Beta 2.04 causing fps drop?

Community Support for the machines running the game
Shelleen
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Beta 2.04 causing fps drop?

Postby Shelleen » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:31 pm

I've been playing (testing dammit, testing) ED since PB and have had a consistent 40/45 fps in stations and 58/60 everywhere else with every graphic setting on high.

With 2.04 I was down to 13/15 fps in stations and 40/50 fps elsewhere. I upgraded to the latest Cat drivers and am now getting 18/25 in stations but this appears to drop even further dependent on the time I'm in the station, down as low as 11 fps a couple of times which makes undocking kind of interesting. As soon as I leave the station it goes back to 50/60 fps. I've turned the in-game settings down to try to help it out but with no discernible gain.

Anyone know what's going on with this? Is anyone else seeing the same or is it just me?

I'm also experiencing a huge heat draw through the CPU water cooling with the fan going crazy all the time trying to cool it down.

Rig is not the best but has been fine until 2.04: Amd Piledriver 6300 o/c to 3.8ghz. Radeon 7850 1gb. 16 gb 1333mhz ram. 128gb SSD. 24" 1920x1080 HD IPS screen.

I know I'm short on Vram on the card but everything's been good until now. I have now o/c the card which has helped a bit but at the expense of more heat/noise from the system.

I suppose I'm hoping for a, "just do this" reply rather than the dreaded, "buy another graphics card" one :D

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: GlobusDiablo
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Beta 2.04 causing fps drop?

Postby GlobusDiablo » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:44 pm

Shelleen wrote:....I suppose I'm hoping for a, "just do this" reply rather than the dreaded, "buy another graphics card" one :D

Sorry to disappoint...

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-HD-7850- ... ce-GTX-970

Note the passmark score.

But maybe someone else has other suggestions.

It is a bit odd however, that you're getting worse FPS. I thought we were supposed to be getting better ones. And the fact that your cpu is heating up is also a bit odd I think.

I know the cpu is water cooled, but you're still cleaning the case air filters right?...

Avago-Earo
Master
Master
CMDR: AVAGO EARO

Postby Avago-Earo » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:18 pm

I'm getting slightly better fps since 2.04. Now up to 19 or if I'm lucky 24 in stations on lowest, off where possible settings. Getting lots of freezes that didn't happen up to and including 1.06

System specs: Not worth mentioning, just about enough according to Frontiers recommendations (building my first rig now)
"Wibble"

Shelleen
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Postby Shelleen » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:52 am

GlobusDiablo: I'm pretty OC about keeping the pc clean, the house not so much :D

Tonight I had a BSoD just after entering the game and when I'd got back into it the game launched in a window. I changed it back to full screen in the graphic options and had no problems with it running tonight.

I'm not completely au fait with how the number of users affects things but I had more problems over the week end than tonight. Could the number of people online affect the lag in stations? I'm betting that more players were online on sat/sun than today but I'm probably barking up the wrong tree with this. Seems suspicious though.

I also noticed a thread on the official forums where ED's cpu usage seems to be causing problems for a few people. I'll keep an eye on that.

I'd really rather not buy a graphics card this year as I'm waiting for Skylake before upgrading the entire rig. Need to hold on for another year if possible.

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby GlobusDiablo » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:04 am

Shelleen wrote:GlobusDiablo: I'm pretty OC about keeping the pc clean, the house not so much :D

......I'm not completely au fait with how the number of users affects things but I had more problems over the week end than tonight. Could the number of people online affect the lag in stations? I'm betting that more players were online on sat/sun than today but I'm probably barking up the wrong tree with this. Seems suspicious though.......

:)

It is an issue I think. Solo is more stable than groups, groups is more stable than open.

AndyB
Master
Master
CMDR: Andy Bulman

Postby AndyB » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:16 pm

i'd say its the game more than the card, i have a 3gb 7950 and get similar issues.
Combat: Elite Trade: Elite Exploration: Elite

Mobius PvE Group Facebook Admin,
Mobius PvE Group Forum Moderator,
Mobius PvE Lead Admin,
Mobius PvE America Lead Admin,
Mobius Factions Assistant Admin,
Mobius PvE Eurasia Assistant Admin,

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby GlobusDiablo » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:21 pm

AndyB wrote:i'd say its the game more than the card, i have a 3gb 7950 and get similar issues.

Maybe, but I've got a gtx780 and haven't seen any of these issues. Nor cpu overheating (i5 4670 with noctua cooler).

Vikinger
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Vulcor

Postby Vikinger » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:27 pm

Only problem I have is when I get close to gas giants and asteroid rings. Then my fps start to tumble up and down and I experience bad lag. But it have been like this since Alpha and its a known bug they have not been able to iron out yet.
But normally iam travel around the space with FPS of 115-120.
And I have an GTX680 card, running the game in full settings.

Rune
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Rune Sunfire

Postby Rune » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:28 pm

I've got a GTX670 MSI Power Edition and have been having FPS drops in 2.04 that I didn't have before. Saw a thread about it on the main forums and someone suggested when leaving a station it could be down to locking on to a different target.

I've tried leaving locking on till after I've left a station and that has improved things a bit.

Return to “Hardware and Technical”