Community Support for the machines running the game
Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

SLI is Working Again (for me)

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:00 am

Windows 10 trashed my system. I got most of it working again with simple fixes, but I couldn't get SLI working again. I didn't really have the time, or the will, to work on it much. Updating and rolling back drivers didn't help. Tonight I downloaded the oldest driver for Win 10 I could find, 352.84, and performed a clean driver install. I don't know whether it was the older driver, or the clean install, but SLI is working again. :D

It's clearly working. Both cards are heating up (2x GTX-970) and I can maintain high FPS with 1.5x super sampling at ultra settings. It's 60 FPS at 2560x1440 most of the time, sometimes dropping into the 50's in a RES and 40's on a planet. With just one card working it would be about 10-20 FPS less depending on what I was doing. And with high graphics settings, it maintains a smooth 60 FPS under all conditions, and I don't really see a difference between high and ultra.

As for driver updates, I've been updating them for 1.5 years and never noticed much of a difference (read that as any difference) while playing ED. I think most of these updates just add stuff for new games, which I'm not playing. Everything seems to be working and looks great, so I don't know if it's worth trying to get a newer driver working with SLI. I think I'll try the next new release and perform another clean install and see what happens. I can always go back again. :roll:
It's time to give this another go.

thebs
Master
Master
CMDR: thebs

Re: SLI is Working Again (for me)

Postby thebs » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:39 pm

Good to hear rolling back drivers worked.

And yes, the new "Metro v2" interfaces in NT6.3 NT10 (Windows 10/2016) is causing havoc as most of the existing drivers were already well developed for older "Metro" (and earlier "Aero") interfaces of NT6.2 (and NT6.0-6.1) of Windows 8/2012 (and Vista/7/2008). Since Windows 10 is still 3x lower than Windows 7 and is now just hitting the number of Windows 8 systems, I'm sure nVidia is more focused on Windows 7 improvements.

BTW, similar happened when Accelerated, Indirect OpenGL on X-Window 11 (AIGLX) became common in the Linux world in the '00s, especially after the Clutter compositing manager was introduced with GNOME 3 (GNOME Shell = Clutter Compositing Manager + Mutter Window Manager), there were issues with nVidia GLX drivers and performance hits too. It took some time for nVidia to figure them out.

Just like "Metro v2" in Windows 10.
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:24 pm

thebs wrote:Since Windows 10 is still 3x lower than Windows 7 and is now just hitting the number of Windows 8 systems, I'm sure nVidia is more focused on Windows 7 improvements.

If you say so. Windows 8 is so bad I'm surprised every Windows 8 user hasn't "upgraded" to Windows 10 - especially with the nagging. The Windows 7 number seems a little high too, but I do know many business can't move to Windows 10 w/o throwing away a lot of legacy software. I really thought moving to Windows 10 was the smart move for future compatibility - especially for free. But if everyone is going to keep making things Windows 7 compatible for the next few years, at the same or even better performance, maybe I should roll it back. :| :( :x :roll:
It's time to give this another go.

thebs
Master
Master
CMDR: thebs

Postby thebs » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:57 pm

Roger Wilco Jr wrote:
thebs wrote:Since Windows 10 is still 3x lower than Windows 7 and is now just hitting the number of Windows 8 systems, I'm sure nVidia is more focused on Windows 7 improvements.
If you say so.

Well, I don't pull things out of my rear, despite some people (not you, just many people who don't know me in real life) assuming such from the get-go with all the stuff I claim to be first, or at least second, person to. And that's fine. It takes 6-12 months to get to know anyone, and that time to prove consistently it's not BS coming from them. I'm only 3 months in, at best, here. ;)

Looks like as of 2016Q2, it's about 18% Windows 10 to 45% Windows 7, so now about 2.5x, and no longer 15% to 47%, as it was in 2016Q1.

Roger Wilco Jr wrote:Windows 8 is so bad

I disagree. NT6.2 (8/2012) was really a decent improvement over NT6.1 (7/2008). That's what revisions are supposed to be, sans 2 things.

One, Microsoft trashing the existing Windows Server 2008 deployment and other tools with Windows Server 2012, where Microsoft "forces" corporations to "upgrade" their tools every release (part of the reason many are moving to Open System/Open Source solutions), on the workstation/desktop end ...

Two, Microsoft compounded the "Metro" interface over the already heavy, but at least improved over NT6.0 (Vista), "Aero" interface of NT6.1 (7/2008). If you ran something like Classic Shell or Start8, it was just fine. Microsoft stupid insistence being "one interface to rule everyone," is just a stupid idea -- that Apple, Linux, et al. all disagree, that the 60cm/23.5"+ LCD needs huge "tiles," normally designed for 15cm/6" phone, just like a phone "used to" require a tiny, 3mm-1/8" "Start Bar."

But those were really my big 2 complaints about Windows 8. The problems with Windows 10? Read on ...

Roger Wilco Jr wrote: I'm surprised every Windows 8 user hasn't "upgraded" to Windows 10

Windows 10 has many issues.
- Metro v2 is completely re-written, and even more bloated, largely because the outsourced contractors that wrote Metro [v1] are now gone
- Metro v2 still has major bugs, some were early show-stoppers like crashing with more than 511 entries, and other oversights (I've reported many)
- I highly recommend people use either "Classic Shell" or "Start10" until they fix them
- EXPLORER.EXE (everything you see) is at the mercy of any plug-in and driver crashes, from Computer to Network, and they are heavy and often
- The artificial "bump" to NT10 in INF/driver files, when it should be NT6.3, which is causing a lot of the EXPLORER.EXE crashes (personally verified)
- EXPLORER.EXE is still broken, after 22 years, which is why Enterprises use GUI programs that leverage **Tridge's X-Delta algorithm (aka Rsync)
- 100% automatic updates, no opting out, which means Windows can self-toast, unrecoverable, at any time
- Privacy is gone, by default, and some cannot be disabled ... so much so the French government just filed a lawsuit over violation of EU privacy laws

**Dr. Andrew Tridgell, PhD, Australian ...
► Show Spoiler

About the only thing "good" about Windows 10 is that Microsoft is not going to release another Windows. They are going to sustain it until 2026 or so. They are allegedly going to do more than 1 Service Pack, which means it will be easier to install.

Roger Wilco Jr wrote:especially with the nagging.

Oh, it wasn't just "nagging." The "X" eventually became a "consent" (OK/Upgrade) and there are are now lawsuits. They were marking Updates "important," for people like me who disabled KB3035585, etc... and introduced others.

The second a woman won a $10K small claims in California -- she spent hundreds on PC tech fees, and lost all her data (expert testified exactly what happened) -- and Microsoft's own legal team advised them they'd lose any appeal, they immediately pushed out a patch that stopped the "X" from turning into a consent. That's what finally stopped it, as Microsoft realized they could quickly have a class action lawsuit on their hands, and the lawsuit exposed the various consumer laws they violated in California.

Considering Florida has even tougher consumer laws, and is also a large state (#3 by population), it quickly became obvious what they immediately should do. But class action lawsuits are still being formed at this time for past transgressions. ;)

Roger Wilco Jr wrote:The Windows 7 number seems a little high too, but I do know many business can't move to Windows 10 w/o throwing away a lot of legacy software.

Windows 10 Enterprise is priced per user, per month ... no more "one time" pricing. It's throwing a lot of organizations for a loop right now.

Microsoft is trying to get to Red Hat's model of subscription pricing ...
► Show Spoiler

Corporations prefer paying for sustainment engineering, not "Upfront costs." That's why Microsoft is, starting with Windows 10 Enterprise, moving to the subscription model.

E.g.,
- Would you move into an apartment for 10 years, if you had to pay all 10 years upfront, and the landlord had a nasty habit of taking your money and letting things break? (Commercial),
- Some might go to a community apartment, help everyone else fix it, even pay for things, but what if it always became unfixable and you had to move every year? (Upstream Open Source)
- Wouldn't you wait to find a proven apartment, one that works, but others moved out because it wasn't shiny and new, and then pay your landlord to maintain it, but just as long as you lived there? (Sustained Open Source)

Microsoft wants to get to that last one, especially since they use a significant amount of unsustained Open Source in Windows and Microsoft solutions too (don't get me started). Unfortunately, they don't develop Windows itself in the Upstream, so they still have 10x the development costs.

It's getting pretty said that you have GNU/Linux maintainers on software for 10+ years, while Microsoft only has outsourced contractors on software for 1-2 years. That's why Metro v2 is chronic fail, and Windows 10 looks horrendous at 4K compared to even Linux, let alone Mac. Windows uses a completely different presentation system and graphics foundation, while Mac uses a similar approach as FreeDesktop (Linux), long story. Short story is where some of the guys who wrote Cairo came from (Apple).

Roger Wilco Jr wrote:I really thought moving to Windows 10 was the smart move for future compatibility - especially for free. But if everyone is going to keep making things Windows 7 compatible for the next few years, at the same or even better performance, maybe I should roll it back. :| :( :x :roll:

NT6.1 (7/2008) products are supported until at least 2020 January. Right now a lot of the NT6.3 NT10 (10/2016) "solutions" designed for NT6.2 (8/2012) are just broken for corporations.
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

Return to “Hardware and Technical”