Community Support for the machines running the game
Silverwolf
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Silverwolf
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: And the costs keep on rising...

Postby Silverwolf » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:40 pm

Neillm wrote:I say costs when I should probably say 'indulgences'. :)

I may have accidentally ordered a GTX 970 yesterday. I was umming and ahhing until my better half suggested an early Christmas present...ordered 5 minutes later, before the winds changed. :D I may have also accidentally ordered another 8Gb of RAM at the same time but hush hush, eh?

I went for this one based on the reviews I've read:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/4gb-msi-gtx-970-gaming-twin-frozr-5-pcie-30-(x16)-7010-mhz-gddr5-gpu-1140-mhz-cores-1664-dp-dvi-hdmi

It's supposed to be nice and quiet and efficient and hopefully not cook the room like my old 570 does.

Anyway, it should be dispatched on Monday for delivery on Tuesday...just in time for a certain event to happen. Woo hoo!

It's too late now, but does anyone have any experience with this card, even with it being very new?

Ahhhhhh new, two fans and heat pipes, it must be seriously powerful.

Neillm
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Zachus

Postby Neillm » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:08 pm

Silverwolf wrote:Ahhhhhh new, two fans and heat pipes, it must be seriously powerful.

Indeed it is...and yet, surprisingly quiet. Well, it would be if my study didn't keep over heating. Hmm, maybe it's related. Lol

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: GlobusDiablo
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby GlobusDiablo » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:13 pm

Neillm wrote:
Silverwolf wrote:Ahhhhhh new, two fans and heat pipes, it must be seriously powerful.

Indeed it is...and yet, surprisingly quiet. Well, it would be if my study didn't keep over heating. Hmm, maybe it's related. Lol

Remember to vacuum the dust filters Neill! :)

christoff
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Christoff

Postby christoff » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:46 am

Will the 970 run a triple screen setup, and i imagine that i would need a beefier power supply?

I'm in process of putting together a spec for a new gaming PC, so would be grateful of any advice/recommendations, on hardware, etc. Cheers :)
[url="http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=38362"]Image[/url]

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby GlobusDiablo » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:52 am

christoff wrote:Will the 970 run a triple screen setup, and i imagine that i would need a beefier power supply?

I'm in process of putting together a spec for a new gaming PC, so would be grateful of any advice/recommendations, on hardware, etc. Cheers :)

I have no personal experience with triple screens, but I can't see why not. Depending on your settings, this is the best value for money card around.

Hopefully someone with a bit more tech knowhow will be here shortly. :)

But you are right to consider your power supplies watt and amp, to run your entire rig with a bit of headroom.

Neillm
Expert
Expert

Postby Neillm » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:04 pm

I only run the game on a single HD monitor, so I'm afraid I can't help you with that information. The card does have DVI-D, DVD-I, HDMI and DisplayPort outputs on it connectivity wise. As for if it has the required power, I don't know.

The card itself requires an f-ton less power than my old 570 (145 watts vs 219 watts) which is a pretty hefty drop so everything runs fine on my 750w power supply.

As for the rest, I bought a pre-assembled and tested MB (Asus Maximus Hero), CPU (i7 4770K), Cooler (Corsair i90 Watercooler) and RAM (8Gb now upgraded to 16Gb) bundle to save myself some building headaches. I'm more than happy with the speed of everything, especially with the new card.

Neillm
Expert
Expert

Postby Neillm » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:44 am

For further information on the 970, I tried it with v-sync off last night. I was getting, quite frankly, ridiculous framerates...170+ in open space and 140+ in and around stations. There was quite a lot of tearing going on but as an indication of the grunt of the card...wow! V-sync back on now because I found the tearing too distracting.

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby GlobusDiablo » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:19 pm

Neillm wrote:For further information on the 970, I tried it with v-sync off last night. I was getting, quite frankly, ridiculous framerates...170+ in open space and 140+ in and around stations. There was quite a lot of tearing going on but as an indication of the grunt of the card...wow! V-sync back on now because I found the tearing too distracting.

Exactly. Speed isn't everything. Stability is. :) And I find 60 fps more than enough. :)

Brixmis
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Brixmis

Postby Brixmis » Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:54 pm

I'm running a GTX760 OC 2GB and I noticed an almost doubling of framerates between v1.x and v2 :shock:

I wish I could afford a 970 :? I made my rig update early this year, so another one not due for 2 years.

I'm suitably envious! :oops:

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby GlobusDiablo » Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:24 pm

Brixmis wrote:I'm running a GTX760 OC 2GB and I noticed an almost doubling of framerates between v1.x and v2 :shock:

I wish I could afford a 970 :? I made my rig update early this year, so another one not due for 2 years.

I'm suitably envious! :oops:

That's no shabby card you've got there Brixmis. Aren't you running close to the 60 fps cap of the v-sync?

Return to “Hardware and Technical”