Community Support for the machines running the game
Avago-Earo
Master
Master
CMDR: AVAGO EARO
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: New Nvidia 344.48 Drivers Doubled My FPS

Postby Avago-Earo » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:01 am

Hmmm.. Ah well, just completed my first build and after installing Win 7 Professional I've encountered a few obstacles that I had to google to identify. Trouble is I don't know what I'm doing at the moment so I'm learning a lot as I go along.

To be honest I just want a fast PC (which I've got now) that I can just go 'yep I want that' and click on it and it's done. At the moment it's getting tools to unpark processor cores to play Elite without stuttering, only to find by installing it I've let browser ad ons and adware slip in under the radar and spending all night rectifying it.

Just want to plug and play. I'll tinker when I know what I'm doing.
"Wibble"

ZATZAi
Novice
Novice
CMDR: ZATZAi

Postby ZATZAi » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:04 am

If you're having problems, trying using Display Driver Uninstaller to completely uninstall your old Nvidia Drivers. Using just the Nvidia uninstaller sometimes leaves traces behind.

http://www.wagnardmobile.com/DDU/

I personally only install the Graphics Driver and PhysX, not 3D Vision or Audio so I can't comment on those components working or not.

ZATZAi
Novice
Novice

Postby ZATZAi » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:07 am

Brixmis wrote:PS - just noticed the res you are running at, which could explain your previous relatively low framerates ;)

Yes I am just shy of a 4K display resolution wise, which is quite taxing. But that's expected, still it's nice to see Elite now performing where it should be. It definitely felt un-optimized as even Crysis 3 gave better FPS on higher settings.

Avago-Earo
Master
Master

Postby Avago-Earo » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:13 am

ZATZAi wrote:If you're having problems, trying using Display Driver Uninstaller to completely uninstall your old Nvidia Drivers. Using just the Nvidia uninstaller sometimes leaves traces behind.

I personally only install the Graphics Driver and PhysX, not 3D Vision or Audio so I can't comment on those components working or not.

Cheers for that ZATZAi. I have book marked it and will try it later if all else fails. You don't install PhysX. Well GeForce says I'm up to date so does this mean It's ok without the new PhysX? I'm quite new to PC gaming and not well versed in these matters you see so my question may seem simple but I seem to be discovering 100 things a week to learn at the moment.
"Wibble"

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: GlobusDiablo
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby GlobusDiablo » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:13 am

Avago-Earo wrote:Hmmm.. Ah well, just completed my first build and after installing Win 7 Professional I've encountered a few obstacles that I had to google to identify. Trouble is I don't know what I'm doing at the moment so I'm learning a lot as I go along.

To be honest I just want a fast PC (which I've got now) that I can just go 'yep I want that' and click on it and it's done. At the moment it's getting tools to unpark processor cores to play Elite without stuttering, only to find by installing it I've let browser ad ons and adware slip in under the radar and spending all night rectifying it.

Just want to plug and play. I'll tinker when I know what I'm doing.

You're on a rocky path my friend. Building a pc from bits and bobs can be extremely satisfying if you're on a budget, or if you want to know more about how a pc works. ;)

But as you say, you're bound/prone to run in to compability issues and what not. I do commend the effort though Avi! You'll be that much more the wiser by full release. :)

ZATZAi
Novice
Novice

Postby ZATZAi » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:19 am

Avago-Earo wrote:
ZATZAi wrote:If you're having problems, trying using Display Driver Uninstaller to completely uninstall your old Nvidia Drivers. Using just the Nvidia uninstaller sometimes leaves traces behind.

Cheers for that ZATZAi. I have book marked it and will try it later if all else fails. You don't install PhysX. Well GeForce says I'm up to date so does this mean It's ok without the new PhysX? I'm quite new to PC gaming and not well versed in these matters you see so my question may seem simple but I seem to be discovering 100 things a week to learn at the moment.

If you use the driver uninstaller I listed you will need to reinstall PhysX. It's part of the driver install, just choose Custom when installing and you can turn off the features you don't want.

-ZATZAi

ZATZAi
Novice
Novice

New Nvidia 344.48 Drivers Doubled My FPS

Postby ZATZAi » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:20 am

Avago-Earo wrote:Cheers for that ZATZAi. I have book marked it and will try it later if all else fails. You don't install PhysX. Well GeForce says I'm up to date so does this mean It's ok without the new PhysX? I'm quite new to PC gaming and not well versed in these matters you see so my question may seem simple but I seem to be discovering 100 things a week to learn at the moment.

I do install PhysX, just not 3D Vision or Audio as I don't use those features. If you use the driver uninstaller I listed you will need to reinstall PhysX. It's part of the driver install (So no need for a separate install) just choose Custom when installing and you can turn off the features you don't want.

-ZATZAi

Avago-Earo
Master
Master

Postby Avago-Earo » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:22 am

Thanks for the tips. All really useful.
"Wibble"

Avago-Earo
Master
Master

Postby Avago-Earo » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:33 am

Well, that's odd. After googling (been doing a lot of that lately) I found out how to check which version of PhysX I have. Under components in the Nvidia control panel it shows me I have Version 09.14.0702. That's the one that wouldn't install with Geforce.

I guess when IO Bit Driver Booster identified that PhysX was out of date it located the right one for GeForce. Don't know how this happened otherwise. Anyway, I guess I'm good to go.

Thanks for the link to the driver uninstaller anyway. I have it book marked in case I encounter problems in the future.
"Wibble"

ZATZAi
Novice
Novice

Postby ZATZAi » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:30 am

As someone who works in the tech industry, I don't really trust IO Bit as a company. Just saying, I won't bother getting into why...

Return to “Hardware and Technical”