Community Support for the game and it's features
Yendor242
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Yendor242
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Thoughts on the ASP

Postby Yendor242 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:21 am

My biggest issue with the Asp? I bought a paint job from the Elite Store, and for the life of me I can't find a single station with a Livery that will do anything more than put the silly skulls on my ship!!!!

:x :x :x

But I took the skulls anyway. :)

CMDR Ingulf
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Ingulf

Postby CMDR Ingulf » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:46 pm

Yendor242 wrote:I have an Asp as of Saturday, but before I was like you, Ingulf, using a Type 6 for my "semi truck" and my Cobra for fighting. Was pretty great with everything on both ships maxed out (A2, A3, A4), but this Asp will do everything the Cobra plus the Type 6 can do, only more of everything.

I agree with Xebeth. Beams are the way to go. I don't even use kinetic weapons. I had Beams all the way around (2 Med, 2 Sm) and could kill anything I came up against very, very quickly. Deadly ranked dudes, well they take a little more time but they go down eventually, too. As long as you have an A4 powerplant, PLUS arrange your FSD and Cargo Hatch to shut down while your guns are deployed (set them to priority 2), you won't have to worry about overheating. Well, you will overload them, but they WILL NOT shut down on you. They'll overload only because you will be mashing on the trigger and never letting up! :) They kinda turn into super powerful pulse lasers at that point. lol Just remember to set full bars on weapons (I leave 1 dot each on engines and power).

The Elite Pirate Lord who I finally got balls enough to go up against is the only guy so far who has given me issue. I had used half of my shield banks and only had him down to 75% hull and 75% powerplant. Then my dang computer crashed before the outcome of the battle. I've been messing with overclocking again, trying to squeeze every last drop of horsepower out of this old AMD D830 just for Elite, and I think I finally got it stable. ANYWAYS, I think I might have taken him down eventually. Maybe not, but the medium beams really do a number on well, *everything*.

:!: NOTE: Target the powerplant subsystem on bigger ships like Pythons and Anacondas! You destroy that, the ship blows no matter what the hull damage is!!! :mrgreen: Don't worry about subsystems on anything smaller; you'll destroy the hull before you destroy the subsystem.

Great useful advice, cheers :D

So far I'm using 2 med beams and 4 small multicannons...quite standard tactic: shield down with beams and then close & personal with multis. I love the sheer brutality of multis! :P
Powerplant is A4, like you said, but I'll move to A5 very soon. So I can upgrade my thrusters, then FSD and finally shields (wich are now 5D for weight saving purpose...I made a moderate use of shield cells when needed).

btw I finally found a station providing A5 shield, it has not been easy!

Anyway you are right, great ship. A little less cargo than Type-6 and a little less agility than Cobra...but the real "multipurposeness" (is this even a real word? would be great to create a neologism in a language I never even studied like english lol) is invaluable...trading while bounty hunting & exploring while making rep missions. You know what I mean.

Before with two ships I felt "stuck" somehow, now I can really freely wander...to infinity and beyond!
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for my Python is with me. (Psalm 23:4)

Rhysling
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Rhysling

Postby Rhysling » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:25 pm

Love the Asp for trading (more cargo than the type 6 and much more manoeuvrable) but it's hard to upgrade - size 5s are hard to find even if you've got the money - and wickedly expensive on repairs. To be honest, I think the Cobra makes a better long-range exploring ship. It's cheap to run and repair, and you really only need the scanners, fuel scoop and heat sink for going any distance outside the bubble.
It's easier to get forgiveness than permission.

highlightshadow
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Lev von Shadow

Postby highlightshadow » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:40 pm

I'll say this .... I just finally bought a clipper ..... sold my Asp to do it ....

Am now parked back up in Founders World about to sell it and buy my Asp back

The Asp is a really well balanced ship.... good for rare trading, good for exploration, good at combat

Clipper ................... looks and sounds amazing and is fast and agile sub-light ....
Err... thats about it .... long-distance its a ruined ship

Asp is mine for a long time now and going nowhere
King von Shadow
Loyal subject to Emperor Duval and the Princess Aisling Duval

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:55 pm

That's what you get for buying Imperial "Poof" Shite.....

Looks good......And that's about it......

:D

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

Feldspar
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Feldspar

Postby Feldspar » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:09 pm

Cmdr Kharma wrote:That's what you get for buying Imperial "Poof" Shite.....

Looks good......And that's about it......

:D

Which is still one up on the Federal Dropship.

Siobhan
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Shivvi

Postby Siobhan » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:25 pm

I'm in a class A fitted Cobra right now with 5.5M cr spare. Thinking about an asp, but... I just love my flying wing of death. Never lost a fight yet... though granted it is only vs NPCs. I drop anything smaller than a python with barely a pause... and have dealt the occasional dropship, clipper and 'conda too.

I know I need to upgrade sometime, but... it's like swapping a 007 style Lambo for a Humvee

Flip
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Flip Martin

Postby Flip » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:19 pm

Nah, the Asp is not a Humvee! Not with the right upgrades, at least. But you might want to cash a few more millions before switching, so you can upgrade it properly.

There's only one area where the Cobra beats the Asp, IMO: the cost of running and repairing it.
We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty! ―Douglas Adams

highlightshadow
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Lev von Shadow

Postby highlightshadow » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:43 pm

Indeed
Last 2 repair bills.
89% hull damage from hitting an asteroid cost 177000 cr
6% hull damage from bad interdiction was 11500cr

A rated devices for asp are all 5m for class 5 and 2m for class 4

U need at least 500k for insurance going up to 1.2m for a decent spec

Good ship bit expensive to run
King von Shadow
Loyal subject to Emperor Duval and the Princess Aisling Duval

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth

Postby Xebeth » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:52 pm

The ASP is a great (not so) little ship, hundreds of kills in mine and no losses. There is some eternally pleasurable about seeing a pirate's shields melt away with the beams and then watching it evaporate under the fury of 4 multi-cannons. Not to mention the jump range and cargo capacity.

Interestingly, with the changes to collision damage, being rammed by a high speed viper just slightly dims the first ring of my shields (Class B), but takes out the vipers shields completely along with a third its hull - great fun.
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

Return to “Gameplay and Features”