Community Support for the machines running the game
Walter
Master
Master
CMDR: Walter Wall
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Networking

Postby Walter » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:57 am

Loriath wrote:I am quote hungover, so forgive me if this has not been suggested.

Modern PC's never fully power off unless you physically disconnect them from the mains. If the nic is in a hung state and will not respond, I suggest pulling the power cord for a minute or two and let the capacitors in the system drain.

Turned it on this morning and it immediately connected.

The one thing I didn't do yesterday, until close of play, was to turn it off at the mains. I've been having some intermittent internet dropouts, which I think is down to the ISP. If this happened at some point yesterday and the machine got stuck in an unrecoverable but sustainable state, perhaps that would explain it - just a guess.

Loriath drinks to curb his awesome intellect. What is he like when he's not hung over!

Many thanks to all.

thebs
Master
Master
CMDR: thebs
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: RE: Re: Networking

Postby thebs » Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:44 am

Schmobius wrote:I had something similar happen to bluetooth on my PC. Bluetooth happens to be on the same intel card as my wifi, which never had trouble, making it doubly weird. After trying every software solution I could, I finally opened up the case, pulled the card out, and put it right back in.

As soon as I rebooted, it worked again. If your network isn't soldered directly to the motherboard, you might want to try reseating it, as dumb as that is. (I have a mini-itx motherboard, and I think the card my network and bluetooth are on is PCIe? It's some ridiculously small card and slot.)

If I read this correctly, this is a wired slot. The NIC's MAC is in the Intel I/O Controller Hub or AMD's HyperTransport Bridge (or in the CPU itself if a System-on-a-Chip model), with the PHY being a surface mount IC near the port on the back of the mainboard.

It wouldn't be on a 30x50mm mini-PCIe card or 22x42mm M.2 card.

Disclaimer: Please excuse any grammar, pathetic typos, or satanic versus known as "auto-correct" as this was posted via Tapatalk from my budget Honor 5X
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

thebs
Master
Master

Postby thebs » Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:48 am

Loriath wrote:I am quote hungover, so forgive me if this has not been suggested.

Modern PC's never fully power off unless you physically disconnect them from the mains. If the nic is in a hung state and will not respond, I suggest pulling the power cord for a minute or two and let the capacitors in the system drain.

And if that doesn't solve it, by all means pop for a new nic card.

Oh yeah, if you haven't done this, definitely do. PHY chips are noisy, EMF-wise, and have all sorts of transients as a result of their capacitors.

This is one of the first things I do if Windows is using hardware incorrectly. Shutdown, pull that plug (and battery if a notebook), and let it sit 10s. If 10s didn't work then 5m.

Disclaimer: Please excuse any grammar, pathetic typos, or satanic versus known as "auto-correct" as this was posted via Tapatalk from my budget Honor 5X
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

thebs
Master
Master

Postby thebs » Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:04 am

Walter wrote:

The one thing I didn't do yesterday, until close of play, was to turn it off at the mains. I've been having some intermittent internet dropouts, which I think is down to the ISP. If this happened at some point yesterday and the machine got stuck in an unrecoverable but sustainable state, perhaps that would explain it - just a guess.

Loriath drinks to curb his awesome intellect. What is he like when he's not hung over!

Many thanks to all.

Yeah, that was a really good reminder. And now I've gotta ask ...

What is your network topology? Are you using a surge protector on your RG-6 cable or RJ-11 DSL in, before it gets to the modem/router (if the modem is built into your router)?

I live in Orlando, the lightning capital of the world (might not be the absolute, but definitely among high population cities), which is due to some interesting pressure between the Atlantic and Gulf (the reason we, and why Canaveral is the US' primary east space launch complex, rarely get hit by hurricanes). Surges are regular. At NASA and other aerospace sites in the area, we turn off our sensitive equipment and disconnect them from power when strikes get within 15mi (25km). Yes we watch those detectors constantly. Even just twisted pair copper in our attics fries over a decade and has to be replaced or we get lots of errors. NIC PHY chips eventually fry too, unless we have RJ-45 surge protectors near the PC.

No cable or DSL goes into our house without a surge protector at the end point before the modem. A lightning strike next door took out the neighborhood cable distributor, everyone's cable modem, router and hardwired PC ... except those on a cable surge protector, which was only ours ... with one catch.

It was so powerful that it fried the electronics of the UPS the cable surge protector was on which ended up generating a brown out when on battery power, and that caused some damage to the Router and I had to replace the one PC's PSU on it (the PC itself was fine, at least until a year later). One of the reasons to use a sacrifical, small, just good clamping rated surge protector with it's RG-6, RJ-11 and/or RJ-45 ports on it's own, with no equipment plugged in the same unit for power.

Even ground becomes an issue, especially in Florida, because our water table is only a couple of feet down.

Op

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath

Postby Loriath » Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:13 pm

Walter wrote:

Many thanks to all.

Awesome, my hangover state has been vindicated by an exorcism of a gremlin! Now, excuse me while I disconnect the mains from my Eyeballs and head..... :P
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

Schmobius
Master
Master
CMDR: Schmobius

Postby Schmobius » Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:58 pm

To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems!

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:19 pm

Walter wrote:Loriath drinks to curb his awesome intellect. What is he like when he's not hung over!

A complete pain in the arse.....

:lol:

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

Walter
Master
Master

Postby Walter » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:26 pm

Cmdr Kharma wrote:Bet that cures it......

Oh yeah! How much?

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:38 pm

Not my fault you strayed from your shutdown procedure.....

Early onset ???

:D

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

Walter
Master
Master

Postby Walter » Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:30 pm

Cmdr Kharma wrote:Not my fault you strayed from your shutdown procedure.....

Early onset ???

:D

Problem was, I stuck with my usual procedures and didn't disconnect from the mains until the usual time. OCD?

But I know a good bet when I see one.

Return to “Hardware and Technical”