Community Support for the machines running the game
thebs
Master
Master
CMDR: thebs
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

The Rift has shipped!

Postby thebs » Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:54 am

I just got an e-mail today (Friday) that my Rift has shipped, UPS tracking number and all! I had no estimated ship date prior at all, just checked as recently as Wednesday, with only a general warning that my batch would not ship until August ... and then bam! There it is! Out of the blue! Already shipped, tracking number and all, as of today!

I was honestly going to cancel my order very soon. I figured HTC would figure out their issues with the Vive running Elite by the time Oculus finally got their queue to my order in early May. But I kept it in there, just in case they shipped before the Vive figured out its issues. In all honesty, I wanted a Vive instead, for other games. But the last few updates have made me think they aren't going to figure out all the issues with Eilte, so I held off cancelling my order. So I'm kinda glad I'm getting the Rift next week, as I really only want to play Elite, maybe some DCS World too.

I guess I'm now looking at it this way ... I'll have the Rift for my man cave with the HOTAS and everything for Elite and DCS. Then I'll get a Vive around Christmas for the wife in the main living room with more space, probably a GTX 1070 too if they make it in a 8" (or smaller) length version. In any case ... will be looking forward to seeing how it performs on my i7-4790K with the GTX 980 Ti very shortly!
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

JustSomeGuy
Master
Master
CMDR: Murhapuro
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: The Rift has shipped!

Postby JustSomeGuy » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:15 am

thebs wrote:...probably a GTX 1070 too if they make it in a 8" (or smaller) length version.

So something like this? :)
I play on PC, in the Mobius PVE Eurasia group.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:48 am

Will be interesting to read.
VR and games are great. There is no arguing against that and even though the resolution can't compare to my screen it is a hoot and a half.

For some reason I can't quite understand.
I just can't stop doing backflips in the buggy or jumping off cliffs. I must have spent an hour last night just jumping off the cliff sides near Farseer.
So apparently I do not get the motion sickness, just the occasional rollercoaster like floating stomach feel, only minus the mortal fear and the not so manly shrieking..

I am personally still doing a long tweak/bughunt and just playing around on my vive.
Before writing up a more proper review/experience post with focus to what I am doing to get the most out of ED and other things.

► Show Spoiler

Upping supersampling in Elite seem to do wonders for the largest issue with the vive but it does cost quite a bit in performance...

Anyhoo I am also tempted to get the CV1 as well. Probably shouldn't have canceled it but having one let slone both is qiute ludicrous amount of money to spend on something that is basically a toy. Then again I am coming up on that age where a small mid life crisis is just expected, and it is cheaper than a motorcycle or a two seater sportscar..

Update:
Mostly fixing stuff, it is a side effect of forum posting with the phone while procrastinating getting out of bed :S
I'm sure there are more I have missed.
Last edited by TorTorden on Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:00 am

TorTorden wrote: Then again I am coming up on that age where a small mid life crisis and it is cheaper than a motorcycle or a two seater sportscar..

I went with that option.....

:D

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

thebs
Master
Master

Re: RE: Re: The Rift has shipped!

Postby thebs » Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:29 am

JustSomeGuy wrote:
thebs wrote:...probably a GTX 1070 too if they make it in a 8" (or smaller) length version.

So something like this? :)

Oh cool, Gigabyte is making a 170mm (6.7") long GTX 1070 after all! I have their GTX 970, and it's worth the few extra bucks and few knocks off the clock to have the portability of a small, sub-10" deep case.

Disclaimer: Please excuse any grammar, pathetic typos, or satanic versus known as "auto-correct" as this was posted via Tapatalk from my budget Honor 5X
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

thebs
Master
Master

Postby thebs » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:10 pm

TorTorden wrote:eAnyhoo I am also tempted to get the CV1 as well. Probably shouldn't have canceled it but having one let slone both is qiute ludicrous amount of money to spend on something that is basically a toy. Then again I am coming up on that age where a small mid life crisis is just expected, and it is cheaper than a motorcycle or a two seater sportscar..
Being one of the few, virtually debt-free Americans (I even own my house outright, no mortgage), I've long learned to not give into my passions with dollars. I even went back'n forth on the GTX 980Ti and Oculus Rift purchase, until I gave myself credit for not buying a new notebook for 5-6 years, and sticking with old, US$300 used Dell Precision m4600 products. So, with that said ...

Being a 2-seat coupe lover, I just cannot let this go ...
[Off-topic] Depends on where you live, and what you want.

Here in the US, if you want a small, nimble, 2-seat coupe, the demand is much higher than supply. The domestic manufacturing, even of import brands, has decided it's not worth the investment and lower profit margins. And then there is the stigma.

There is a male attitude small, nimble, 2-seat coupes are unmainly, among the sports car ignorant ... which is utterly heavy in the US where most Americans only know Formula 1 (and "Formula 1 lite," IndyCar) and NASCAR. Sure, they love it when ALMS/USCC comes to down with IndyCar, and end up enjoying it more, but that's because of the exotic imports are usually involved.

But Americans, aggregately, are still wholly ignorant of the SCCA, and the class of small, nimble, 2-seat coupes -- what we often call roadsters -- and because they aren't manufactured in quantity, they are artificially costly in the US ... even used. Only the underpowered Mazda Miata/MX-5 is affordable, a great roadster handling-wise, but easily outclassed -- part of the reasons. Also being "the chic" stigma on power. Used Pontiac/Saturn Solstice/Sky, even the non-Turbo versions are over-priced, and because of blind American belief that Honda is always reliable, even the Honda S2000 -- used, in poor condition -- costs 2x what it does in Britain, of better quality.

So the US is basically an import consumer of small, 2-seat, sport coupes. People paying >>US$50K for them from overseas, with costly, domestic repair prices.

Then you have the opposite in full size, luxury, >>1G lateral sports cars in the US. You can have Porsche owners and writers laud it, and even Top Gear UK laud it, but most Americans under 50 refuse to buy a US$50K Corvette, despite the hot laps, handling (even reduction in top speed from the prior generation in favor of on-body downforce, even without wings, which GM refuses to sell for liability reasons), quantum leap in improvement of the interior (to the point most <US$100K Porsche owners admit it is plastic in comparison to the latest Corvettes, and one has to spend >US$100K to get as good in a Porsche), and that means they are often $5-10K below list.

Total cost of ownership is cheap compared to anything -- "Repair costs of a Cobalt, 1/10th anything else" as Jay Leno used to say" -- but the stigma of the "old man's car" sticks. It's so bad that it's the Corvette, with full comprehensive, is the cheapest car to insure in the US, period, of any car, of any category, period. Even track insurance is dirt cheap for it because of its handling and stability.

Trust me, there's not a time when I don't mention to Tadge (Corvette Chief Engineer) that they really need to introduce a smaller roadster with a smaller V8 pushrod. The low-RPM torque in GM's 5th Gen pushrod would make it the ultimate drift car, and get the younger generation interested in Corvettes again, let alone would become a popular seller for SCCA clubs. But it's really beyond him, and GM, the bean counters and other things.

As he told me once, their focus studies literally caused older people to say, "That's not a Corvette, I wouldn't buy it" while the kids go, "I would never buy a Corvette, not even if they had a 2-seat roadster that out-performed and out-drifted anything." Kinda the world the US consumer is.

Especially when the younger generation is so obsessed with exclusivity and snobbery, 1-up'ing each other, instead of inclusivity and sharing.

Case-in-point: Even Porsche owners feel it too, here in the US. Their average owner age is within a decade of Corvette owners, and like Corvette owners, they are looked down upon as "too inclusive," waiving to each other on the road, having picnics and tailgates where "everyone else has one." Actual performance and comeradery is now secondary to assumptions of performance and stand-off'ish exclusivity.

And that totally explains why sports car racing is slowly dying here in the US too. Americans eithee want the Formula 1 experience, for the aforementiondd, or are part of thr trailer institution of NASCAR ovals (even though NASCAR has non-ovals too, just not remotely popular).

My wife had given me full approval to buy a new, US$100K Corvette Z06. But I'd rather keep saving for retirement, and diversifying into more land, and more remote land ... especially if things really go to crap and the US dollar becomes worthless like a lot of us yesteryear, "stay our of our lives, men and women know better for people than the gov't, stay out of our pocketbooks, Americans help one another better than the gov't," American Libertarians believe is not a matter of "if," but "when." Heck, right now the US Fed is far, far more exposed to thr EU and the Euro, than the UK, but you wouldn't know it from any media.

Florida, even though in the top 10 states, sending far more in taxes to the federal that it receives despite all the retirees (it's actually more young people now) and the space programs, is still too heavily dependent on tourism. Texas, on the other hand, could be it's own country.
[/offtopic]

Disclaimer: Please excuse any grammar, pathetic typos, or satanic versus known as "auto-correct" as this was posted via Tapatalk from my budget Honor 5X

JustSomeGuy
Master
Master
CMDR: Murhapuro

Postby JustSomeGuy » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:35 pm

thebs wrote:Oh cool, Gigabyte is making a 170mm (6.7") long GTX 1070 after all! I have their GTX 970, and it's worth the few extra bucks and few knocks off the clock to have the portability of a small, sub-10" deep case.

Do you prefer Gigabyte cards, and why? Just asking because I was thinking about GTX 1070 card from MSI if I decide to continue with Nvidia card.
I play on PC, in the Mobius PVE Eurasia group.

thebs
Master
Master

Gigabyte Mini-ITX length GTX 970 and GTX 1070 -- WAS: The Rift has shipped!

Postby thebs » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:58 am

JustSomeGuy wrote:
thebs wrote:Oh cool, Gigabyte is making a 170mm (6.7") long GTX 1070 after all! I have their GTX 970, and it's worth the few extra bucks and few knocks off the clock to have the portability of a small, sub-10" deep case.

Do you prefer Gigabyte cards, and why? Just asking because I was thinking about GTX 1070 card from MSI if I decide to continue with Nvidia card.
I prefer whatever has good reviews. Per-model is the only way to choose.

That said, Gigabyte is just one OEM who uses a couple of different ODMs, but has a pretty unique number of products. They are the only ones producing "higher end," Mini-ITX length (170mm/6.7") video cards from what I've seen. They were also very early with the pico-ITX solutions, like the Gigabyte BRIX. I.e., they have both AMD and Intel products, the latter often being cheaper, but more capable, than the Intel NUC.

My Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini-ITX hasn't overheated at all. Runs fairly cool, just a tad thicker than normal, double-slot card.
- http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/gi ... iew,1.html

BTW, I utterly disagree with the author there on cooling. He obviously is not using a small Mini-ITX where the CPU is right against the side of the case, and bringing in very cool air. And because the GPU is right up, flush against the other side, bringing in its own, cool air, I have trouble assembling anything else. The HDs at the front get the front air, the GPU on one side gets that side's air, the CPU on the other side gets that side's air.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:53 pm

I am double dipping into the insanity.

Placed an order on the 4th, got the email that it's been processed yesterday evening.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:29 pm

TorTorden wrote:I am double dipping into the insanity.

Placed an order on the 4th, got the email that it's been processed yesterday evening.

Maybe you can do me a favor and pick up an OSVR HDK2 when it's available, and do a head-to-head-to-head comparison, taking into account wearing glasses, and then let me know which one's the best? :P

PS. I always wanted a little 2-seater. I was even looking at a TR4. But at 6'-5" tall and not being very bendy, I can't even fit standing up with the top down. I can't even fit in what I learned to drive in, and still my favorite car, a '67 Mustang fastback. :(
It's time to give this another go.

Return to “Hardware and Technical”