Well, no more Oculus rift for me. (cause I'm getting a vive)

Community Support for the machines running the game
atraangelis
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Caylus Harken
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Well, no more Oculus rift for me. (cause I'm getting a vive)

Postby atraangelis » Thu May 04, 2017 6:26 pm

Can some one please be kind enough to shed some light on this issue for us non VR blessed folks?
Whats the issue? i was out shopping VR sets..

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Fri May 05, 2017 8:16 am

Which issue would that be?

VR in general, VR and elite?
Computer requirements?
etc etc etc.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly

Postby TorTorden » Tue May 09, 2017 12:31 pm

Well. I dusted off my Vive last night.

In short.
Big pluss and positive for the Vive.
TRACKING!
The tracking system on the vive is definitely superior to the rift.
Mainly because it doesn't use web cams, the lighthouse plattforms just need a wall socket.
The rift require a USB 3 plug, for each camera, and the HMD, so for a room like setup you would need at least three cameras, each camera only has about 1.8m cable length, the setup process refuse to complete when each camera are over <2m from another.

And they pretty much loose all accuracy and tracking starts wobbling if you get at around 2m away from a camera.
The vive's system is pretty much flawless in comparison up to 5m distance, not that I have the room to actually test that fully.
And the whole vive require one HDMI port and a USB 2 plug, that's it.
Where as a rift could require up to 4 USB 3 ports alone, and it doesn't really like sharing hubs, you can use extension cables, but your mileage will vary greatly and lead to random disconnects on the sensor.
That is not fun.

As for all the rest.
Comfort, yes the rift is lighter and feels more "set" on the face, the vive can feel a bit more wobbly.
The controllers, the touch controllers simply put makes the vive wands seem like some awkward beta experiment.

As for Elite itself.
Here is my usual settings with the 1080ti.
► Show Spoiler

This is what I used with a modicum of success with the 980ti
► Show Spoiler

On the vive I found myself having to decrease HMD quality to 1.25, whereas the rift pretty much manage 1.5 without problems.
I could try the steamvr SS setting instead.
The vive also seemed far better on contrasts, and the colours seemed more vibrant than my rift.

The SDE however is far more pronounced in the Vive, and read ability with the vive is considerably worse on the vive off center.
Seriously, if you face the station approach logo, you can't read the finer text on the info panel without turning your head a little.
SS doesn't really do anything for this, it's the lenses.

Also there is an odd bug in ED still, that presents more aliasing or pixel twinkling on the vive than on the rift, but I haven't really seen this in other vive titles.

Bottom line.
Both are amazeballs VR given you can reach good performance, in short that being at minimum for ED an i7 cpu, 16GB of fast RAM, and a 1080, sure you can technically play with a 970, but really no. I wouldn't recommend that.

As per now, the rift is €710 with the touch controllers, If you are getting a VR headset, not having these would be very limiting doing anything in VR outside of Elite or other sims.
The vive is 900€, and would need the 100€ premium audio strap to compete with the rift's comfort.
But it is also roomier if you need to fit glasses.

But really, I can't truly recommend VR yet, it's first generation, and we still aren't seeing full use due to performance and software optimisations. And if it wasn't for Elite in VR being my particular flavour of catnip I wouldn't break out the HMD on a daily basis.
Although, Hotdogs, Horshoes and Handgrenades has done wonders for my shooting...

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

atraangelis
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Caylus Harken

Postby atraangelis » Tue May 09, 2017 2:24 pm

atraangelis wrote:Can some one please be kind enough to shed some light on this issue for us non VR blessed folks?

My Question was related to the thread topic.. whats up with oculus rift?

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly

Postby TorTorden » Tue May 09, 2017 4:31 pm

atraangelis wrote:
atraangelis wrote:Can some one please be kind enough to shed some light on this issue for us non VR blessed folks?

My Question was related to the thread topic.. whats up with oculus rift?

Nothing.
If anything at all. Its that they are owned by facebook.
And possibly back then, didnt have motion controllers like the vive.

It's really pick your demons.
Facebook that collect all your data and sells to the highest bidder or HTC and their child exploitative practices and the usual myriad of human rights as with any foxcon or major OEM manufacturer.

I can accept my own corrupt nature so I normally don't get to attached to causes such as these.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Return to “Hardware and Technical”