thebs
Master
Master
CMDR: thebs
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: RX 480 - time to upgrade. (for me)

Postby thebs » Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:44 am

GlobusDiablo wrote:
TorTorden wrote:And the 1070 is more than twice as expensive than the 480. You are kinda focusing on wattage and completely forgetting that part.
In my defence he is arguing two points, one that buying a 1070 would require upgrading other components, which in fact as far as I can tell he does not. So there. ;)

A GTX 1070 would probably do well with any true, quad-core (not 2/4, but 4/4 core/threads) i5 product.

That includes going all the way back to late 2010 with the SandyBridge generation. There hasn't been that much improvement at all since those old i5-2400 or i5-2500 products.

My old i5-2500K is within 15-20% of the performance of my i5-4590K at stock, and then one is usually hitting GPU limitations before the CPU. The new i5-6500 products are really not much faster either.
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

diss3cted
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: diss3cted

Postby diss3cted » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:54 am

I am sorry, I might have been not specific enough.

If I would get a card of a 1070 or 1080 caliber, I would only warrant the buy for myself by upgrading the rest of the system at the same time- I do not want a high speed card, if my MoBo is just middle class, my RAM DIMMs are mediocre speeds, the PSU still old 2.1 ATX, etc. -> just as it is right now.

There is no NEED to upgrade the system, I agree. I just don't want the rest of my build to be the bottleneck after spending quite alot of money on a mighty GPU... So it is actually more like a preference.

I don't know.. like not spending a couple of hundred Euros for an Android-driven super duper car radio and amplifier, while the car is still having just mediocre speakers installed, or so.

... I hope that makes sense? Or not... I don't know. :D
"In humility lies true greatness. And in beer. Everything is greater with beer."

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: GlobusDiablo
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby GlobusDiablo » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:40 am

diss3cted wrote:I am sorry, I might have been not specific enough.

If I would get a card of a 1070 or 1080 caliber, I would only warrant the buy for myself by upgrading the rest of the system at the same time- I do not want a high speed card, if my MoBo is just middle class, my RAM DIMMs are mediocre speeds, the PSU still old 2.1 ATX, etc. -> just as it is right now.

There is no NEED to upgrade the system, I agree. I just don't want the rest of my build to be the bottleneck after spending quite alot of money on a mighty GPU... So it is actually more like a preference.

I don't know.. like not spending a couple of hundred Euros for an Android-driven super duper car radio and amplifier, while the car is still having just mediocre speakers installed, or so.

No worries. Your reasons are your reasons. I can respect that. :)

thebs
Master
Master
CMDR: thebs

Re: RE: Re: RX 480 - time to upgrade. (for me)

Postby thebs » Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:15 am

Well ... what are your current specs?

ATX PSUs have not changed much in a decade.

DDR4 isnt really faster than DDR3, latency is still the main issue, and cheap DDR4 is notorious for often having worse latency than common DDR3 out there (this has improved now that DDR4 is getting more commodity).

Intel processors have not improved in performance significantly since 2010. If you have a true, quad-core i5, and not 2 core, 4 thread, then you're not really talking much in performance improvement out there.

AMD is finally just releasing a new architecture that competes in consumer gaming much better though.

Heck, I just put one of my spare GTX 970 cards in my old i5-2500K and I'm getting great performance.

Disclaimer: Please excuse any grammar, pathetic typos, or satanic versus known as "auto-correct" as this was posted via Tapatalk from my budget Honor 5X
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: GlobusDiablo
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: RE: Re: RX 480 - time to upgrade. (for me)

Postby GlobusDiablo » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:13 pm

thebs wrote:

Well ... what are your current specs?

ATX PSUs have not changed much in a decade.

DDR4 isnt really faster than DDR3, latency is still the main issue, and cheap DDR4 is notorious for often having worse latency than common DDR3 out there (this has improved now that DDR4 is getting more commodity).

Intel processors have not improved in performance significantly since 2010. If you have a true, quad-core i5, and not 2 core, 4 thread, then you're not really talking much in performance improvement out there.

AMD is finally just releasing a new architecture that competes in consumer gaming much better though.

Heck, I just put one of my spare GTX 970 cards in my old i5-2500K and I'm getting great performance.

Disclaimer: Please excuse any grammar, pathetic typos, or satanic versus known as "auto-correct" as this was posted via Tapatalk from my budget Honor 5X

Virtual rep given. :)

Return to “Hardware and Technical”