Expert
CMDR: Darwin
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

HTC Vive Aliasing / Text issues

Postby Darwin » Sun May 08, 2016 8:17 am

:lol: In the other place, finally an ack from FD

QUOTE Zac Antonaci

Hi everyone,

We’ve had a number of people mentioning that their experience in the HTC Vive is not as sharp or contains resolution/focus issues which are specific to aliasing.

We wanted to post up a quick update on our progress relating to these issues and keep you informed.

We’re implementing a fix shortly which will improve the quality of focus on the UI which we hope will significantly improve the readability. We are continuing to work on additional anti-aliasing techniques and hope to be able to share more news on these improvements soon.

We understand the frustration that this can cause and we truly appreciate your patience while we continue to work on additional fixes.

Thanks

Zac

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=247986
“Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time”
CMDR Darwin, Inara profile

KLED
Novice
Novice
CMDR: KLED

Re: HTC Vive Aliasing / Text issues

Postby KLED » Sun May 08, 2016 8:45 am

That's great! My Vive is scheduled to arrive in 2 days, I actually got Elite after preordering the Vive because it had VR support and managed to get hooked on it during the wait. With about 13 hours more work I'll have a Cutter, so if I manage to get the new ship, headset and technical improvements all together it'll be a hell of a day. Just have to hope "shortly" isn't too far away, but I'm sure I'll have plenty to keep me occupied for a while if I take a little break from Elite.

Darwin
Expert
Expert

Postby Darwin » Sun May 08, 2016 4:48 pm

For me, the text readability is the biggest problem. The aliasing shimmer you get used to.
From following the VR forum threads, the Vive quality decreased around the time of the Oculus 'fix'.
Although there were claims that the game outputs the same to both HMDs, they did not say if it was optimised for one in particular ;)
As for the home brew improvement techniques, tried most without much success.
Supersampling increase did help a bit, but killed the frame rate. Even those with a 980Ti reported unplayable rates with 2x supersampling.

thebs
Master
Master
CMDR: thebs

Postby thebs » Mon May 09, 2016 5:08 pm

Glad I'm playing the waiting game then.

I'd prefer to get the Vive, based on what I've read from those wearing glasses. But if the Oculus is the way to go for Elite, I pretty much play little else than Elite. Especially having a GTX 980Ti 6GiB.
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Mon May 09, 2016 10:10 pm

thebs wrote:Glad I'm playing the waiting game then.

I'd prefer to get the Vive, based on what I've read from those wearing glasses. But if the Oculus is the way to go for Elite, I pretty much play little else than Elite. Especially having a GTX 980Ti 6GiB.

Yeah glasses is my main worry about the rift as well.
But I honestly cant see that wouldn't be an issue with any HMD unless you can get prescription lenses for them.

Worst case scenario I will reconsider contacts again.
(Used contacts in the late 90's)

In my case it's just myopia at a -5 correction. Definitely not insignificant but not monstrous either.
With my prescription lenses and discounting a few optical aberrations I see better and clearer than most.

As someone who has been dependent on glasses for the past 28-30 years now I go for light weight frames anyways. Not the hipster-fashion-I-wish-I-was-smarter, half inch thick black frames.

(That most idiots end up leaving at home since they are bulky, cumbersome. And let's be honest you only got them to up the hipster cred)

I digression. What I meant to say is my frames should fit OK inside the rift anyways but it would probably be a better experience if I didn't need the glasses in them.
Hence why I'm reconsidering the contacts.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

thebs
Master
Master

Postby thebs » Mon May 09, 2016 10:20 pm

TorTorden wrote:Worst case scenario I will reconsider contacts again. (Used contacts in the late 90's)
Being in Florida, hitting the beach a lot, I have daily disposables. E.g., a 90 day supply runs me $90, and I get 2.5-3 years out of 90 days (i.e., one set every 10-12 days). ;)

But ... as I hit my late 30s, and now into my 40s, I have the added issue of presbyopia when corrected. I.e., I can see up close, but with correction, I can no longer as I age. It has to do with the muscles and the added focus required when lenses, contacts or glasses, are involved. With glasses, I can look below or lift them up, but that's not possible with contacts. I need at least +1.50 reading glasses when wearing contacts now. There are new laser techniques to "stimulate" the muscles and counter some of the presbyopia, but it's still in its infancy. It's part of the reason I haven't has PRK (which is better than Lasik in many ways, don't get me started, longer recovery period though), but am hopeful in another 5-10 years.

I'll be fine with VR, as I won't have to focus on objects that seem less than 6" (15cm) in front of me. It's only within 4" (10cm) that the presbyopia shows up. So if you wore contacts some 20 years ago, you will not have issues ... especially if you have trouble seeing close when you have your glasses on. It's worse with contacts as you can't just "flip them up." ;)

TorTorden wrote:As someone who has been dependent on glasses for the past 28-30 years now I go for light weight frames anyways. Not the hipster-fashion-I-wish-I-was-smarter, half inch thick black frames.
Yes, I have very small lens frames. It has the added advantage of allowing me to look down and not have to take them off to see very close.

For VR, it'll mean I won't have to take them off. But I still hear the HTC Vive was better in how it fits on the head near the ears where the frames still play a part. Even those of us who wear thin, titanium frames.
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

CMDR Abil Midena
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Abil Midena

Postby CMDR Abil Midena » Mon May 09, 2016 10:28 pm

Frankly, the aliasing and text in 2.1 b2 is horrible (worse than 2.0 horrible). The text in the gal map is terrible. Jaggies are everywhere in the UI and stations. I wouldn't pin this only on the Vive, even with what Zac said.
My Youtube Channel
Elite - Elite - Elite

Darwin
Expert
Expert

Postby Darwin » Mon May 09, 2016 11:21 pm

TorTorden wrote:Worst case scenario I will reconsider contacts again. (Used contacts in the late 90's)

I wear contacts during the day, and take them out at night, so use the Vive with glasses.
No problems to report wearing glasses with the Vive.

Lens position is adjustable back and forwards, as well as together/apart.

There is also a channel in the foam for the frame arms.

thebs
Master
Master

Postby thebs » Mon May 09, 2016 11:32 pm

Darwin wrote:

I wear contacts during the day, and take them out at night, so use the Vive with glasses.
I think that's what we were saying. There are no reported issues with the Vive and glasses.

We're more worried about the Rift with glasses, per other reports. Hence why if the Vive is not the "preferred" VR solution for Elite, we're wondering how well the Rift works with glasses in comparison. ;)

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Tue May 10, 2016 10:45 am

thebs wrote:
Darwin wrote:

I think that's what we were saying. There are no reported issues with the Vive and glasses.

We're more worried about the Rift with glasses, per other reports. Hence why if the Vive is not the "preferred" VR solution for Elite, we're wondering how well the Rift works with glasses in comparison. ;)

And it is the rift I have ordered..
My experience with vr is only the gear vr.
And I can use that fine with or without glasses, but focus is pretty much the one thing you can adjust on it.
Last edited by TorTorden on Tue May 10, 2016 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Return to “Hardware and Technical”