Community Support for the machines running the game
thebs
Master
Master
CMDR: thebs
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: GPU help please

Postby thebs » Sun May 01, 2016 7:19 pm

Bowza wrote:not monitored GPU or voltage rails will try those later.
That's really key. You want to see if your GPU is slowing down due to inadequate current. The Voltage would likely drop as well. Most OEMs include a tool to accurately read them. Otherwise, there LMSensors/WMI tools and Windows programs out there.

I always laugh when people say, "Oh, my USB adapter/cable doesn't have the right voltage" when charging or using it with a Raspberry Pi or something else. No, the voltage is dropping due to insufficient current. That's always the key indicator.

Same deal with the +12V rail(s) on your PSU. Doesn't matter how much you have, 1 is as good as 3, you don't want to see any dropping under +12V.

Regarding ...
Bowza wrote:All New in October to play elite
Intel i7 6700k
16gb DDR4 domminator 3000 ram
Superflower 800 watt psu
Windows 10 64bit
CPU low 60's across all 4 cores
Other than the recent GPU upgrade (GTX 980 Ti 6GiB, from GTX 970 4GiB), I'm running an extremely similar rig from 2014.

► Show Spoiler
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

Zieman
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Zieman

Postby Zieman » Sun May 01, 2016 8:30 pm

Wow thebs, my PC is remarkably similar to yours, in the 'most talked about' specs department. :)

I built mine a bit earlier, for E: D Alpha start, 1st power on test 6th Dec 2013.
So, that's why I have i7 4770K in mine, not 4790. :)
Also, until last week, my PC sported a GTX 780 3 GB - now there's 980 Ti 6 GB in it. :)
Friendliest Meteor Police that side of Riedquat ... and keep it under Lightspeed!
My Elite: Dangerous videos , All you wanted to know about the game. And more.

Bowza
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Bowza

Postby Bowza » Sun May 01, 2016 10:30 pm

OK found the issue but not the cause

GPU load at windows desktop 96% usage,

Rebooted 3% desktop 18% in ED.

Exited ED shot back up to 96% while typing this?

What the heck is my GPU doing?

thebs
Master
Master

Postby thebs » Sun May 01, 2016 10:49 pm

Bowza wrote:OK found the issue but not the cause
GPU load at windows desktop 96% usage,
Rebooted 3% desktop 18% in ED.
Exited ED shot back up to 96% while typing this?
What the heck is my GPU doing?
There are still some memory leaks in Windows 10's WGF/Aero code. I would recommend rebooting every day, and after 4-6 hours of gaming.
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

thebs
Master
Master

Postby thebs » Mon May 02, 2016 2:30 pm

thebs wrote: ... Same deal with the +12V rail(s) on your PSU. Doesn't matter how much you have, 1 is as good as 3, you don't want to see any dropping under +12V ...
► Show Spoiler
So, for the heck of it, since the GTX 980 Ti is new, and is 250W TDP compared to only 170W TDP or so for the GTX 970 prior, I did some further testing.
► Show Spoiler
So I'm going to change out that 2 year-old PSU, and if I'm going to do that, I'm going to redo the thermal paste on the fansink too.

Bowza
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Postby Bowza » Mon May 02, 2016 5:59 pm

a process cfhost.exe was ceating the high load on the gpu

Not worked out whats loading it yet but had no gpu load issue since stopping it 4 hours ago.

need to do more work on this keep you posted.

oh i got this psu in the 850 version, a few people recomended them i used to use unbranded but the extra spend was not too hadr to justify considering the other components i selected for the build

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Supe ... -750F14MG/

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Mon May 02, 2016 6:21 pm

I Googled that process and this is first description I found on it.

Turns out this is a bitcoin mining thing, so it's pretty much a virus that takes your hardware and uses it for the creator's advantage... It's not dangerous, but it's definitely malicious and pretty disappointing that Kaspersky didn't detect it. More worried about how I got it in the first place.

Basically someone has been using your pc a bitcoin mining bot, and that tracks since I believe those run on gpu's as well.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

thebs
Master
Master

Postby thebs » Mon May 02, 2016 9:12 pm

Bowza wrote:a process cfhost.exe was ceating the high load on the gpu
Not worked out whats loading it yet but had no gpu load issue since stopping it 4 hours ago.
need to do more work on this keep you posted.
TorTorden wrote:I Googled that process and this is first description I found on it.
Turns out this is a bitcoin mining thing, so it's pretty much a virus that takes your hardware and uses it for the creator's advantage... It's not dangerous, but it's definitely malicious and pretty disappointing that Kaspersky didn't detect it. More worried about how I got it in the first place.
Basically someone has been using your pc a bitcoin mining bot, and that tracks since I believe those run on gpu's as well.
Ahhh, yeah, I should have thought of that. My apologies, I don't use the same systems (or OS in most cases) for work and gaming.

And if I do, especially when I have to boot Windows for work, I never run with Administrator privilege. I purposely never use the same account. Using any browser while you have escalated privileges (which is usually required for gaming on Windows, unlike Linux), is just asking for trouble. And then there are the "shared memory" (SHM) issues, even when you use "Run As ..." (or various "Switch User," su, options in the POSIX world), which affects all OSes (including Linux and X-Window).

► Show Spoiler

Bowza wrote:oh i got this psu in the 850 version, a few people recomended them i used to use unbranded but the extra spend was not too hadr to justify considering the other components i selected for the build
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Supe ... -750F14MG/
SuperFlower is their own ODM. I.e., they make their own stuff.

When an OEM is their own ODM, they can really solve problems quickly, as they have direct access to the design, tape-out and fabrication line. While you can still get crap from such, it's far less, because access and turn-around is so quick. SuperFlower manufactured products (and still do) for a countless number of well-known, brand name OEMs. There are a few others.

E.g., I've long used Seasonic as they've been around PSUs forever, and I've used their non-PC, non-adapter products in my earlier EE career. When it comes to SFX supplies, I use SilverStone, even though they use other ODMs (their in-house design team is quite experienced).

Bowza
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Postby Bowza » Tue May 03, 2016 5:25 pm

Well i cleaned out the efected files in widows registry and have had no strange load on the gpu for 24 hours now so all is good.

thanks all who contributed.

Return to “Hardware and Technical”