Community Support for the machines running the game
christoff
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Christoff
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Ordered my new rig

Postby christoff » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:46 am

Although the family PC in the livingroom can handle ED no problem, im not getting enough undisturbed time on the game. Im also growing tired of the "not that silly space game" comments :x
So Ive taken the plunge and ordered a specced up Cyperpower PC, new monitor and sound system, which im going to setup in my office/study :)

Im not too techie when it comes to PC's, but it has the i7 intel chip and two gtx 980 grapics cards, as i want the ultra definition grafics and fast frame rate. It ports with Windows 8.1, which ive pondered most about getting, as it gets so many mixed reviews. However, ive been watching countless utube videos on it, and reckon i will get used to it ok. In fact ive actually like what ive seen so far.
As usual with any major changes, there is bound to be tears and tantrums (had a new PC for work installed recently, and that was a fricking nightmare :twisted: )

So hopefully will be joining you all in space again soon, and you will still wave at me in my little Sidey from your lovely Asps!! ;)
[url="http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=38362"]Image[/url]

Shelleen
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Re: Ordered my new rig

Postby Shelleen » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:59 am

christoff wrote:Although the family PC in the livingroom can handle ED no problem, im not getting enough undisturbed time on the game. Im also growing tired of the "not that silly space game" comments :x
So Ive taken the plunge and ordered a specced up Cyperpower PC, new monitor and sound system, which im going to setup in my office/study :)

Im not too techie when it comes to PC's, but it has the i7 intel chip and two gtx 980 grapics cards, as i want the ultra definition grafics and fast frame rate. It ports with Windows 8.1, which ive pondered most about getting, as it gets so many mixed reviews. However, ive been watching countless utube videos on it, and reckon i will get used to it ok. In fact ive actually like what ive seen so far.
As usual with any major changes, there is bound to be tears and tantrums (had a new PC for work installed recently, and that was a fricking nightmare :twisted: )

So hopefully will be joining you all in space again soon, and you will still wave at me in my little Sidey from your lovely Asps!! ;)

Fair play to you Cmdr!

That sounds like a helluva rig for Elite, I hope you have many happy hours with it.

Now what's with this 'silly space game' malarky? It's better than 'real life' tell them :D

Avago-Earo
Master
Master
CMDR: AVAGO EARO

Postby Avago-Earo » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:04 am

See you out there. Your rig sounds good. I'm just getting the last few bits before I can start my first ever build as my current PC has difficulty playing Elite. Got a Haynes build your own pc book and a load of magazines and you tube stuff from linus tech tips and tech syndicate and read up a lot of stuff in other places on the web. Cost has forced my hand but this is my build:

Motherboard: Asus Z87-K
CPU Intel i5 4660
GPU (from my current pc) EVGA GT740 SC (probably upgrade to GTX970)

Good luck Commander.
"Wibble"

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: GlobusDiablo
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby GlobusDiablo » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:11 am

christoff wrote:...Im not too techie when it comes to PC's, but it has the i7 intel chip and two gtx 980 grapics cards, as i want the ultra definition grafics and fast frame rate....

Is it your birthday and christmas come early?...

GTX980 SLI is a Monster! You've been picking from the top shelf friend. Excellent! :)

As you said, expect a bit of run in trouble, but stay calm, and you should be sorted soon and for many years to come. :)

Wolf
Master
Master
CMDR: Dexter Wolf

Postby Wolf » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:30 am

2x 980 SLI? Envy! :mrgreen:

DevNull
Novice
Novice
CMDR: DeVice Null

Postby DevNull » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:51 am

Nice choice.
Consider that my old rig can handle ED with sufficient FPS and graphics (1920x1080, full detail):

Intel Core DUO 3Ghz
8 Gb RAM
Nvidia GTX 550Ti

All water cooled.

must get a new PC ? Yes.
Have the money to buy it ? Absolutely no :P

Neillm
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Zachus

Postby Neillm » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:01 am

Two 980's? Respect!

That should keep you future proofed for a while! :D

Flip
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Flip Martin

Postby Flip » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:54 pm

Congrats, christoff! Sounds great. :)
We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty! ―Douglas Adams

christoff
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Christoff

Postby christoff » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:25 pm

Yes, more than I intended to spend thats for sure, so a late birthday and early Christmas pressie to myself sounds like a good idea ;)
We have recently had the addition of a PS4 into the house, and although Im a big fan of the PS, I also wanted a PC to put it firmly in its place! ;)
[url="http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=38362"]Image[/url]

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: GlobusDiablo

Postby GlobusDiablo » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:46 pm

christoff wrote:Yes, more than I intended to spend thats for sure, so a late birthday and early Christmas pressie to myself sounds like a good idea ;)
We have recently had the addition of a PS4 into the house, and although Im a big fan of the PS, I also wanted a PC to put it firmly in its place! ;)

Agree. PS4 is a nice little piece of kit, but it has nowhere near the power of your incoming rig. :)

Return to “Hardware and Technical”