Community Support for the machines running the game
TinyTove
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: TinyTove
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

HotasX

Postby TinyTove » Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:34 am

I've got the HotasX. The one that "pulls to the left in elite dangerous".

Now, I've done some investigation and disassembly and that thing all the videos say "clean the potentiometer" I've tried that. The results have been... not great.

But I found some symptoms the videos don't mention.
Mine only pulls to the left (Rotation-Z) when my Thrust lever axis is fully forward AND my Rotation-Z is not being touched at all.
If I reverse the thrust without touching the Rotation, the pull to the left becomse a Pull to the right.
If I put the thrust in the middle (zero) the rotation error vanishes completely.

All of this can be seen in the windows driver/calibration of the device, not just in Elite. So it's not Elite doing it and "deadzone" isn't really the answer.

My limited knowledge of electronicals tells me there is some internal crosstalk on the two signals, so slight it is only visible when one of the channels is at maximum signal and the other is at minimum signal.
Oddly(?) it does not happen in the other direction. Rotation cannot induce thrust if thrust is set to zero.

Living with it is "fine". If I haven't been disillusioned with Elite:Grinderous by christmas, I'll have Santa send me a warthog and maybe some foot-pedals.
Until them I would like to try and fix the HotasX, if anybody has some solid intel on
a) My exact symptoms!
ok, no?
How about
b) Sites that deal with dodgy joysticks and common repair techniques!
no?
Maybe
c) Dodgy anecdotes about things they've heard other people say they know somebody that tried!

Failing that..
d) Bad advice that will definitely brick my joystick

I'd love to hear it!

tinnitus
Master
Master
CMDR: Nar Nar Goon

Re: HotasX

Postby tinnitus » Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:16 pm

I have the Trustmaster HOTAS Warthog my issue was loose stick connector.

I have this link in my bookmark toolkit. May as well drop it here.
Image]

“In real life you never get to say "OMG I died, balls to wall and fly her apart.”

TinyTove
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: TinyTove

Re: HotasX

Postby TinyTove » Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:13 am

That's a great thread thank you. It's a shame there is one guy on there who built his own contact-free sensor but his build-thread has vanished (though I suspect it was in Russian but still, pictures would have explained it mostly and google translate would have caught enough of the rest)

When the joystick has deteriorated to uselessness I will be making at attempt at some of that stuff..

For now, worst case is just to lose the yaw control entirely... I would miss it but it's far from absolutely essential.

Return to “Hardware and Technical”