Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Video capture

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:33 pm

Falcon_D wrote:Hello,
This is just the thread I've been looking for. I'm trying to do some After Action Review stuff so that I can learn from my mistakes and take note of my successes. Will try out Shadowplay since I have a GTX960. But my CPU is an old i7-950, so I hope it does not hit my FPS too much.

Thanks and regards.

I'd bet that recording at 1280x720 at 30FPS would be less of a performance hit that max quality, plus you can upload them directly to youtube w/o having to transcode them first - maybe just edit for time. I don't notice a performance hit either way, or whether it's running or not, but I have an i7-4790k from 1 year ago (and dual GTX-970's).
It's time to give this another go.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:17 pm

With my rig (I5 something) and single gtx960 I don't really notice during gameplay when recording in 1080p@60 using either obs or shadowplay.

But the recorded video may have more stutter than my gameplay, I notice the same when streaming to twitch as a test that inside stations etc the stream would stutter/lag severely but game played as normal.

Only one way to know for sure how much it impacts and that's by testing and tweaking settings as needed.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby JohnLuke » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:11 pm

For my occasional video recording in-game, I had been using Fraps for quite a while (the... um... paid version <cough>) so that you have the buffer.

I thought I'd try the other options mentioned in this thread. For what it's worth, here are my 2 cents worth.

TorTorden wrote:And not that i have had much problems, if shadowplay crashes it has a much greater chance of taking the driver and any game you are playing with it.

I have a GeForce GTX 970 in my i7 4770 Win 10 64 bit system, so I tried Shadowplay. The first session generated exactly what TorTorden mentioned. I got an error while in a crime sweep with another commander. Shadowplay and GE Experience crashed and took E-D with them. Not cool.... not cool at all. I've never had that issue with Fraps.

Turned off shadowplay and setup OpenBroadcast. I setup the most simple hotkeys that I could think of, but it still took a few button presses to get the buffer going, then a button to record from buffer, then another one to stop recording, and one to stop the buffer. Sheesh... that's a lot for an old guy to remember! It ran fine, but no noticeable benefit over Fraps and I didn't see a way to stay in-game and be sure that OBS was doing what I wanted it to be doing.

So.... yup... I'm back to using Fraps. It works well for what I need, which is just to record a buffer and continue recording in-game when something cool (or something very not-cool) happens.

Oh... and I control it with just one hotkey. If it's in standby, hitting F9 will start recording. Hit it again to stop. Want a buffer to start running? Just hold down F9 for a couple of seconds, and the buffer starts (visual verification in game by a color change of the FPS counter). Want to record the buffer and keep recording for a bit? Yup... you guessed it...tap the F9 key (another color change verification via the counter). Want to end the recording now? F9. Simple as hell.... just the way I like it. ;)
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

Digga
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Digga

Re: RE: Re: Video capture

Postby Digga » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:51 pm

JohnLuke wrote:For my occasional video recording in-game, I had been using Fraps for quite a while (the... um... paid version <cough>) so that you have the buffer.

I thought I'd try the other options mentioned in this thread. For what it's worth, here are my 2 cents worth.

TorTorden wrote:And not that i have had much problems, if shadowplay crashes it has a much greater chance of taking the driver and any game you are playing with it.

I have a GeForce GTX 970 in my i7 4770 Win 10 64 bit system, so I tried Shadowplay. The first session generated exactly what TorTorden mentioned. I got an error while in a crime sweep with another commander. Shadowplay and GE Experience crashed and took E-D with them. Not cool.... not cool at all. I've never had that issue with Fraps.

Turned off shadowplay and setup OpenBroadcast. I setup the most simple hotkeys that I could think of, but it still took a few button presses to get the buffer going, then a button to record from buffer, then another one to stop recording, and one to stop the buffer. Sheesh... that's a lot for an old guy to remember! It ran fine, but no noticeable benefit over Fraps and I didn't see a way to stay in-game and be sure that OBS was doing what I wanted it to be doing.

So.... yup... I'm back to using Fraps. It works well for what I need, which is just to record a buffer and continue recording in-game when something cool (or something very not-cool) happens.

Oh... and I control it with just one hotkey. If it's in standby, hitting F9 will start recording. Hit it again to stop. Want a buffer to start running? Just hold down F9 for a couple of seconds, and the buffer starts (visual verification in game by a color change of the FPS counter). Want to record the buffer and keep recording for a bit? Yup... you guessed it...tap the F9 key (another color change verification via the counter). Want to end the recording now? F9. Simple as hell.... just the way I like it. ;)

OBS has a lot of development at the moment, I'm sure your feedback on hotkeys would be appreciated by them.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

JustSomeGuy
Master
Master
CMDR: Murhapuro

Postby JustSomeGuy » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:26 am

I have been using Fraps too, but I have a feeling that it has been forgotten as there has been no updates in ages. I mostly use it for screenshots as it can take them in png format which is lossless. Fraps' video codec takes huge amount of space so I'm going to take a look at OBS too.
Any idea what I could use to replace Fraps for screenshots? I want png format shots, or at very least bmp/tiff which I can then convert to png later by hand. I have not taken a look at obs yet so maybe it works for scrshots too?

Some time ago I searched for an alternative and found Dxtory but I have not tried it.

I do have an nvidia card, but it is a lower end gtx 660 and I have been planning to get a more up to date card from the red camp but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I also need to get a new PSU as my 560w Seasonic will be too small. My eyes have been on 390x but I'm very interested in the cards with the newer fiji chip on them. Fury X would be very interesting but only thing holding me back is the price. And with my luck just after I buy it the price comes crashing down and / or they release a new much better card with the same price.

For video capture, there is also the option of external capture devices and pci cards too.
I play on PC, in the Mobius PVE Eurasia group.

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly

Postby JohnLuke » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:07 am

JustSomeGuy wrote:Any idea what I could use to replace Fraps for screenshots? I want png format shots, or at very least bmp/tiff which I can then convert to png later by hand. I have not taken a look at obs yet so maybe it works for scrshots too?

Take a look at Screen Shot Changer, by our very own De Carabas. :)

I use it and love it!
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

LionOfNarnia
Master
Master
CMDR: Lion Freeman

Postby LionOfNarnia » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:53 am

I've been using D3DGear for about a month, I did my 'promotion to Dangerous' video on it, had no problems except deciding which hotkey to use ;)

https://youtu.be/Pqi__D9Qmuk
"I don't always kill & eat things - but when I do it's because I'm a Lion & they were things"

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly

Postby JohnLuke » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:08 pm

I gave Shadowplay another try. I've been using it for about a week now, and love it. No issues at all, and it doesn't generate additional heat in my PC like Fraps did. I have it running a 2 minute buffer, and by looking at temps and performance I can't even tell that it's running. :D
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

Oldhand
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Oldhand

Postby Oldhand » Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:28 pm

You don't need an external program.
If you are a Windows user, just use the internal game options for vid capture.
In Settings the Xbox gamebar should be ON. And while in game, just push Win-G.
Your capture will appear in Videos/Captures.
Maybe it works for Xbox users too.

Return to “Hardware and Technical”