a difference between high and ultra.

Everything is very smooth. I haven't checked, but the SLI related glitches should be gone. Now I just need to get my HMD. It's supposed to start shipping next Friday, so hopefully I'll have it within a couple weeks.

Return to “Hardware and Technical”