Friends call me pargy

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Saitek X56

Postby JohnLuke » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:10 am

So... I've been thinking about putting my X52 Pro on the shelf and getting an X-56. I am concerned with the quality of the product though, from reading about Flip's issues and reading some reviews on NewEgg and Amazon. Is the HOTAS that bad, or are the guys who got good units just not speaking up?

I've had my X-52 for about 16-18 months now with heavy E-D use, and it's holding up just fine. I'm just considering the X-56 for more hat switches and 'something new'.

If you have an X-56, what are your thoughts or experiences on it and it's reliability?
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth

Postby Xebeth » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:45 am

Well I've had mine only a week, but (touch wood) everything seems to be ok.

The analogue stick on the throttle is a nice touch and works very well for thrusters (being analogue it give you lots of control).

The analogue stick on the stick I'm less convinced by, it works fine, but I liked to have the button that was there on the X-55 for targeting and I'm slightly nervous of using it's push feature too much, so I have it set to head look, which is ok.

Changing the LED colours is a nice touch but not a major feature. Like the X-55 the stick is quite large, so if you have small hands it can be difficult to reach all the buttons, there is a sort of platform that they have added to clip on the rest which help a little, it doesn't give much height, but does make it more comfortable.

You'll certainly have plenty of switches, and (like the X-55) it has three programmable modes, so it should cover everything you need.
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:30 pm

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

pargyrak
Master
Master
CMDR: pargyrak
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby pargyrak » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:50 pm

I also had the X52 and the X52 pro but both started to saw signs of fatigue so I got the X56

I have it for a couple weeks and just installed it on the monstertecth desk mounts.

From the begining I needed to configure a bit more deadzone for the yaw axis and today a bit more on the pitch axis.

I don't think the quality is worse than the X52 Pro but it could be better. Some squeeks from the joystick started
Order of Mobius Council
Friends call me pargy

kanegriggs
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Kane Griggs

Postby kanegriggs » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:56 am

Since we are on the topic, I have a Saitek X52. Not the pro but the cheaper $150 one. Have had it a month and it has started to squeak and creak when I move the flight stick. I was thinking about possible trying graphite power or maybe some other sort of lube to stop this. It works great but its annoying to hear it creak. Any suggestions?

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke

Postby JohnLuke » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:39 am

Thanks for the feedback Xebeth and Pargy. I'm still undecided on the purchase. I may fool around with the 'shift' feature of the madcats software for a bit, trying to get more button functionality out of the X-52 before deciding whether or not to upgrade.

Kane Griggs, if you can locate the source of the squeak, graphite powder could work but I would be concerned about it getting into the sensors and causing control response issues down the road.
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

hdpwipmonkey
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Gallanus

Re: RE: Re: Saitek X56

Postby hdpwipmonkey » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:12 pm

kanegriggs wrote:Since we are on the topic, I have a Saitek X52. Not the pro but the cheaper $150 one. Have had it a month and it has started to squeak and creak when I move the flight stick. I was thinking about possible trying graphite power or maybe some other sort of lube to stop this. It works great but its annoying to hear it creak. Any suggestions?

Mine is starting to do the same and it's LOUD. When I play in a wing my wing mates can hear it coming through my mic. I was thinking of trying some dielectric grease if I can locate where it's rubbing at.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

CMDR Reaper
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Reaper

Postby CMDR Reaper » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:42 pm

I have had my x-56 for a couple of months now, since Saitek replaced it with my "old" x-55. Actually they didn't replace it since I got to keep the x-55.

Everything is working so far, no buttons have stopped working (yet), but the only thing that is bothering me is actually also the creaking noise and feeling from the yaw. This started about a month ago. And since the yaw mechanics is inside the stick I cant lubricate it without breaking the warranty.

About the warranty, I wonder if it will be valid until a year after I bought the x-55 or a year after I received the x-56 replacement?

Return to “Hardware and Technical”