GTX 970 4GiB GDDR5 dropping here in the US ...

Community Support for the machines running the game
thebs
Master
Master
CMDR: thebs
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

GTX 970 4GiB GDDR5 dropping here in the US ...

Postby thebs » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:06 pm

Boy, when I'm wrong, I'm wrong. I'm still trying to find my post in one of the many threads here, but I predicted only the higher-end GTX 980 Ti would drop, not so much the GTX 970. And I was wrong.

The GTX 970 4GiB GDDR5 is really dropping here in the US, and can be had for as little as US$175 after Mail-in-Rebate (MiR).
- http://dealnews.com/Asus-Ge-Force-GTX-9 ... 36160.html
- http://dealnews.com/Gigabyte-Ge-Force-G ... 36340.html

I do not recommend GTX 970 for VR -- not even Rift, and definitely not Vive at all -- but it's quite good for Horizons at 1080p, possibly even 1440p, depending.

The minimum for Rift is really the GTX 980 Ti or GTX 1070, and I'd recommend the GTX 1080 if you can afford it. I get 90fps on the GTX 980 Ti, but it drops to 75fps on some planets, and definitely 60fps or under in some rings. The benchmarks are showing the GTX 1070 no better, so I'd opt for the GTX 1080 if I didn't already have a GTX 980 Ti.
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

AJH
Competent
Competent
CMDR: AJH
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: GTX 970 4GiB GDDR5 dropping here in the US ...

Postby AJH » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:04 am

Interestingly my water cooled standard 980 seems to be doing well with the Vive for the most part unless Windows starts doing stuff in the background. 970 certainly is very limiting for VR in ED though.

thebs
Master
Master

Postby thebs » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:04 pm

AJH wrote:Interestingly my water cooled standard 980 seems to be doing well with the Vive for the most part unless Windows starts doing stuff in the background. 970 certainly is very limiting for VR in ED though.

How much you boosting that GTX 980 clock? At some point, the only liability with the GTX 980 becomes the memory, if it's not 6GiB. You can probably best the GTX 980 Ti clock, if you're water cooled.

My GTX 980 Ti gets me constant 90fps ... but drops on some planets, and definitely in icy rings ... although it depends on the ship. E.g., in the Python or Asp, "closer up" to the beam, it can drop to as low as 45fps. But in the Anaconda, with the "beam afar," as well as the "break off" of the fragments, it stays closer to 75fps.
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

AJH
Competent
Competent
CMDR: AJH
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby AJH » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:25 pm

thebs wrote:
AJH wrote:Interestingly my water cooled standard 980 seems to be doing well with the Vive for the most part unless Windows starts doing stuff in the background. 970 certainly is very limiting for VR in ED though.

How much you boosting that GTX 980 clock? At some point, the only liability with the GTX 980 becomes the memory, if it's not 6GiB. You can probably best the GTX 980 Ti clock, if you're water cooled.

My GTX 980 Ti gets me constant 90fps ... but drops on some planets, and definitely in icy rings ... although it depends on the ship. E.g., in the Python or Asp, "closer up" to the beam, it can drop to as low as 45fps. But in the Anaconda, with the "beam afar," as well as the "break off" of the fragments, it stays closer to 75fps.

I'm not sure exactly. I have EVGA's software managing it for me. I am flying an Anaconda though, so that may be part of it as well.

thebs
Master
Master

Postby thebs » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:58 pm

AJH wrote:
thebs wrote:

I'm not sure exactly. I have EVGA's software managing it for me. I am flying an Anaconda though, so that may be part of it as well.

It's literally night'n day for me between the Asp/Python that are "up close to the rock" (added effects of ice mining) and "closer to the beam" (clearly a lot of complex geometry) and the Anaconda that is "way back" and size 2 beams "hidden behind the girth."

Literally 30fps difference for me when ice mining.

Return to “Hardware and Technical”