If you haven't seen it already, here it is:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthrea ... ost3195101

► Show Spoiler

Edit: More info here:
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthrea ... ost3426849

smartroad
Master
Master
CMDR: Lase Mooray (PC) smartroad78 (XBOX)
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Recommended MINIMUM specs for Elite: Dangerous VR revealed

Postby smartroad » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:31 pm

Well I am 2 steps down from that with a 960 :lol:

I wonder what graphics level that is? I assume Ultra (I haven't read the links, the official forums give me gas :D)
Group Policy - The Order of Mobius General Orders

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: GlobusDiablo

Postby GlobusDiablo » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:14 pm

smartroad wrote:Well I am 2 steps down from that with a 960 :lol:

I wonder what graphics level that is? I assume Ultra (I haven't read the links, the official forums give me gas :D)

The point is that E: D and probably other games are more demanding than these "VR Ready tests" would have us believe. If VR is going to work as intended it has to be lag and latency free and with "high" fidelity to justify the prices involved in this venture. Apparently even a GTX980TI struggles on planets. And when a VR struggles, you barf.

So fingers crossed even more than before for the the next generation Pascal cards by Nvidia. :)

CMDR Abil Midena
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Abil Midena
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby CMDR Abil Midena » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:26 pm

This is why I've been telling people not to upgrade if they were thinking about it, until Pascal comes out this year. They think a 980ti will be good enough, and it won't.
My Youtube Channel
Elite - Elite - Elite

bootsam
Expert
Expert
CMDR: bootsam

Postby bootsam » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:40 am

I'm not upgrading until VR has settled and things become clearer. I intend to go the full VR route but as of now I dont know which VR or which specs reliably enough to formulate a decision. Thus I intend to wait and see. I suspect this time next year, besides this yr is new bike year and thats expensive enough.

possedi amabilia fasciculum coconuts

charlie2alpha
Expert
Expert
CMDR: charlie2alpha

Postby charlie2alpha » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:51 am

I personally have intention to even consider VR until the prices become more reasonable and it can be handled by an average PC. The companies will always try to push something new on us so they can profit from it, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it will be accepted by the majority of the customer base. 3D TVs for example didn't sell as much as the companies hoped they would, most people consider them just a gimmicky gadget. I'm looking at VR with skepticism, overpriced, isolates you completely from the surrounding environment, awkward/bulky equipment.

AndyB
Master
Master
CMDR: Andy Bulman

Postby AndyB » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:45 am

charlie2alpha wrote:I personally have intention to even consider VR until the prices become more reasonable and it can be handled by an average PC. The companies will always try to push something new on us so they can profit from it, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it will be accepted by the majority of the customer base. 3D TVs for example didn't sell as much as the companies hoped they would, most people consider them just a gimmicky gadget. I'm looking at VR with skepticism, overpriced, isolates you completely from the surrounding environment, awkward/bulky equipment.

I'm of a similar opinion and won't consider VR until you can buy a laptop that can run it for under £1500
Combat: Elite Trade: Elite Exploration: Elite

Mobius PvE Group Facebook Admin,
Mobius PvE Group Forum Moderator,
Mobius PvE Lead Admin,
Mobius PvE America Lead Admin,
Mobius Factions Assistant Admin,
Mobius PvE Eurasia Assistant Admin,

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:56 am

AndyB wrote:
charlie2alpha wrote:I personally have intention to even consider VR until the prices become more reasonable and it can be handled by an average PC. The companies will always try to push something new on us so they can profit from it, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it will be accepted by the majority of the customer base. 3D TVs for example didn't sell as much as the companies hoped they would, most people consider them just a gimmicky gadget. I'm looking at VR with skepticism, overpriced, isolates you completely from the surrounding environment, awkward/bulky equipment.

I'm of a similar opinion and won't consider VR until you can buy a laptop that can run it for under £1500

That is going to take awhile.
In fact you will probably find people swap their laptops for cellphone based vr solutions before then.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

thebs
Master
Master
CMDR: thebs

Postby thebs » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:32 am

With nVidia basically saying only the Titan for the new architecture will make its appearance on most shelves this year (very late consumer product line arrival), I finally forked over US$500 to upgrade to a GTX 980 Ti 6GiB. Was hoping to try it with my GTX 970 4GiB, but decided I had read enough.
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: GlobusDiablo

Postby GlobusDiablo » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:43 am

thebs wrote:With nVidia basically saying only the Titan for the new architecture will make its appearance on most shelves this year (very late consumer product line arrival), I finally forked over US$500 to upgrade to a GTX 980 Ti 6GiB. Was hoping to try it with my GTX 970 4GiB, but decided I had read enough.

GTX980Ti is one sweet card, but it doesn't leave a lot of wiggle room from the recommended minimum spec.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that 4 consumer versions (GTX) should be ready for release around June, so I'm hoping your intel is wrong on this matter... :)

Return to “Hardware and Technical”