Community Support for the machines running the game
GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: GlobusDiablo
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: PC Build Help & Advice

Postby GlobusDiablo » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:50 am

Avago-Earo wrote:I can see where this is probably going (correct me if I'm wrong), I bought a case and psu & fan bundle. I'm probably going to have to replace the fans and psu leaving me with a case that I bought for those features and now quids down. Looks like the build's going to be on the shelf again. Oh well, I tried to save on money but lesson learned.

Sorry to agree, but I think this is the gist of it. :(

But then again, I could be wrong. It's been known to happen. ;)

Avago-Earo
Master
Master
CMDR: AVAGO EARO
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby Avago-Earo » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:33 am

GlobusDiablo wrote:
Avago-Earo wrote:I can see where this is probably going (correct me if I'm wrong), I bought a case and psu & fan bundle. I'm probably going to have to replace the fans and psu leaving me with a case that I bought for those features and now quids down. Looks like the build's going to be on the shelf again. Oh well, I tried to save on money but lesson learned.

But then again, I could be wrong. It's been known to happen. ;)[/quote

I've got a mate coming round sometime who knows more about it. When I switched it on the case light illuminated and the fans spun. This lasted a second and then nothing apart from the green power light on the Mobo staying lit.

There's another thing that may cause this (though from here-on-in it's all guesswork), I have plugged the long EATX PWR cable in but there is another one, an 8 contact socket marked EATX 12V. I haven't plugged anything into that. I have got two leads on the PSU with four and a six pin/holes on each. I thought these would be for the graphics card. Confused...

Cheers for putting this thread in the right place.
"Wibble"

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby GlobusDiablo » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:38 am

Good luck my friend. I hope you get it working. :)

Neillm
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Zachus

Postby Neillm » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:13 pm

Avago-Earo wrote:
GlobusDiablo wrote:

But then again, I could be wrong. It's been known to happen. ;)[/quote

I've got a mate coming round sometime who knows more about it. When I switched it on the case light illuminated and the fans spun. This lasted a second and then nothing apart from the green power light on the Mobo staying lit.

There's another thing that may cause this (though from here-on-in it's all guesswork), I have plugged the long EATX PWR cable in but there is another one, an 8 contact socket marked EATX 12V. I haven't plugged anything into that. I have got two leads on the PSU with four and a six pin/holes on each. I thought these would be for the graphics card. Confused...

Cheers for putting this thread in the right place.

The motherboard needs both the 24 pin and 8 pin power connectors attached to it. My graphics card has additional 8 pin and 6 pin power connectors, but more usually, it's two 6-pin connectors. Sorry to keep throwing links at you, but if you look at, for example, this power supply:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/750w-corsair-cxm-builder-series-hybrid-modular-80-plus-bronze-1x120mm-atx-psu

You can see it has the following connectors (modular, so you can just plug in the ones you need):

One ATX (24-pin) - Main motherboard power
One EPS/ATX12V (8-pin) - Additional motherboard power
Four PCI-E (6-pin / 8-pin) - Graphics cards
Eight SATA - drives, etc
Six peripheral cables (4-pin)
Two floppy adapters (4-pin)

There is a picture of the cables it provides, so you can compare with what your PSU offers. I'm wondering if your PSU is lacking a few of the necessary connections for a modern motherboard?

Avago-Earo
Master
Master

Postby Avago-Earo » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:07 pm

Neillm, I appreciate all advice thank you.

Well, here's an update. I plugged a 4 pin connector into the aforementioned EATX socket. I looked up stuff about it (which end PIN 1 was on). Plugged the rig in...

Lights...Fans... ... ... Screen!

Installing windows tomorrow. Then probably days of up dates etc. but heh! A decent night sleep.
"Wibble"

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby GlobusDiablo » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:06 pm

Avago-Earo wrote:Neillm, I appreciate all advice thank you.

Well, here's an update. I plugged a 4 pin connector into the aforementioned EATX socket. I looked up stuff about it (which end PIN 1 was on). Plugged the rig in...

Installing windows tomorrow. Then probably days of up dates etc. but heh! A decent night sleep.

Awesome! Fingers and toes crossed. :)

Flip
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Flip Martin

Postby Flip » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:33 pm

GlobusDiablo wrote:Fingers and toes crossed. :)

Yeah, considering it's Windows, that's not too much. Mine are crossed too, for good mesure. :)
We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty! ―Douglas Adams

Neillm
Expert
Expert

Postby Neillm » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:17 pm

Avago-Earo wrote:Neillm, I appreciate all advice thank you.

Excellent...good luck!

Avago-Earo
Master
Master

Postby Avago-Earo » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:14 pm

Well I'm writing this from my newly built PC. Trouble is I took the Graphics card (working perfectly) out of my old PC and put it in this one with cable connected but when I try and download GeForce Experience it says I need a Nvidia card. But it is and I've been using it on my PC.

Anyone?
"Wibble"

Neillm
Expert
Expert

Postby Neillm » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:47 am

Could you give us the exact wording of the error? And it's when you are trying to download NE, right?

What is the card showing as in Device Manager?

Return to “Hardware and Technical”