Well, no more Oculus rift for me. (cause I'm getting a vive)

Community Support for the machines running the game
Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Well, no more Oculus rift for me. (cause I'm getting a vive)

Postby Loriath » Wed May 25, 2016 6:23 am

Not to mention that BookFace owns Oculus and for some, like me, the privacy implications are too high a price.
Not gonna rant, just not comfortable with the idea of "Give us all your information/data"

I respect Palmer's ability, glad he got the money to do it, but......
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby TorTorden » Wed May 25, 2016 8:16 am

Loriath wrote:Not to mention that BookFace owns Oculus and for some, like me, the privacy implications are too high a price.
Not gonna rant, just not comfortable with the idea of "Give us all your information/data"

I respect Palmer's ability, glad he got the money to do it, but......

That's also half the reason for me dropping the rift.
Fecking Facebook.
The other half is making use of our Norwegian consumer protection laws that I seriously don't mind paying a little extra for cause if anything then breaks in the next five years I have protection. Regardless of warranty.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

thebs
Master
Master
CMDR: thebs

Postby thebs » Wed May 25, 2016 3:29 pm

TorTorden wrote:That's also half the reason for me dropping the rift.
Fecking Facebook.
That's originally why I wanted the HTC Vive, along with Steam's strong, multi-platform support.

► Show Spoiler

TorTorden wrote:The other half is making use of our Norwegian consumer protection laws that I seriously don't mind paying a little extra for cause if anything then breaks in the next five years I have protection. Regardless of warranty.
While the US itself has limited consumer control via the Interstate Commerce Clause of the Federal Constitution, and the US tends to be more commercial in general, residents of some individual states can have some good consumer protection laws in the US. I.e., consumer protection and law enforcement is a default state power per the US Constitution, with very limited exceptions.

► Show Spoiler
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

Digga
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Digga

Postby Digga » Sun May 29, 2016 8:55 pm

TorTorden, you might find this an interesting read, especially as you've switched to the vive.

thebs
Master
Master

Postby thebs » Sun May 29, 2016 10:06 pm

Digga wrote:TorTorden, you might find this an interesting read, especially as you've switched to the vive.
Appreciate it. This basically confirms why my first VR headset will be the Oculus Rift, as much as I hate the terms. But I'm getting it for Elite, and not too much else. I'll wait for VR to shake itself out for any future gaming I do.
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly

Postby TorTorden » Mon May 30, 2016 11:50 am

I was well aware of the aliasing issue with elite before ordering the vive.

But I need to stop letting a single game be the chief deciding factor for spending this much.
And Fd claim to be working to fix that, but yeah I'm not holding my breath if they do then mega bonus.

Oculus is also just behaving badly and mishandling a few things.
It was a mere day or two after I placed my order for the vive and oculus takes their stand against revive and that only makes my decision easier.

:update

I might also get an osvr kit just for fun, I hear whispers it's about on par with the dk2 only with slightly better panel resolution.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

thebs
Master
Master

Postby thebs » Mon May 30, 2016 3:28 pm

TorTorden wrote::update
I might also get an osvr kit just for fun, I hear whispers it's about on par with the dk2 only with slightly better panel resolution.
I'm tempted as well, because I have the background to hack on the unit and its code. But when I game, of which I already have limited time, I'd like to not have to fight the head unit regularly.

thebs
Master
Master

The Rift has shipped!

Postby thebs » Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:06 am

thebs wrote:
TorTorden wrote::update
I'm tempted as well, because I have the background to hack on the unit and its code. But when I game, of which I already have limited time, I'd like to not have to fight the head unit regularly.
The debate is now over for me ...
Started my thread on the Oculus Rift, and will be posting my experiences on an i7-4790K with GTX 980 Ti next week.
- viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5478

CaptnPicard2305
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: CaptnPicard2305
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby CaptnPicard2305 » Thu May 04, 2017 4:55 am

I have just purchased an MSI GTX 1080 Ti graphics card for use with my Oculus Rift. VR games now run silky smooth, just like melted butter. Indeed VR has progressed into a whole new experience with the latest cards available. I think the Oculus Rift is brilliant; especially with the touch controllers. That said, I too have my eye on getting the Vive. Best of both worlds as they say. Looking forward to your review.
My home base is Pedersen's Legacy, Mobia... Looking to team-up with other CMDR's who have made the long journey out to Colonia and then decided to stay.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly

Postby TorTorden » Thu May 04, 2017 7:43 am

CaptnPicard2305 wrote:I have just purchased an MSI GTX 1080 Ti graphics card for use with my Oculus Rift. VR games now run silky smooth, just like melted butter. Indeed VR has progressed into a whole new experience with the latest cards available. I think the Oculus Rift is brilliant; especially with the touch controllers. That said, I too have my eye on getting the Vive. Best of both worlds as they say. Looking forward to your review.

Well, that review should have been done about a year ago, well 10 months at least.
Not sure if also noted my switch to vive turned into a double dipping.
And yes the rift performs better in ED, and most games still.
Asynchronous reprojection helps, but the difference remain the same.

As for getting a Vive after a rift, financially I can't recommend it, just get the touch controllers and you can play the same games.
Granted the the rift cameras DO NOT offer full room tracking like the vive system, and require a butt load of usb ports.
But after a few weeks of goofing around with room play, I just play elite and that's about it.

I too splurged and got a 1080ti, to replace the 980ti.
But ASW still kick in, granted I can kick it up a large set of notches quality wise.
Some claim it's my i7 4790k cpu thats keeping me back, but I'll need some convincing for that.

Anyhoo, I can definitely live with the current state, and maybe consider an upgrade after Intel launches its 8th series i7.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Return to “Hardware and Technical”