TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: VR or 4K?

Postby TorTorden » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:34 pm

And as for return on investment.
I think reddit is quite livid about how earlier adopters aren't going to be able to upgrade their hmd screen to the new ones and a lot of people feel sore already.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Walter
Master
Master
CMDR: Walter Wall
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Walter » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:36 pm

thebs wrote:
Walter wrote:Writing as someone whose attempts to come to terms with Ubuntu are tantamount to torture (current score: Ubuntu 6, Walter 1), I can understand this - I would be on reinstall 6 (at least) before getting anywhere.
Er, um, what? Linux shouldn't need to be installed more than once. Re-installing more than once will only result in the same issues every time you do.

Not so much Ubuntu (although I managed to finally cripple my first successful configuration) more Samba - trying to get Ubuntu, Windows and Mac OS sharing the same files on a network is my main problem. I don't think I'm sacrificing the right sort of chicken. Finally solved the problem and restored a semblance of sanity by buying a large thumb drive. Peace is restored.

Sorry - drifting off topic.

TorTorden wrote:And as for return on investment.
I think reddit is quite livid about how earlier adopters aren't going to be able to upgrade their hmd screen to the new ones and a lot of people feel sore already.

Hadn't seen that - bang goes the theory.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly

Postby TorTorden » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:06 pm

I could be way wrong of course.

And it might just be a case razor not yet selling the upgrade packs for headset not really for sale just yet.
(Think it's still a couple of weeks off)

And reddit is just being reddit.
Time will tell.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:27 pm

While doing some research yesterday I did read about this, but I also read on official/knowledgeable looking post somewhere that the replacement screens would be made available (no date was given).

The 1.4 version seems to work with ED, sometimes, but a lot of people do have problems. I will wait to see how the 3-clicks works out and if people can easily get ED working before I take the plunge on the 2. Or maybe I'll just get the Vive for the hand controllers and roomspace and hope they eventually get the graphics looking better.
It's time to give this another go.

thebs
Master
Master
CMDR: thebs

OSVR (VR or 4K)? -- [MOVED] CIFS/SMB and SOHO NAS

Postby thebs » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:55 am

Walter wrote:
hadn't seen that - bang goes the theory.
This is commonly an issue with modular systems. No matter how futureproof they try to make them, there's still a chance of incompatibility.

Off Topic
I've moved the CIFS/SMB (and Samba) and resulting NAS discussion to a dedicated thread ...
- viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5442
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

thebs
Master
Master
CMDR: thebs

Postby thebs » Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:02 am

GlobusDiablo wrote:
smartroad wrote:...Had some MSI parts in the past and caused me nothing my problems...

Yeah, brand loyalty is always based on most recent experience. My MSI motherboard and gfx (780) have worked flawlessly, and the reviews for their 1080 Gaming X are very good, so I'll stick with them for now. :)

That's because so few OEMs are their own ODMs. Asus used to be with Pegatron until '10, and now ASRock is Pegatron.

The OSVR is an interesting project, but I can afford a Vive for two (2) of them. I'll likely be getting a Vive for Christmas for my wife in the Living Room.

But in my case ...
Off Topic
Started my thread on the Oculus Rift, and will be posting my experiences on an i7-4790K with GTX 980 Ti.
- viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5478
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

uvelius
Master
Master
CMDR: Uvelius Sång

Postby uvelius » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:04 pm

A question to the experienced VR'ers here (seems to little for a separate topic): A client whoms case I dispatched as FuelRat couldn't send or even accept wing requests while in VR mode. Couldn't reach/activate the buttons there.
Just his inexperience, or a common issue?

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly

Postby TorTorden » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:47 pm

uvelius wrote:A question to the experienced VR'ers here (seems to little for a separate topic): A client whoms case I dispatched as FuelRat couldn't send or even accept wing requests while in VR mode. Couldn't reach/activate the buttons there.
Just his inexperience, or a common issue?

That is a poor control setup on his part or more likely, he was just clueless.

I have no problem accepting friend requests, reading mission messages, and accepting\sending wing requests, even text chatting with my vive on isn't a big issue.
(It's not like the physical buttons on your keyboard changed. So if you where touch typing before VR you can touch type with it)

Anyhoo, I haven't used the gaze triggering of the panels since I got my head\eye tracker and haven't wanted to. It's neat for a little bit but after five minutes you just figure out it's horrible.

Now I have my thumb-rest HAT bound for panels.
Up is coms, left is left panel etc etc. Then I simply navigate the UI like any other in game via the other two HAT's on my stick (that whenever a panel isn't up doubles as weapon groups and pip management.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Return to “Hardware and Technical”