Community Support for the machines running the game
thebs
Master
Master
CMDR: thebs
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: OSVR HDK2 VR HMD now available for pre-order

Postby thebs » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:05 am

Roger Wilco Jr wrote:Well, I suppose there's a off chance that my dual GTX-970 SLI setup may work by the time I get my HMD. Or I can probably pick up a GTX-980Ti for $350 in a couple months. :lol:

Hopefully the GTX 1070 will have dropped to its $379 list by then. It's really worth the 1070 for the reduced power and heat, while it matches the GTX 980 Ti in performance.

AJH wrote:I only ever had people with glasses try it all the way out for fear of scratching the lenses and my wife had corrective surgery recently (in part inspired by usability with the Vive, though she'd been thinking about it for a while), so we don't have anyone regularly using it that needs glasses anymore so I hadn't looked in to it in much more detail beyond her initial impression.

Even the Rift won't scratch your glasses, although I recommend small frames. My main issue with the Rift is that I live in continually humid Florida, and fogging. I heard the Vive vents much better. I don't understand how Oculus, with all the prototypes, still hasn't addressed that.
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:24 am

Also the 1070 has 8gb of ram, so even if the 980ti was $50 cheaper I would still recommend it.
I remember people wasn't seeing much improvement between 9 gen and 7 gen but once games biggest shift I noticed was when horizons dropped and ED started using computers shaders.

At the very earliest these new techs won't be implemented by FD before something like season 3 drops. And who knows when that will be. Christmas 2017?

Anyhoo the 1070 is on par with 980ti now. And that's with what I would consider subpar drivers . Once they get into the swing of things the 1070 will only get faster.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

AJH
Competent
Competent
CMDR: AJH
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby AJH » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:34 pm

thebs wrote:Even the Rift won't scratch your glasses

Oops, guess I wasn't clear there. I was actually referring to having the lenses in the headset scratched by the glasses frames. I have heard from a few people that claimed to have had this happen when they had things in too close. I suppose it likely depends largely on how tight someone puts it on and how big their glasses frames are though.

thebs
Master
Master

Postby thebs » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:55 pm

AJH wrote:
thebs wrote:Even the Rift won't scratch your glasses

Oops, guess I wasn't clear there. I was actually referring to having the lenses in the headset scratched by the glasses frames. I have heard from a few people that claimed to have had this happen when they had things in too close. I suppose it likely depends largely on how tight someone puts it on and how big their glasses frames are though.

In either case, mine don't touch.
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

SorcererX
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: SorcererX

Postby SorcererX » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:54 pm

For that price, it's hard not to buy! Too bad I would pretty much have to build a new computer. Something to save up for!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

hdpwipmonkey
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Gallanus

Re: RE: Re: OSVR HDK2 VR HMD now available for pre-order

Postby hdpwipmonkey » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:13 pm

SorcererX wrote:For that price, it's hard not to buy! Too bad I would pretty much have to build a new computer. Something to save up for!

It's good to have goals in life.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

thebs
Master
Master

Postby thebs » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:58 pm

SorcererX wrote:For that price, it's hard not to buy! Too bad I would pretty much have to build a new computer. Something to save up for!

The cost is really the GPU. Other than the original 6800GT (US$399) I never spent more than US$221 (660 Ti) on a GPU before 2014 (US $320 for 970). Now I've spent as much as US$499 after MIR (980 Ti), back in April (and I just got the rebate last week).

I'm waiting on the 1080 Ti or whatever is "next," maybe even the 11 Series, before upgrading again. The 1080 is just not worth the cost for +33% over the 980 Ti / 1070. Although I'm eyeing the Gigabyte Mini-ITX (170mm/6.7" long) GTX 1070 for an ultra-SFF build for the TV in the living room. That would be for a potential Vive purchase.

But I plan on waiting, and am in no rush. I'm waiting on new cards and 2nd gen VR for general usage.

The $499 GTX 980 Ti + $599 Oculus Rift is keeping me happy with Elite. It cost me over $1,100, but it's running great on an older, although quad-4GHz, Haswell generation i7-4970K. BTW ... I found I could put everything to "Ultra" (or "High" if the highest), with max distances for everything, as long as I used only "Medium" shadows, and still get 90fps with the Rift.

I purchased a few Rift games on Steam, but I haven't had time to play them other than in passing.

SorcererX
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Postby SorcererX » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:59 pm

Those prices are pretty much what I was expecting. The problem is, my cpu and ram is stretched as it is to run the game. That's why I need to do a complete upgrade.

thebs
Master
Master

Postby thebs » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:14 pm

SorcererX wrote:Those prices are pretty much what I was expecting. The problem is, my cpu and ram is stretched as it is to run the game. That's why I need to do a complete upgrade.

My Mini-ITX Z97 + i7-4790K + 16GiB DDR3 was under $400 in 2014. NewEgg Black Friday special got me the board + CPU for $350.

SorcererX
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Postby SorcererX » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:16 pm

Nice!

Return to “Hardware and Technical”