Neillm
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Zachus
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: And the costs keep on rising...

Postby Neillm » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:26 pm

GlobusDiablo wrote:
Cmdr Kharma wrote:<solemn face>........ Is natural for federation puppets............

Here in the land of the free...We are getting pissed on our beer......

So Ner...Ner...Nan...Ner.....Ner........

Damn....

Zing!

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: GlobusDiablo
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby GlobusDiablo » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:33 pm

Neillm wrote:
GlobusDiablo wrote:
Cmdr Kharma wrote:<solemn face>........ Is natural for federation puppets............

Here in the land of the free...We are getting pissed on our beer......

So Ner...Ner...Nan...Ner.....Ner........

Damn....

Zing!

:D

Mobius
Master
Master
CMDR: Mobius

Postby Mobius » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:49 am

that GTX970 appears to be a good price, I may have to indulge in one myself.

Neillm
Expert
Expert

Postby Neillm » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:12 pm

The card arrived today! Sunday of all days...a neat trick when you consider it was out of stock until tomorrow when I ordered it.

It runs ED like a bleedin' charm! With the 570, I was getting just under 30fps in a staition (old corollas) and occasionally up to 60 in empty open space. Now, it's locked solidly at 60fps...held there by my refresh rate, I'm assuming? The only time I saw it drop was in supercruise when it briefly went down to 40 approaching Asseslus. There was some serious lag going on which I believe was network rather than graphics related but each time it did, the fps dropped for a short time.

I'd say it was about the same volume as my old 570 which was itself quite quiet, so I'm very happy with that. This one should also be using less power.

Oh, and GW2 plays sweeeeeet with everything on max settings. :)

In summary...one happy bunny so far. I'll keep this thread updated if anything changes. 8-)

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby GlobusDiablo » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:58 pm

Neillm wrote:The card arrived today! Sunday of all days...a neat trick when you consider it was out of stock until tomorrow when I ordered it.

It runs ED like a bleedin' charm! With the 570, I was getting just under 30fps in a staition (old corollas) and occasionally up to 60 in empty open space. Now, it's locked solidly at 60fps...held there by my refresh rate, I'm assuming? The only time I saw it drop was in supercruise when it briefly went down to 40 approaching Asseslus. There was some serious lag going on which I believe was network rather than graphics related but each time it did, the fps dropped for a short time.

I'd say it was about the same volume as my old 570 which was itself quite quiet, so I'm very happy with that. This one should also be using less power.

Oh, and GW2 plays sweeeeeet with everything on max settings. :)

In summary...one happy bunny so far. I'll keep this thread updated if anything changes. 8-)

Congrats my friend. Yes, that's your v-sync keeping the framerate steady. I would recommend keeping it on.

I've read alot of threads about it, and sure, if you have a screen with 120 hz refresh rate, you could disable v-sync, and get higher framerates "sometimes", but you would also get bigger lows, thus making the general experience more unstable. 60 fps is more than enough if you ask me.

Plus, if you disable v-sync your card will of course be working harder, thus generating more heat/noise.

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby GlobusDiablo » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:49 pm

By the way, if you're interested in noise issues, you might also consider checking your cpu fan.

I had a standard cpu fan on my Intel processor, and it was making more noise than my case fans and graphics card fans. I bought a Noctua cpu fan. Now it runs cooler and quieter. Bliss. :)

Neillm
Expert
Expert

Postby Neillm » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:14 pm

GlobusDiablo wrote:By the way, if you're interested in noise issues, you might also consider checking your cpu fan.

I had a standard cpu fan on my Intel processor, and it was making more noise than my case fans and graphics card fans. I bought a Noctua cpu fan. Now it runs cooler and quieter. Bliss. :)

I have a Corsair water cooler in my machine which, as you can imagine, is very quiet. It's only really the GPU fans (and maybe the PSU) that is making any noise. My main drive is an SSD and I wish I could afford to stick more of those in there...and that they were bigger.

When you first switch on the machine, it Rams the GPU fans up to full for a few seconds and when I first built the machine, I thought, "Damn, watercooling isn't all it's cracked up to be!" Then it dropped them down to operating levels and you can barely tell it's on. Unless you are in a game, which is to be expected. Much better than the turbines that used to cool my old cpu. :)

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby GlobusDiablo » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:31 pm

Neillm wrote:
GlobusDiablo wrote:By the way, if you're interested in noise issues, you might also consider checking your cpu fan.

I have a Corsair water cooler in my machine which, as you can imagine, is very quiet. It's only really the GPU fans (and maybe the PSU) that is making any noise. My main drive is an SSD and I wish I could afford to stick more of those in there...and that they were bigger.

When you first switch on the machine, it Rams the GPU fans up to full for a few seconds and when I first built the machine, I thought, "Damn, watercooling isn't all it's cracked up to be!" Then it dropped them down to operating levels and you can barely tell it's on. Unless you are in a game, which is to be expected. Much better than the turbines that used to cool my old cpu. :)

Very nice. You've got a serious rig there. Now with a seriously updated graphics card. :)
Yeah, SSD is still expensive, but still worth every penny in my mind.

So, I imagine that you dabble in overclocking, as you're using watercooling?

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:42 pm

Thanks for reporting back...............

That's made my mind up..........

I'll be getting one when funds allow.......

Probably be an Xmas prezzie to myself..............

Cheers Geez............

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby GlobusDiablo » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:01 pm

Cmdr Kharma wrote:Thanks for reporting back...............

That's made my mind up..........

I'll be getting one when funds allow.......

Probably be an Xmas prezzie to myself..............

Cheers Geez............

Here you go buddy. You deserve it....:
http://youtube.com/v/h4-lKMGII_k

Return to “Hardware and Technical”