Redirect speaker outputs to other device in Windows

Community Support for the machines running the game
smartroad
Master
Master
CMDR: Lase Mooray (PC) smartroad78 (XBOX)
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Redirect speaker outputs to other device in Windows

Postby smartroad » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:14 am

So here is my setup, I have created an bass shaker that gives low frequency effects (vibrations) into the chair I sit on - trust me it is awesome! But here is the problem I have, I need the woofer/sub output to a specific soundcard output.

Mostly I game with my soundbar above my monitor, which is only stereo. I can (and have to test) switched to a 5.1 output on the soundcard to send the sub output to the shaker. However I loose some sound effects that are coming out of the speakers I do not have attached (center and surround). Also this setup wouldn't work when I use the big screen, as the sound is directed via the HDMI cable and played by the TV (again stereo).

What I really need is a virtual sound card that Windows would send audio to and then it could send the channels to different sound cards. So for example at my desk I would have the left, right, center and surrounds sent to the soundcard that my soundbar attaches to, and the sub channel to the built in soundcard the sub/shaker is attached to.

Does anyone know of software that allows me to do this?
Group Policy - The Order of Mobius General Orders

AndyB
Master
Master
CMDR: Andy Bulman
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Redirect speaker outputs to other device in Windows

Postby AndyB » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:25 am

Combat: Elite Trade: Elite Exploration: Elite

Mobius PvE Group Facebook Admin,
Mobius PvE Group Forum Moderator,
Mobius PvE Lead Admin,
Mobius PvE America Lead Admin,
Mobius Factions Assistant Admin,
Mobius PvE Eurasia Assistant Admin,

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:44 pm

You should be able to go into properties after defining surround (unless you use a DTS\DD compression) and deselect what speakers you don't have.

Or you could try a more hardware solution of splitting the output directly and hook the transducer on the same as your stereo speakers.
Add a highpass filter before the transducer and you won't have to change windows sound settings at all.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

thebs
Master
Master
CMDR: thebs

Looking for "Stereo Mix" perhaps?

Postby thebs » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:15 pm

AndyB wrote:this might be what you need https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/librar ... 34(v=vs.85).aspx
Indeed, what he maybe be looking for is the "Stereo Mix" recording device. This basically acts like an "internal microphone."

There's a good YouTube video of this that shows the Stereo Mix in the recording device list, being disabled by default.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jb_VU8LfQZA

The great thing about the "Stereo Mix" is that it's the raw output before any encoding. E.g., I default to outputting Elite to my 2-channel headphones (DelanClip attached), but then use the Stereo Mix to output it to my Digital Out, which is 5.1.

This way my wife can come over and watch, although in my case, there is a slight delay between the two. The headphones are over the ear, so I don't hear it at all.

► Show Spoiler
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

SemlerPDX
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: SemlerPDX

Postby SemlerPDX » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:22 pm

I use my Desktop Speakers, my Logitech G35 Headset, my Bluetooth Headset once in awhile, and a Buttkicker Gamer 2 to send the LFE vibrations to my computer chair -- I use VoiceMeeter Banana (and VB Audio Cables A, B, and HiFi) to route all those sounds around. I use it a lot for streaming and recording output management myself.

It's freeware (donation suggested I believe) and it can have 5 inputs and 3 outputs with optional up/downmix as well as EQ options. It can do exactly what you described, and though you may have found an option already (this is a rather old thread) others may still benefit from reading this as it came up in my own search for further ED Audio solutions. I'm also a Mobius PvE player out of HIP 10716 (for now) - glad to help anyone out with audio ?'s

DarkMere
Master
Master
CMDR: DarkMere
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby DarkMere » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:47 pm

smartroad wrote:So here is my setup, I have created an bass shaker that gives low frequency effects (vibrations) into the chair I sit on - trust me it is awesome!

Forgive me, I just have a dirty mind :roll:

Hope you find the solution to your problem.

thebs
Master
Master
CMDR: thebs

Postby thebs » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:04 am

SemlerPDX wrote:I use my Desktop Speakers, my Logitech G35 Headset, my Bluetooth Headset once in awhile, and a Buttkicker Gamer 2 to send the LFE vibrations to my computer chair -- I use VoiceMeeter Banana (and VB Audio Cables A, B, and HiFi) to route all those sounds around. I use it a lot for streaming and recording output management myself. It's freeware (donation suggested I believe) and it can have 5 inputs and 3 outputs with optional up/downmix as well as EQ options. It can do exactly what you described, and though you may have found an option already (this is a rather old thread) others may still benefit from reading this as it came up in my own search for further ED Audio solutions.

It's really sad 3rd party software is required to do this on Windows. The entire audio/video subsystem in even Windows 10 is still extremely basic, and Microsoft was well behind even Linux on media players and solutions in the late '90s**. The base Windows mixer redirect (like my aforementioned solution) is a kludge to begin with, including timing and synchronization issues, and any 3rd party software that can provide drivers that improves the situation is greatly recommended.

► Show Spoiler
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

Return to “Hardware and Technical”