Community Support for the machines running the game
thebs
Master
Master
CMDR: thebs
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Saitek X56

Postby thebs » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:02 pm

Saitek X55 owner here. Caught it on-sale at Amazon last year for the price even under an US$150 X52 Pro. Before that I was using a US$30 Thrustmaster Hotas X, but glad I went with the Saitek X55. My only complaint with the X55 is the precision of the throttle's "nipple stick," which I use for up-down/left right.

Now they have seemingly corrected in the new Saitek X56 design, so I'm interested how well it works if anyone buys one of those.

'New Mini Analog Stick Control Surfaces

In modern space sims control is becoming more complex than in traditional atmosphere-based flight simulations, with many more inputs required to achieve true control of the space craft. Pitch, roll, yaw, backwards, forwards, up, down, left and right (the titular 6DoF) all need to be accounted for.

This is why the new mini analog sticks are required; providing four more axes of control. Assignable to any in-game axis function, or programmable using the included software, running out of control options is no longer an issue.'
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

KLED
Novice
Novice
CMDR: KLED

Re: Saitek X56

Postby KLED » Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:01 am

I wouldn't mind getting one, I've never used a HOTAS before. It's not the kind of thing I'd want to get without seeing a lot of reviews though, unless it's leaps and bounds better than its predecessors I might go for an older model and save a couple hundred dollars. I have a Vive coming sometime in May, so I'm debating whether or not to grab one and learn how to use it beforehand so I'm not trying to figure it out with a headset on somewhere down the line.

thebs
Master
Master

Postby thebs » Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:09 am

KLED wrote:I wouldn't mind getting one, I've never used a HOTAS before. It's not the kind of thing I'd want to get without seeing a lot of reviews though, unless it's leaps and bounds better than its predecessors I might go for an older model and save a couple hundred dollars. I have a Vive coming sometime in May, so I'm debating whether or not to grab one and learn how to use it beforehand so I'm not trying to figure it out with a headset on somewhere down the line.
If you want a "cheap" HOTAS to start, the Thustmaster Hotas X is a good "basic" twist stick'n throttle. That's what I initially used with E:D. Here in the US, Amazon often drops the price to $40 or even as low as $30, when on-sale. I got mine for $30 at Amazon about 5 years ago.

I debated and waited, and finally purchased the Saitek X55 when it was on-sale at Amazon for under $150. That made it as cheap as the X52 Pro. It took me a little bit to setup and get comfortable with it, but now I love it. Unfortunately the X55 is discontinued, and unless you find a reseller with lots of old stock, you're probably going to be overpaying for one. The Saitek site even redirects the X55 page to the new X56. But the X56 is new ... and $250! Gulp!

I cannot go back to the Hotas X after buying an X55. I would probably be disappointed with either the X52 or X52 Pro, because of the "analog thumb stick." I think theirs are only "hats." But as I mentioned, the X55's "analog thumb stick," or what I call "nipple," is way too imprecise, only 15 values for each axis. The new X56 seems to correct that.
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

KLED
Novice
Novice
CMDR: KLED

Postby KLED » Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:33 am

The cheapest I can see the Thrustmaster one is about $80AUD, that's not too bad (you're usually looking at about $90 for a current gen console controller here for comparison). I don't buy much from Amazon generally because factoring exchange rates and shipping to Australia it's usually quicker and cheaper to just buy locally. I could get the X52 (not pro) for $160 + probably about $30 shipping, or X55 for $255 and that's close enough to pick up.

I'm using a Steam Controller for ED (and everything else) now which I love to death, so it's not like I'm desperate to replace it.

Darr Valen
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Darr Valen
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Darr Valen » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:25 pm

I got an email from Saitek trying to sell me one early.. but. No.

I'm a long time X52 user. I love the thing. It's getting old, and worn out.. especially after an epic Elite marathon last winter/fall. But I can't seem to like the X55 or the X56. I wish they'd just make an X53 or an X52 Elite. I like the LCD panel on my throttle. I like that my HOTAS looks semi-futuristic, and futuristic enough to be prop'd into a few movies and tv shows. The Rhino line is just unappealing to me, and I really dislike the key setups.

But at the end of the day, the X56 isn't a bad looking HOTAS overall, and $249 for a new HOTAS is exceptionally reasonable. I for sure support more pilots in Elite adopting a proper HOTAS controller.

thebs
Master
Master

Postby thebs » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:08 pm

KLED wrote:The cheapest I can see the Thrustmaster one is about $80AUD, that's not too bad (you're usually looking at about $90 for a current gen console controller here for comparison). I don't buy much from Amazon generally because factoring exchange rates and shipping to Australia it's usually quicker and cheaper to just buy locally. I could get the X52 (not pro) for $160 + probably about $30 shipping, or X55 for $255 and that's close enough to pick up.
I'm using a Steam Controller for ED (and everything else) now which I love to death, so it's not like I'm desperate to replace it.
Ahhh, yeah, Amazon here in the US has us spoiled. Free 2-day shipping (even free 1-day in some metro areas) and other things for $99/year Brick'n motar businesses are dying, major shift in retail over just the last 2-3 years.

Darr Valen wrote:I got an email from Saitek trying to sell me one early.. but. No.
I'm a long time X52 user. I love the thing. It's getting old, and worn out.. especially after an epic Elite marathon last winter/fall. But I can't seem to like the X55 or the X56. I wish they'd just make an X53 or an X52 Elite. I like the LCD panel on my throttle. I like that my HOTAS looks semi-futuristic, and futuristic enough to be prop'd into a few movies and tv shows. The Rhino line is just unappealing to me, and I really dislike the key setups.
But at the end of the day, the X56 isn't a bad looking HOTAS overall, and $249 for a new HOTAS is exceptionally reasonable. I for sure support more pilots in Elite adopting a proper HOTAS controller.
If you like your X52, why change? I only like the X56 because I like the X55, and the X56 fixes my only complaint.

Darr Valen
Expert
Expert

Postby Darr Valen » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:50 pm

thebs wrote:
KLED wrote:The cheapest I can see the Thrustmaster one is about $80AUD, that's not too bad (you're usually looking at about $90 for a current gen console controller here for comparison). I don't buy much from Amazon generally because factoring exchange rates and shipping to Australia it's usually quicker and cheaper to just buy locally. I could get the X52 (not pro) for $160 + probably about $30 shipping, or X55 for $255 and that's close enough to pick up.
Ahhh, yeah, Amazon here in the US has us spoiled. Free 2-day shipping (even free 1-day in some metro areas) and other things for $99/year Brick'n motar businesses are dying, major shift in retail over just the last 2-3 years.

Darr Valen wrote:I got an email from Saitek trying to sell me one early.. but. No.
If you like your X52, why change? I only like the X56 because I like the X55, and the X56 fixes my only complaint.

"I'm a long time X52 user. I love the thing. It's getting old, and worn out.. especially after an epic Elite marathon last winter/fall. "

As I said, it's wearing out. It's not worth buying a new x52, and the x52 Pro is quite old as well. Both have issues with USB 3.0 ports.

thebs
Master
Master

Postby thebs » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:27 pm

Darr Valen wrote:As I said, it's wearing out. It's not worth buying a new x52, and the x52 Pro is quite old as well. Both have issues with USB 3.0 ports.
I don't use USB 3.0 ports for my X55 either. I'd just get another x52, let alone if you catch a sale, if you like it.

USB 2.0 ports are easily replicated, especially with a powered hub. That's how I ensure I have enough ports for my x55, DelanClip and PS3 Eye (used by the clip).

DruiD
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: -=DruiD=-

Postby DruiD » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:25 am

Love the new analog stick on the nipple ... hate how they change stick "thumb" \ secondary fire button to analog stick.
Work around I suppose will be to assign "push forward" (or whatever feels most natural) on the new analog stick to secondary fire group but I really like the big thumb pad to mashing off a missile salvo or holding down to do my ADV. Discovery \ warrant scanning etc.

Yeah . not a fan of the analog mini stick on the main stick .. not at all..

Darr Valen
Expert
Expert

Postby Darr Valen » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:40 am

thebs wrote:
Darr Valen wrote:As I said, it's wearing out. It's not worth buying a new x52, and the x52 Pro is quite old as well. Both have issues with USB 3.0 ports.
I don't use USB 3.0 ports for my X55 either. I'd just get another x52, let alone if you catch a sale, if you like it.

USB 2.0 ports are easily replicated, especially with a powered hub. That's how I ensure I have enough ports for my x55, DelanClip and PS3 Eye (used by the clip).

If it fails, I am getting the x52 Pro. No sense buying another x52, since they're old. I'd still prefer another HOTAS in the x52/x52 Pro line. Not everyone is into that warthog look. I like how the 52's are semi-futuristic looking.

Using my old PS3 USB Hub as it is, to avoid that crazy mouse/freezing issue with Saitek and Windows. My PSEye works fine with my standard 3.0 ports though.

Idea for when the super-heavy ships come out. dual throttle HOTAS controllers could do thrust turns using one or the other thrust axis. The Imperial Cutter is already large enough that when hauling, you need to be able to turn and control speed smartly. Would be nice to see that expanded for the Panther and such.

Return to “Hardware and Technical”