Community Support for the machines running the game
Avago-Earo
Master
Master
CMDR: AVAGO EARO
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: New Nvidia 344.48 Drivers Doubled My FPS

Postby Avago-Earo » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:03 am

ZATZAi wrote:As someone who works in the tech industry, I don't really trust IO Bit as a company. Just saying, I won't bother getting into why...

Maybe you could recommend something else? I know very little about these things at the moment and if I've made a bad choice I'd like to know my options. Better to cut my losses now rather than later.
"Wibble"

ZATZAi
Novice
Novice
CMDR: ZATZAi

Postby ZATZAi » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:25 am

Avago-Earo wrote:
ZATZAi wrote:As someone who works in the tech industry, I don't really trust IO Bit as a company. Just saying, I won't bother getting into why...

Maybe you could recommend something else? I know very little about these things at the moment and if I've made a bad choice I'd like to know my options. Better to cut my losses now rather than later.

To keep drivers up to date, the best tool is your web browser. Go to the manufacturers site and download the latest driver and firmware. With the exception of Graphics cards most things rarely update, or they only update a couple times after first being made then they don't support it anymore. It's worth making up a Word Doc of the components in your system and the URLs to the manufacturer support page for each item, this list is usually around a dozen items or some such so it's not that much work.

If you want something more powerful than the Windows uninstaller try Revo Uninstaller.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/

If you want something to speed up your PC use CCleaner, but you should only run it as needed.

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

If you want something to get the malware off your system, toolbars and all that junk try Malwarebytes

https://www.malwarebytes.org/

If you want to keep from getting toolbars and other crapware on your system in the first place you need to read the prompts when your installing or updating software. Always choose the custom or advanced option, always uncheck the stuff you don't want, just clicking OK/NEXT over and over is how most users get into trouble. The information you need is there, you just have to read it and consider your answer before committing (In other words, read the fine print). You can always install updates from NiNite which automatically unchecks unwanted addons for you, and/or use UnChecky which will opt-out of most of those options for you automatically.

http://ninite.com
http://unchecky.com/

If you want something to completely uninstall a graphics driver use the previously mentioned DDU. But again you should only have to use this when you are having issues, normally the clean install option in the driver update (When you choose custom) is enough.

http://www.wagnardmobile.com/DDU/

There's a lot more to it all than just this of course. These are just some basics, but this is what I'm willing to put into a simple forum post. Ultimately it's up to the user to learn the basics about computer maintenance themselves. Computers are a lot like cars that way, you can take a basic car repair class, or read a bunch of books etc and learn how to change your own oil or you can pay a mechanic to do it for you. Either option is valid, but what's not good is to do nothing and just drive the car into the ground. Computers are the same, their machines that require periodic maintenance and care over time if you want them to perform at their best...

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: GlobusDiablo
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby GlobusDiablo » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:31 am

ZATZAi wrote:To keep drivers up to date, the best tool is your web browser.........

Excellent post. Thanks ZATSAi. :)

ZATZAi
Novice
Novice
CMDR: ZATZAi

Postby ZATZAi » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:14 am

Yah just to add. The reason I don't recommend those Driver Update programs... aside from the fact that drivers rarely update and there's no reason to have such programs constantly running on your machine adding to overhead. Is because sometimes they make mistakes, the companies that make these don't go through all the drivers by hand. They use some sort of web scrapping to figure out when new stuff has been posted.

And at least with drivers, if you install the wrong driver. You could have a really bad day trying to fix that.

Plus these tools generally won't know about alternative drives from 3rd parties (Something ATI users like to do for example as the official drivers are not always the best). They also may not know about beta drivers. They also won't be aware of any problems with the drivers. But if you go to the manufacturers web site you should see all these things, particularly if you read their forums and see what people who have already installed the driver are saying...

Avago-Earo
Master
Master

Postby Avago-Earo » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:04 am

Thanks again ZATZAi.

I didn't respond to your answer when you posted it as I was off line but am very appreciative of the time you took to share this useful information. I think a few of us here are overlapping shifts.

I was aware of doing a custom install and as far as I know have always done this (well for about three years since I knew about it), but sometimes something seems to get past. Got a friend to come round who's been doing this stuff since ticker tape and Winchester discs in the seventies, and he took a look around (well that's the only word I can find for it). It turned out the files I was concerned about were just part of legit software I'd installed correctly anyway. I also showed him your post and he basically agreed with you (not that I have reason to distrust your info, but whilst he was here I decided to show him stuff about Elite: Dangerous as he's not a gamer but remembers Elite back in the day and it led me here)

Thanks again.
"Wibble"

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby GlobusDiablo » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:15 am

Avago-Earo wrote:......and he took a look around (well that's the only word I can find for it)......

A blind man and his dog walks into a shop. He then grabs his dog by the tail and starts swinging it over his head. Security rush to the scene to enquire if anything can be done to help the man.

Nah, he says. Just lookin' around...

Avago-Earo
Master
Master

Postby Avago-Earo » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:36 am

GlobusDiablo wrote:
Avago-Earo wrote:......and he took a look around (well that's the only word I can find for it)......

A blind man and his dog walks into a shop. He then grabs his dog by the tail and starts swinging it over his head. Security rush to the scene to enquire if anything can be done to help the man.

Nah, he says. Just lookin' around...

I don't belieeeeeeeeeeeeve it. A joke on a forum that actually made me laugh. Not LOL M8, but an internal hop all the same. I felt the corners of my mouth actually begin to crack. Cheers Glob
"Wibble"

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby GlobusDiablo » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:24 am

Avago-Earo wrote:I don't belieeeeeeeeeeeeve it. A joke on a forum that actually made me laugh. Not LOL M8, but an internal hop all the same. I felt the corners of my mouth actually begin to crack. Cheers Glob

I made you look, I made you stare. I made you lose you underwear!!! Gotcha! :D

Flip
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Flip Martin

Postby Flip » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:58 am

ZATZAi wrote:Nvidia has released new WHQL Certified drivers, v344.48 with support for Elite Dangerous.

FWIW, that version didn't change anything to the FPS with my GTX770 (downsampling from 2880x1800 to 1920x1200).
We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty! ―Douglas Adams

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby GlobusDiablo » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:07 am

Flip wrote:
ZATZAi wrote:Nvidia has released new WHQL Certified drivers, v344.48 with support for Elite Dangerous.

FWIW, that version didn't change anything to the FPS with my GTX770 (downsampling from 2880x1800 to 1920x1200).

I imagine that you're getting a solid 60 fps with v-sync on already, right? So it's capped.

Return to “Hardware and Technical”