Comparison of GTX960 and GTX1080

Community Support for the machines running the game
smartroad
Master
Master
CMDR: Lase Mooray (PC) smartroad78 (XBOX)
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: RE: Re: Comparison of GTX960 and GTX1080

Postby smartroad » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:24 pm

thebs wrote:Oh, cool, sorry I missed that. Better explains why you're still at 40-50% in the benchmarks.

I don't think I mentioned it, so not your fault :lol: I forget that it mostly was available in 2GB at the time. I brought it quite late in its life cycle as I wanted a decent upgrade from my ATI 7850 but didn't want to spend lots as I was also waiting for the next generation in the transistor sizes, but also wanted something that could handle games with lots of textures etc.
Group Policy - The Order of Mobius General Orders

smartroad
Master
Master

Postby smartroad » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:25 pm

thebs wrote:But Intel has the performance consumer market. I'm hoping AMD's new architecture brings Intel's pricing down. But AMD just cannot compete with Intel's fabrication lead, which went from 12 months to 36 months over the last decade.

I am holding out replacing my CPU to see what AMD is offering in this refresh of theirs.

thebs
Master
Master
CMDR: thebs
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby thebs » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:30 pm

Sevin Church wrote:Did you run the fps counter through the GeForce experience utility to get the fps count?

Screenshots look great. I'm currently running a 980ti.

I wish I could find a 4K, HDMI 2 LCD TV that also does 2K@120Hz with HDMI 2. Most models out there are either costly or have unsupported hacks, let alone still have ghosting because their actual refresh is 16-40ms end-to-end.

Understand I'm not talking 120Hz (or even 240Hz) claimed refresh. But ...

- HDMI 2 that accepts 2K@120Hz signaling
- LCD (likely not IPS) that has an 8ms refresh, end-to-end

That would let me actually get 120Hz Vsync. Otherwise, normally, I cannot see a differnece between my GTX 970 and GTX 980Ti, both are 60Hz in nVidia GeForce experience benchmarks, and I don't want a small, Gsync panel. I want a 40"+ format. ;)

This is also why I finally just went VR with it's 90Hz capable mini-LCDs. So tired of being stuck at 60Hz -- actual input and true matrix refresh -- in a large format.

Disclaimer: Please excuse any grammar, pathetic typos, or satanic versus known as "auto-correct" as this was posted via Tapatalk from my budget Honor 5X
Last edited by thebs on Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

thebs
Master
Master
CMDR: thebs

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Comparison of GTX960 and GTX1080

Postby thebs » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:51 pm

smartroad wrote:
thebs wrote:But Intel has the performance consumer market. I'm hoping AMD's new architecture brings Intel's pricing down. But AMD just cannot compete with Intel's fabrication lead, which went from 12 months to 36 months over the last decade.

I am holding out replacing my CPU to see what AMD is offering in this refresh of theirs.

It'll at least force Intel to drop prices from it's current US$100-200 i3, 200-400 i5 and $400-800 i7 tiering that has remained unchanged since 2009. Other than sales that, at best, knocked US$50-100 off, the only best time to buy Intel has been either Black Friday deals (at least here in the US), or when a new product comes out.

I bought my Haswell units on Black Friday 2014 and when the SkyLake hit fall 2015. Easily got $100-170 off the CPU+board, H97+i5-3.5 and Z97+i7-4.0, as a result.

I never like to spend more than $200-300 on a CPU+board. I also never like to spend more than $25-40 on an enclosure either. I'd rather put the money into the GPU, PSU, memory and Storage, respectively.

Not surprising, I buy those asynchronously. GPUs, PSUs and Storage when on-sale, usually with Mail-in-Rebate (MIR). Memory either in a bundle, or when on-sale. Part of the reason I haven't even looked at LGA-1151/SkyLake is that I'm waiting for 32GiB (2x16GiB 1R UDIMM) kits, with competitive latency, to drop in price. I figure by BabyLake and the 120 series chipsets, that low-latency will have dropped.

It's exceedingly rare that I ever buy a GPU or Storage together with a CPU+Board. And I always have spare PSUs around for a reason, especially those small, costly SFX units for my tiny cubes.

My only impulse buys have been that Gigabyte GTX 970 4GiB at Microcenter last fall, and that's because they price matched Amazon who had it on-sale. I'm still glad I purchased my GTX 980Ti 6GiB for $500 in April, as I've gotten 2.5 months of great use out of it, and my Rift is coming in this week, while I'd still be waiting on getting a GTX 1070 now, for not much less money.

Disclaimer: Please excuse any grammar, pathetic typos, or satanic versus known as "auto-correct" as this was posted via Tapatalk from my budget Honor 5X
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

CMDR Abil Midena
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Abil Midena

Re: Comparison of GTX960 and GTX1080

Postby CMDR Abil Midena » Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:30 pm

I'm jealous you could even buy a 1080 with the crap availability there is. I've been watching newegg for weeks, and they are never in stock.
My Youtube Channel
Elite - Elite - Elite

smartroad
Master
Master

Re: Comparison of GTX960 and GTX1080

Postby smartroad » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:33 pm

CMDR Abil Midena wrote:I'm jealous you could even buy a 1080 with the crap availability there is. I've been watching newegg for weeks, and they are never in stock.

I had marked several sites and watched them like a hawk, jumped in and after i got mine noticed they were gone about an hour later!

Now just waiting for the Vive.

Return to “Hardware and Technical”