Oculus taking a back seat to Vive at FD?

Community Support for the machines running the game
GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: GlobusDiablo
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Oculus taking a back seat to Vive at FD?

Postby GlobusDiablo » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:24 pm

StaticRadion
Expert
Expert
CMDR: StaticRadion
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Oculus taking a back seat to Vive at FD?

Postby StaticRadion » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:44 pm

Not strange at all because of the success of E:D on Steam. It may have even been part of the contract negotiations when E:D first went to steam. It would not be unheard of for a company to negotiate for a higher percentage in partner sales revenue in return for advertising rights, a promotional partnership, or even stock in the developing company. It could even be a strange story because they are currently in contract negotiations at this very moment and the denial at the end of the article is basically like saying "the leak of this information is not from our end".

That being said it could be a case of Steam and Vive being willing to develop the 3D game assets used in E:D for FDev. When it comes to marketing the Vive the correct niche market to target is those willing to buy or build full HOTAS setups, sim pits, monitor arrays, custom PC's and everything else you see hard core fans buy for E:D or other sim type games.

Who knows, but I am actually a bigger fan of the Vive and hope it has a better development cycle than the steam controller.

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: GlobusDiablo
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby GlobusDiablo » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:52 pm

StaticRadion wrote:...Who knows, but I am actually a bigger fan of the Vive and hope it has a better development cycle than the steam controller.

I agree. All I need is a price tag... :P

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:43 pm

GlobusDiablo wrote:
StaticRadion wrote:...Who knows, but I am actually a bigger fan of the Vive and hope it has a better development cycle than the steam controller.

I agree. All I need is a price tag... :P

Of course this is just hearsay over TS but the rumors suggest the vive will possibly launch with a price point of 1200$. twice that of the rift.

And requires even more hefty hardware than the rift.

I honestly believe siding on the side with the vive exclusively would be probably the worst way to sort VR support.

I have as much loathing for Facebook as anyone but there are limits to how much I'm interested in spending and 1200$ is about 300$ beyond that.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

StaticRadion
Expert
Expert

Postby StaticRadion » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:17 am

TorTorden wrote:Of course this is just hearsay over TS but the rumors suggest the vive will possibly launch with a price point of 1200$. twice that of the rift.

Wow, the last I hear the price point was looking like it would be closer to $600. I mean if they want to go the $1200 route I have a feeling there will be a lot of people, me included, going the Samsung+Oculus Gear VR route which seems like it is going to end up being a hell of a lot cheaper than both the Rift and Vive if you can find a cheap Galaxy S6.

Actually if they announce anything over $600 I will have the Gear VR on order within 48 hours, LOL.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly

Postby TorTorden » Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:17 am

Well I'm just repeating what some random stranger said in riff raffs so take it with a huge pile of salt. But I always thought the 300$ price point oculus first hinted at was fairly naive and almost silly considerino the tech involved.

I already have a preorder in for the oculus but since I waited a couple of days they say "shipping in june".
They won't charge me until they actually ship so canceling that until then shouldn't be a problem.
If say they announce the vive soon for up to 800$ I will probably try to get in on that and cancel the rift.

It is however a bit weird since from what I can tell the rift is the "simpler" device of the two and can't fathom why a game made to work for one wouldn't work for the other.

There is only going to be more headsets coming from more manufacturers so boxing your game in for FD now would be a severely STUPID business decision on FD's standpoint.
Then again game developers aren't exactly known for making great longterm business decisions so you never know.

As for gear vr I have it for my s6.
It's been my first vr experience since like the 90's and vr is awesome.
It is a little low res but it is a great way to play games on your phone.
I would have considered OK for watching movies but I don't really need to considing my other hobby and most of my movies are 1:1 rips from bluray and clock in at about 35 gigabytes each.
When the phone can't support sd cards and has only 32gig storage.
That's not really an option..
I know I could probably handbrake it into 720p and half the bandwidth.

Anyhoo VR is awesome I want it NOW!

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

StaticRadion
Expert
Expert

Postby StaticRadion » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:12 am

TorTorden wrote:As for gear vr I have it for my s6.

I don't have an S6, but what I do have is an expired contract with verizon that they have been trying to get me to renue for over 2 years and 2 new and unused verizon Moto-E phones. I could easily get a "free" phone that is compatible with the Samsung Gear VR and have done a good bit of research into the product. I don't usually trust reviewers as they can be bough and often have lower standards than I, but what have I really got to lose when it only costs $99 for the headset.

I fount this comparison of the two products in their retail versions and as amazing as the Rift sounds, especially after the upgrades that will come to software a bit after release, the Gear VR has more of what I want. I want to be able to use my expensive ass audio-technica headphones, have the headset focus so I don't have to wear my glasses, and power the graphics engine itself so I don't have to get a new video card but every 3-4 years.

It also is a boon that the Gear VR allows people to update their product almost every year. I know of one guy who owns the Gear VR and started with the Note 4 and is now using the S6. I really like the idea of hardware that has a short update cycle.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly

Postby TorTorden » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:17 am

No such thing as a free phone, you just pay throughout the year via your cell plan rather than a onetime lump sum. I would also off just a bit actually getting the s6 now.
From what I hear they are launching the s7 real soon like threeto four weeks from now.

If you are signing up for an expensive phone plan, you might as well not be a generation behind.

And caveats for using your phone for vr.
In about an hour and a half. Your battery is done. Time to charge.
It is low res, the vr world seems as if I have half my usual prescription but wasn't using my glasses.
It can and during some games it will heat up, start stuttering and basically force you stop for a bit.
And it's only a 90° for, you get used to it but it's not 110°.

As for the phone itself it is what it is. Really liking that it hardly use battery when idling, but surf the web or watch a movie or anything you can see the power vanish.

Anyhoo. I probably should have waited for the s7 launch myself but I don't give a hoot if I have a year old phone. And when I actually get vr headset for my pc it probably wouldn't see much use.

As for headphones. The regular rifts headphones is of course replaceable. You can use the audio technic with that as well.
Seriously those included things look like a pair koss porta-pro at best..

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Return to “Hardware and Technical”