Community Support for the machines running the game
GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: GlobusDiablo
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

PC Build Help & Advice

Postby GlobusDiablo » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:19 am

Avago-Earo wrote:.....I've just received a delivery for my PC case and psu, so I'm going to start my build today. This will be my first ever build. The only thing I'd done before is install a graphics card. Oh, and set up multi track recording and MIDI but that's external and doesn't really count.

Hope it goes all right. I've got a book and a mag on PC building so I should be ok. I've also watched loads of you tube video's like Linus Tech Tips, OC3D and Tech Syndicate to name a few. I'll just take my time.

Sounds good Avi. Keep us posted on how you fare. :)

Avago-Earo
Master
Master
CMDR: AVAGO EARO
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: PvE group growing daily

Postby Avago-Earo » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:44 am

I will. So far, on a tight budget so this has taken me a fair while to accumulate:

Case: Gigabyte Luxo X10 with 650W PSU.
Motherboard: ASUS Z87-K
CPU: Intel i5 4th Gen 4660
Memory: 16GB DDR3 (need a lot for music recording, it really is that memory heavy if you want low latency multiple simultaneous instrument and MIDIinputs)
Storage: 2 Western Digital 240GB 7200 rpm HDD's (will upgrade to an SSD for the OS when I can afford it)
GPU: EVGA 740 SC from my current PC(I know this is below par but my current rig is so behind CPU wise I have to start somewhere). Will probably get a GTX 970 when funds allow.

I'm hoping this should be able to support Oculus Rift, but I may be wrong but that's some time away so if I have to build again.... AAAAGH! more money...
"Wibble"

Neillm
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Zachus

Postby Neillm » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:10 am

Avago-Earo wrote:I will. So far, on a tight budget so this has taken me a fair while to accumulate:

Memory: 16GB DDR3 (need a lot for music recording, it really is that memory heavy if you want low latency multiple simultaneous instrument and MIDIinputs)
Storage: 2 Western Digital 240GB 7200 rpm HDD's (will upgrade to an SSD for the OS when I can afford it)
GPU: EVGA 740 SC from my current PC(I know this is below par but my current rig is so behind CPU wise I have to start somewhere). Will probably get a GTX 970 when funds allow.

I'm hoping this should be able to support Oculus Rift, but I may be wrong but that's some time away so if I have to build again.... AAAAGH! more money...

Looks good. All I could suggest is a larger second drive. 240Gb is very small nowadays, especially if you're throwing large files around. There's no point swapping both, if you're thinking of upgrading the OS disk to an SSD but something like this gives a bit of elbow room for the second drive.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/1tb-wd-black-wd1003fzex-35-hdd-sata-iii-6gb-s-7200rpm-64mb-cache

The motherboard is Sata III so you should get good speed from the drive. What Sata spec are the two you have?

Or there is the slightly more future proof option of 2Tb, like:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/2tb-wd-wd2003fzex-black-35-hdd-sata-iii-6gb-s-7200rpm-64mb-cache

Anyway, just my thoughts...it'll be a nice rig, when you've got it up and running. Oh, and I couldn't recommend the 970 highly enough...loving mine! :-)

BiggBno
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Bigg Badger

Postby BiggBno » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:36 pm

Avago-Earo wrote:I will. So far, on a tight budget so this has taken me a fair while to accumulate:

This is more or less how I thought when upgrading my rig. Started with the MB,CPU and RAM. Saved and bought an upgrade kit from komplett, and used my old GPU until I could afford a new one. The intension was to wait until nearer the finished product, but after the Geforce 500 series bug, I just had to.
Didnt have the patience to wait until they fixed the bug

Avago-Earo
Master
Master

Postby Avago-Earo » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:18 pm

Cheers for the advice. I've got a few 1TB external drives for data files and other programs will go on the second HDD for the time being.

Problem I've got now is the PSU that came with the case has Molex connectors on it and on the case fans and nothing to connect to the headers on the Mobo. I guess it's safe to daisy chain them to the supply (?) but won't that mean they'll be running 100% all the time? I know very little about PC building and am presently staring at my half built rig and getting nowhere on Toms Hardware or You Tube on the subject after googling it so I'm just scratching my head. Hmmph.
"Wibble"

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: GlobusDiablo
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby GlobusDiablo » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:41 pm

Avago-Earo wrote:.....Problem I've got now is the PSU that came with the case has Molex connectors on it and on the case fans and nothing to connect to the headers on the Mobo. I guess it's safe to daisy chain them to the supply (?) but won't that mean they'll be running 100% all the time? I know very little about PC building and am presently staring at my half built rig and getting nowhere on Toms Hardware or You Tube on the subject after googling it so I'm just scratching my head. Hmmph.

I'm drawing a blank there friend.

New PSU?..... Oh all right. Where's my coat... :)

Neillm
Expert
Expert

Postby Neillm » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:53 pm

Avago-Earo wrote:Cheers for the advice. I've got a few 1TB external drives for data files and other programs will go on the second HDD for the time being.

Problem I've got now is the PSU that came with the case has Molex connectors on it and on the case fans and nothing to connect to the headers on the Mobo. I guess it's safe to daisy chain them to the supply (?) but won't that mean they'll be running 100% all the time? I know very little about PC building and am presently staring at my half built rig and getting nowhere on Toms Hardware or You Tube on the subject after googling it so I'm just scratching my head. Hmmph.

The case fans should have their own leads to connect to the headers on the motherboard. At least, that's been the case with mine. It could be that there aren't enough headers for all the case fans, depending on how many you have. I think you're correct in assuming that if you connect the fans directly to the PSU, they'll be running all the time without the motherboard to moderate their operation. Can you take a picture of the leads from the fans and the power supply?

EDIT: This link on the motherboard page has a Fan Expert video showing case fans being controlled by the motherboard.

http://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/Z87K/

Avago-Earo
Master
Master

Postby Avago-Earo » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:01 pm

No camera at the mo. They're all molex except for the front and rear ones that are connected together and share a 3 pin female socket.
"Wibble"

Neillm
Expert
Expert

Postby Neillm » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:06 pm

There are a number of adapters available to convert molex to fan connectors but most seem to be to 3-pin motherboard heads. Your motherboard manual shows they are 4-pin...which gives more control over the fan speed.

Can you find a picture online of the leads/connectors coming out of your fans? There seem to be so many, it's difficult to tell what would be needed?

Avago-Earo
Master
Master

Re: PC Build Help & Advice

Postby Avago-Earo » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:39 am

I can see where this is probably going (correct me if I'm wrong), I bought a case and psu & fan bundle. I'm probably going to have to replace the fans and psu leaving me with a case that I bought for those features and now quids down. Looks like the build's going to be on the shelf again. Oh well, I tried to save on money but lesson learned.
"Wibble"

Return to “Hardware and Technical”