Community Support for the machines running the game
evovi
Master
Master
CMDR: Auloria
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Video capture

Postby evovi » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:08 pm

Anyone know a good capture program to use - used fraps many moons ago for raids in WoW but was very resource intensive.. And given ED is a little more "technical" wouldn't want to degrade gameplay too much whilst capturing in 1080 and having reasonable control over file size

Thanks

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Re: Video capture

Postby TorTorden » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:41 pm

If you have a somewhat recent Nvidia card you could try just using shadowplay functions, that could either start recording on a button push, or you could use the "shadow" feature for having the last few minutes saved, you know great for when something cool happens.

But that's only for Nvidia, dunno about AMD, I also find the controls a bit simplistic, and if you forget you started recording it will easily make a 20gig file after a while, I very much recommend having a large harddrive to store these on, DO NOT USE OS'S SSD !

Shadowplay can also stream directly to twitch and a few other services.

An option I'm playing with a little bit on the side now, with much more configurability (and free of charge) is the open broadcaster, it's mainly for streaming so it starts off being quite highly compressed but all these things can be tweaked as you feel, and it doesn't have to stream it can simply record as well.
This also includes the same "save the last few minutes" feature as shadowplay has so it is nothing special, only in the OBS they call it replay buffer which is more descriptive to what it actually is.

But as for degrading your gaming experience as you play, it all depends on your machine, this is after still as resource intensive as it is.
For higher quality recordings shadowplay is probably easier on the system, but it could have a very high buy in since this is a GPU feature.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

smartroad
Master
Master
CMDR: Lase Mooray (PC) smartroad78 (XBOX)
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby smartroad » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:43 pm

You can also try: https://obsproject.com/ the Open Broadcaster Software. Its a bit fiddly but can be set to record (as well as broadcast).
Group Policy - The Order of Mobius General Orders

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly

Postby TorTorden » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:44 pm

The "DO NOT SAVE TO SSD" goes for any software used, things can go wrong and it will fill your drive up entirely.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

WolfRaven
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: WolfRaven

Postby WolfRaven » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:00 pm

If you have NVidia GPU check out Shadowplay, otherwise I'd recommend the free MSI Afterburner;
http://gaming.msi.com/features/afterburner

It's mainly a GPU over-clocking program, but the video capture section is very good and has plenty of options
including compressed/uncompressed video, framerate limiter, etc.

Set up is easy, just go to MSI settings, go to Video Capture tab, set your Video Record hotkey (I use F12) & set
frame size to full if your CPU is pretty decent.
Also, you can set your record folder location there.

Flip
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Flip Martin

Postby Flip » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:09 pm

The great thing about Shadowplay is it allows you to save a video afterwards (defaults to the last 10 minutes). This is very handy when you want to capture unexpected events.
We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty! ―Douglas Adams

evovi
Master
Master
CMDR: Auloria

Postby evovi » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:22 pm

Shadow play sounds like where it's at! That - unexpected moment is ideally what I want rather than having to trawl through gigs of video

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly

Postby TorTorden » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:25 pm

Open broadcaster has the "replay buffer", start it up before you play and hit a hotkey to save the last x minutes.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Loriath » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:27 pm

TorTorden wrote:Open broadcaster has the "replay buffer", start it up before you play and hit a hotkey to save the last x minutes.

Has OBS less overhead than Shadowplay?
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly

Postby TorTorden » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:48 pm

Loriath wrote:
TorTorden wrote:Open broadcaster has the "replay buffer", start it up before you play and hit a hotkey to save the last x minutes.

Has OBS less overhead than Shadowplay?

Havent really checked, just started fiddling with OBS, shadowplay I think runs in driver level and nvidia certainly has better resources than an open source project, but I find shadowplay a bit too simplistic, you can basically set your folders and define hotkeys and very basic quality settings and that's it.
And not that i have had much problems, if shadowplay crashes it has a much greater chance of taking the driver and any game you are playing with it.

And its great if you have an nvidia card (I have a gt960) and I don't notice any performance problems using either and having an nvidia card both options are completely free of charge so when you have options like that it doesn't hurt to try both.

For some reason either options codec's doesn't play smoothly in vlc, but media player klassic handles them flawlessly at least when recording at 60fps.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Return to “Hardware and Technical”