Community Support for the machines running the game
SJT
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Stephen Taylor
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: should i wait?

Postby SJT » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:04 pm

Neillm wrote:970...if you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up!

If anyone can guess the film from the paraphrased reference, you can have some major respect. :)

I'm well happy with mine since I took the plunge!

Neillm, you're my hero!

Combiseries

Postby Combiseries » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:25 pm

I read this post with interest as I have only ever used ATi cards. I only ever had one Nvidia card and that was an 8800 GTX which I'd won from a Gameshadow competition. I had it for a month and sold it to buy a cheap car.

Since then I've only ever used ATi. I have a Powercolor HD 6950 2GB card which has served me well and handles Elite on a 42 inch at full resolution and full graphics easily. Trouble with it is that I cannot update the drivers to the latest version (I'm stuck with ver. 12.10) because it causes my monitor to flicker. I would have liked another ATi card to run in crossfire but I'm reluctant because of this issue.

I think the next card I get would be an Nvidia but I can't use SLI with my crossfire board which is something I would like to do. Money however is tight.

What's a good Nvidia card that's the equivalent of what I have now?

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: GlobusDiablo
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby GlobusDiablo » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:08 pm

Combiseries wrote:....I think the next card I get would be an Nvidia but I can't use SLI with my crossfire board which is something I would like to do. Money however is tight.

I wouldn't bother with sli og crossfire for that matter. You pay twice, but never get twice the power. Not even close. And a year later the next gen single card is just as fast as your sli/crossfire solution. + single card solutions are more stable, generate less heat, use less power, the list goes on.

I don't know the card you have, but the GTX970 is the card to beat right now if you're talking bang for your buck. It's just as fast as my GTX780 that runs E: D at highest settings at a rock solid 60 fps with v-sync on (standard hd res).

Philip Coutts
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Coutts
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby Philip Coutts » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:18 pm

Combiseries wrote:I read this post with interest as I have only ever used ATi cards. I only ever had one Nvidia card and that was an 8800 GTX which I'd won from a Gameshadow competition. I had it for a month and sold it to buy a cheap car.

Since then I've only ever used ATi. I have a Powercolor HD 6950 2GB card which has served me well and handles Elite on a 42 inch at full resolution and full graphics easily. Trouble with it is that I cannot update the drivers to the latest version (I'm stuck with ver. 12.10) because it causes my monitor to flicker. I would have liked another ATi card to run in crossfire but I'm reluctant because of this issue.

I think the next card I get would be an Nvidia but I can't use SLI with my crossfire board which is something I would like to do. Money however is tight.

It really depends on your budget. Have a look at Tom's hardware for a comparison of cards at this link:

http://www.hwcompare.com/12547/geforce- ... -6950-2gb/

I've put in a GTX670 which is slightly better than your current card by the looks of it. Have a play about with that link and change the cards to suit your budget, it's very useful. Hope that helps :)

Edit:

You could also have a look at: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gam ... 107-7.html which gives a list of the best value cards for every month so it's showing October at the moment!

Combiseries

Postby Combiseries » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:10 pm

Thanks for the links!!

Return to “Hardware and Technical”