Community Support for the machines running the game
Cmdr Chemtrail
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Brassik
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Hardware advice required

Postby Cmdr Chemtrail » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:54 pm

Lots of good advice already. I'll just add. Look about for the case you want. A nice spacious one with easy access for the twice a year clean out.

One where you can thread all the cables through the back for extra tidiness and has room for decent size fans on the front and top.
I'd also get a liquid CPU cooler but that's up to you.
An SSD for windows. You'll laugh at how quick it boots up compared to your old pc. Seconds instead minutes lol

I have an idea your old DVD -RW wont work on your new system though. If its from the 8 year old machine that is.

AndyB
Master
Master
CMDR: Andy Bulman

Postby AndyB » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:12 pm

Cmdr Chemtrail wrote:
I have an idea your old DVD -RW wont work on your new system though. If its from the 8 year old machine that is.

not wqithout an IDE to SATA and a sata power to molex adaptor and its hardly worth it as you can get a new DWDRW for not much more than a tenner, here's an example at £12.95 https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus-24x ... 56-as.html
Combat: Elite Trade: Elite Exploration: Elite

Mobius PvE Group Facebook Admin,
Mobius PvE Group Forum Moderator,
Mobius PvE Lead Admin,
Mobius PvE America Lead Admin,
Mobius Factions Assistant Admin,
Mobius PvE Eurasia Assistant Admin,

DelayedReaction
Novice
Novice
CMDR: DelayedReaction

Postby DelayedReaction » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:11 am

AndyB wrote:
Cmdr Chemtrail wrote:

not wqithout an IDE to SATA and a sata power to molex adaptor and its hardly worth it as you can get a new DWDRW for not much more than a tenner, here's an example at £12.95 https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus-24x ... 56-as.html

The dvd-rw is about the newest thing in there, aside from the gpu, it's a sata drive so I imagine that will be fine

DelayedReaction
Novice
Novice
CMDR: DelayedReaction

Hardware advice required

Postby DelayedReaction » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:18 am

Bowza wrote:for the Budget he has I would look towards an intel 6th Gen cpu as minimum sitting on a Z170 mobo

something like that

https://www.aria.co.uk/Systems/Bundles/ ... ctId=65686

I'm actually liking the look of that bundle, will have to see what the funds are like on payday to see if I can grab it, or ask a friend to lend me the difference or w/e, I'll think of something

Incidentally, does anyone know what the max capacity of that board is?

AndyB
Master
Master
CMDR: Andy Bulman

Postby AndyB » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:58 am

DelayedReaction wrote:
Bowza wrote:

GA-Z170-Gaming K3 Specifications
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/produc ... id=5720#sp

Q: did anyone else think on seeing the boards colour scheme that it was an ASUS ROG board? its a dead ringer for my Crosshair fomula V with all that red and black.
Combat: Elite Trade: Elite Exploration: Elite

Mobius PvE Group Facebook Admin,
Mobius PvE Group Forum Moderator,
Mobius PvE Lead Admin,
Mobius PvE America Lead Admin,
Mobius Factions Assistant Admin,
Mobius PvE Eurasia Assistant Admin,

thebs
Master
Master
CMDR: thebs

Of OEMs and their ODMs (and why brand name usually doesn't matter)

Postby thebs » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:45 pm

AndyB wrote:
DelayedReaction wrote:
Bowza wrote:
GA-Z170-Gaming K3 Specifications
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/produc ... id=5720#sp

Q: did anyone else think on seeing the boards colour scheme that it was an ASUS ROG board? its a dead ringer for my Crosshair fomula V with all that red and black.
Asus doesn't own its own ODM (manufacturer) any more, as they sold Pegatron to ASRock in 2010, and ASRock's ODM agreement with Asus was completely terminated by 2012. So Asus has used various ODMs for fabrication since 2010, completely so since 2012, typically the same as many others.

E.g., ECS, FIC and Foxconn are the "Big 3" ODMs that don't sell much under their own name, and are often found "customized" for Asus, Gigabyte and MSI units -- 3 of the biggest Tier-2 OEMs -- and are often not very different as a result. ;)

The only thing that still involves brand name is their support and warranty, although that can be outsourced at any time. Heck, Google's split from Asus after the original Nexus 7 tablet was a perfect example of poor support and lack of in-house fabrication capability.

► Show Spoiler
Last edited by thebs on Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

thebs
Master
Master

Mini-ITX Anyone?

Postby thebs » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:21 pm

Cmdr Chemtrail wrote:Look about for the case you want. A nice spacious one with easy access for the twice a year clean out.
A better one is one that has static filters, so one just has to clean the filters every 3 months. ;)

Am I the only schmuck that goes Mini-ITX?

To me, I'm going to use just a single GPU, so it makes little sense to do anything but ITX to me. Then again I'm heavily travel for work, so I like to be able to port any gaming box when I'm going to be somewhere for a few months. An HDMI to the hotel's TV works, although sometimes I bring a 23" 1080p monitor too.

In all cases ...

With the GPU being "flush" against the side, pulling in cool air, it never overheats. In fact, a good, small Mini-ITX ensures all three full sides of direct, cool air over the drives, CPU and GPU components. I own no less than ten (10) different Mini-ITX solutions, a good half dozen gaming oriented.

The following three (3) are the most cost-effective in my experience, although several new products are on the market I've yet to try ...

► Show Spoiler
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

JustSomeGuy
Master
Master
CMDR: Murhapuro
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby JustSomeGuy » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:11 pm

Those boxes do look interesting, the thought of an mini-ITX build has passed through my mind a couple of times. I've only done ATX builds so far, and having a small case like that on desk would be nice change to those behemoths under the table.
It almost looks like that those cases take in a normal ATX PSU which would be helpful, and that GPU placement actually looks good, but I don't see any air filtering which would be nice.. So much easier to clean the filters than the card itself.

How about noise levels? In a large well padded case which is under the table, the noise levels are very very low even when putting both CPU and GPU to work. I assume the mini-ITX noise levels will be higher even if the components do get cool air easily, as the case has no paddings and when it sits on table. I guess it's a tradeoff, can't have everything in a small neat box :)
I play on PC, in the Mobius PVE Eurasia group.

thebs
Master
Master

Postby thebs » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:41 pm

JustSomeGuy wrote:Those boxes do look interesting, the thought of an mini-ITX build has passed through my mind a couple of times. I've only done ATX builds so far, and having a small case like that on desk would be nice change to those behemoths under the table.
I use a 42" 3D TV, so my 8" (210mm) high CoolerMaster Elite 120 fits in between two (2) of the tables (3-levels) of my corner TV stand. ;)

JustSomeGuy wrote:It almost looks like that those cases take in a normal ATX PSU which would be helpful,
All of the products in the Elite 100 series do, and are tall enough that you can usually fit a fan of 4-5" (100-120mm) tall, depending on the case and PS. The shorter the Mini-ITX case, the shorter the CPU fan allowed.

Otherwise, if you need a 7"+ (180mm+) tall cooler, you're really losing a lot of the benefits of Mini-ITX, and should just go MicroATX instead. I mean, there are Mini-ITX cases out there that have more room, but they are almost as big as MicroATX, so it defeats the purpose. MicroATX allows up to 9.6"/250mm depth (8"/203mm is typical), which means four (4) DIMM slots are common, whereas 6.7"/170mm almost always has only two (2) DIMM slots (only the 4/8-core Atom C-series seems to have 4 in my experience).

SilverStone also has the newer SG07, SG08 and SG13 units that are 7.5-8" (190-210mm) tall, and take a full ATX PSU. Otherwise the 7" (sub-180mm) tall SG05 series I have ends up with about the same clearance being that it uses a small SFX PSU.

JustSomeGuy wrote:and that GPU placement actually looks good, but I don't see any air filtering which would be nice.. So much easier to clean the filters than the card itself.
The CoolerMaster Elite 100 series and the SilverStone SG05 series only comes with front filters at best (some Elite models none at all). However ... have you seen the magnetic filters that are out there that work with just about any case? ;)

E.g., these US$25 Elite 110 set and US$34 Elite 130 set (been meaning to try the 130 on the 120). They go on the outside, are quite effective, and are extremely easy to clean. They also sell just the side one alone for under US$10 too.

JustSomeGuy wrote:How about noise levels? In a large well padded case which is under the table, the noise levels are very very low even when putting both CPU and GPU to work.
Noise of a sub-1,000rpm 120-140mm fan is nothing compared to a 3,000rpm+ 80mm fan, and yet moves just as much, if not more, volume, depending on depth. ;)

JustSomeGuy wrote: I assume the mini-ITX noise levels will be higher even if the components do get cool air easily, as the case has no paddings and when it sits on table. I guess it's a tradeoff, can't have everything in a small neat box :)
I don't hear my box.

BTW, everyone seems to say things like you do ... until I actually bring one of my boxes to a gamer outing. Assumptions != reality.

Especially because I often have far better specs than many of them do in their full cases, no one says jack anymore. Seeing, and hearing (lack thereof), is believing. Less volume means less fans required to get more airflow per case volume resulting in lower sound and lower temperatures. Heck, there's a lot less empty space for things to echo too. ;)

But I have a lot of embedded experience, from sealed NEMA 4X enclosures with 5.25" (6x8") and 3.5" (4x6") SBCs that take +24V (instead of +12V) from external city lighting (e.g., tall street and parking lights) to even standard nano and pico boards that you find in countless OEM products today. E.g., Gigabyte BRIX, Zotac ZBox, and other variants, in addition to the well-known (and overpriced) Intel NUC.

You literally only need one (1) large fan at the front for the drives, and the GPU takes are of itself, because it's sitting right up against the panel. I kid you not, my GPU in an ITX with that cool intake right there registers 10C+ cooler than anyone ATX system I've ever seen tested, and they had side fans that only added +10db (as much as +30db if they had high air-flow 80mm)!

The Elite 120 does come with a shallow, low-rpm 80mm fan near the CPU, but I often remove it as it's a PITA, and just use a better, after-market CPU cooler. It then pulls cool air from the other side, away from and not sharing with the GPU.

Oh, and BTW, when I say "better" understand I'm using these measly US$10 Thermaltake CL-P0556 fansinks that are only 60mm tall, with 92mm ball bearing fans, in my LGA-115x systems[/url] -- yes, even LGA-1156/1155/1150 compatible (haven't tried 1151 yet). I picked up four (4) at MicroCenter for sub-US$10/each in Atlanta, while Amazon has them for under US$13/each w/free Prime shipping. Yes, they cool even tat top-tier 4.0GHz i7-4790K just fine.

Just do not confuse them with the LGA-775 units (CoolerMaster CL-P0497) that aren't compatible. They look similar, but aren't the same.
Last edited by thebs on Sun May 01, 2016 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JustSomeGuy
Master
Master
CMDR: Murhapuro
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby JustSomeGuy » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:20 pm

thebs wrote:However ... have you seen the magnetic filters that are out there that work with just about any case? ;)

E.g., these US$25 Elite 110 set and US$34 Elite 130 set (been meaning to try the 130 on the 120). They go on the outside, are quite effective, and are extremely easy to clean. They also sell just the side one for under US$10 too.

I have not seen those before, they sounds like an excellent invention, making the cleaning even easier than filters that are build in to some cases which require you to flip the case on it's head in order to get that filter out.
If (when) I do get around to build mini-ITX system, I will definately get filters like that. A bit strange that they do not mention on the page that they are magnetic. Or then the next thickness of my glasses is a guide dog.

thebs wrote:BTW, everyone seems to say things like you do ... until I actually bring one of my boxes to a gamer outing. After that, especially because I often have far better specs than many of them do in their full cases, no one says jack anymore. Seeing, and hearing (lack thereof), is believing.

I have not seen (or heard) a running mini-ITX system yet, so I made assumptions.
Sometimes I go and test things new to me myself rather than searhing the web for info, and this is one thing I do want to try out. Thinking that the next system I build for myself could be the one.

thebs wrote:Less volume means less fans required to get more airflow per case volume resulting in lower sound and lower temperatures. Heck, there's a lot less empty space for things to echo too. ;)

Right, I did not count in the much smaller volume of the case. Didn't think it all the way through I guess.

thebs wrote:You literally only need one (1) large fan at the front for the drives, and the GPU takes are of itself, because it's sitting right up against the panel. I kid you not, my GPU in an ITX with that cool intake right there registers 10C+ cooler than anyone ATX system I've ever seen tested, and they had side fans that only added +10db (as much as +30db if they had high air-flow 80mm)!

Allright allright, I'm sold already :D

Thanks for the tips, appreciated.
I play on PC, in the Mobius PVE Eurasia group.

Return to “Hardware and Technical”