Community Support for the machines running the game
SJT
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Stephen Taylor
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Overwolf and Teamspeak

Postby SJT » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:40 am

I've noticed some people using Overwolf and some not. I find it very useful so I thought I'd post about it here as you may not know about it or how to get it to work with Elite Dangerous.

Basically, Overwolf allows you to see who's in your TS channel and who is speaking from within the game running in Full Screen mode. ED isn't currently supported but you can add it to the Overwolf game list by doing the following.

Install Overwolf - http://www.overwolf.com

Find the file that looks something like this AppData\Local\Overwolf\GamesList.7804102.xml and open it in Notepad or some other text editor.

Add the following to the bottom of the games list, changing the ID number (currently 105902) to read one more than the last entry in the game list.

Code: Select all

<GameInfo>
  <ID>105902</ID>
  <GameTitle>Elite Dangerous</GameTitle>
  <LuancherNames>
      <string>EliteDangerous32.exe</string>
  </LuancherNames>
  <GameRenderers>D3D11</GameRenderers>
  <InjectionDecision>Supported</InjectionDecision>
</GameInfo>

Save the file and run ED.

You may have to repeat the process if Overwolf updates the game list.

Neillm
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Zachus

Re: Overwolf and Teamspeak

Postby Neillm » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:55 am

Thanks for this. I have a second monitor but it'll be nice to be able to flick my eyes up on the main screen. Of course, I have to remember to start teamspeak first... :roll:

Flip
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Flip Martin

Postby Flip » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:26 pm

Thanks for the instructions, Stephen! Deserved to be sticky.
We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty! ―Douglas Adams

christoff
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Christoff

Postby christoff » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:16 am

Neillm wrote:Thanks for this. I have a second monitor but it'll be nice to be able to flick my eyes up on the main screen. Of course, I have to remember to start teamspeak first... :roll:

Apologies if this is a stupid question, but can you have a second monitor running a different app/tool, etc whilst having ED on your main screen from the same PC?
[url="http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=38362"]Image[/url]

SJT
Competent
Competent

Postby SJT » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:48 am

christoff wrote:
Neillm wrote:Thanks for this. I have a second monitor but it'll be nice to be able to flick my eyes up on the main screen. Of course, I have to remember to start teamspeak first... :roll:

Apologies if this is a stupid question, but can you have a second monitor running a different app/tool, etc whilst having ED on your main screen from the same PC?

Yes you can. You can choose what arrangement of monitors you have on desktop settings (eg over and under or side by side) and the mouse pointer will travel from screen to screen.

If you just need a browser, you can run one from Overwolf as a overlay on your game screen.

christoff
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Christoff

Postby christoff » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:53 am

Excellent, I have just managed to set this up, thankyou.

Will save me using my tablet, and much easier having input from 1 keyboard now.

Just to check that I have the settings correct, when I move the mouse over to the second monitor in ED the main screen minimises to the desktop, it will restore again when I click on the ED icon on the taskbar of either monitor. Is this correct, or should ED stay in full screen on my main monitor?
[url="http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=38362"]Image[/url]

SJT
Competent
Competent

Postby SJT » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:51 pm

christoff wrote:Excellent, I have just managed to set this up, thankyou.

Just to check that I have the settings correct, when I move the mouse over to the second monitor in ED the main screen minimises to the desktop, it will restore again when I click on the ED icon on the taskbar of either monitor. Is this correct, or should ED stay in full screen on my main monitor?

I've never had ED minimise when moving the cursor to the second screen. There must be a setting to change this somewhere but I don't know what it is. Sorry.

pgrunt
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: PGRUNT

Postby pgrunt » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:40 am

Just installed the new TS3 client.
Overwolf kept nagging me for a DirectX file that is out of date so I removed it.
I am still on Windows Vista that is DirectX 11.0 only, not sure if this is the problem.
I also do some hobby coding that still uses the DX9 SDK and I don't want to mess it up. :(

Glen Fiddik
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Glen Fiddik

Postby Glen Fiddik » Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:52 pm

TeamSpeak Overlay now works fine with the latest TS. Just download the plugin and go through the settings tab options :)

RedDevilGiant
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: RedDevilGiant

Postby RedDevilGiant » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:10 pm

SJT wrote:
christoff wrote:Excellent, I have just managed to set this up, thankyou.

I've never had ED minimise when moving the cursor to the second screen. There must be a setting to change this somewhere but I don't know what it is. Sorry.

The option is called "Borderless", which basicly makes the game windowed and positions it as if its fullscreen, this way when you ALT-Tab, you won't minimize the game

Return to “Hardware and Technical”