Community Support for the game and it's features
Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Thoughts on the ASP

Postby Xebeth » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:29 pm

So after a long trading grind, I finally got my ASP :D and thought I would share my thoughts, there is no science behind this, it's just my feelings - but it may help anyone thinking of going that way :)

Aesthetics
The ASP will not win any beauty awards, the blurb states that it's the civilian version of a military craft, and it shows, in many ways it reminds me of a military Land Rover or the like, that said with the new paint jobs available it does have a mean brooding look.
Internally there is nothing much to speak of in the cockpit (no interesting glowing panels or anything), but this is really because, like other Lakons, it's mainly glass, giving amazing views of what's around you, really amazing views.

Flight Performance
In a straight line, I'd put the ASP behind the Cobra for basic speed, but in a fight the ASP feels well ahead in terms of manoeuvrability, in fact after only a few days of using it, Vipers seem to be the only craft I struggle to keep in front of me, and then it's just a case of moving away a bit.

Weapons
The ASP has two medium and four small hard points, I have 2 x sml beams, 2 x small multi-cannons, and 2 x medium multi-cannons, all gimbled. The hard points are nicely forwards and close together, so there doesn't seem to be the issue that the Cobra has where you need to tilt the ship slightly up if your target is above you.
The six weapon layout is a real blast, anything smaller than a Cobra is usually dead before my kill scanner finishes, and I've even been in the interesting situation of Pythons trying to run away. I actually look forward to being interdicted, just for the sudden panic that comes across the comms when they are taken down to 20% in a single sweep :twisted: .

From a utility point perspective, with four points I can have a top and bottom point defences, chaff launcher and kill scanner.

Compartments
The ASP has loads of internal space, a size 6 compartment means you can have 64 tons of cargo and only use one compartment, if you wanted however you can have 96 tons of cargo space without needing to touch the shields.
I've gone for BDS, detailed surface scanner, fuel scoop, shield cell, docking computer (yes I know :roll: ), and still have 64 tons of cargo space.

Travel
Out of the box, the ASP has a 13ly jump range, my fully loaded version (with full cargo) is still over 11ly, and I haven't upgraded the FSD, from what I've read a grade A FSD will put it in the mid 20's.

Running Costs
Being a bigger ship it uses more fuel, I'd guess 20% to 30% more than the Cobra, but with a fuel scoop it really isn't an issue. Obviously, if you use kinetic weapons you'll be spending more on ammo as well.
However, it's the upgrades that are the stinger, most of the components are class 4 or 5 and they cost :o , to give a simple example military grade composite armour will set you back a cool 5 million credits (500k ish on the cobra) :P .

Conclusions
Like I said there is no science to this, it's just my feelings, but so far I've got to say I'm loving the ASP. In a fight it feels really competent, if I want to trade I can still turn a decent profit, a bit of exploration - no problem, decent jump distance and a 32 ton fuel tank means you should never get stuck if you can't fuel scoop.

Overall this really does feel like the perfect multi-purpose ship, yes it's expensive to buy and upgrade, but for me it really feels like it has opened up Elite to endless possibilities.
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

Flip
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Flip Martin
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Thoughts on the ASP

Postby Flip » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:50 pm

Congrats on getting your Asp! I love mine too, but there's a couple of notable things you didn't mention:

- Insurance can get pretty expensive. Mine is about 560k.
- Repairs are quite expensive too!
We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty! ―Douglas Adams

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly

Postby Xebeth » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:08 pm

Cheers Flip, yes very good points, I've not really done that many upgrades and my insurance is 450K ish.

philba2849
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Eon Storm

Postby philba2849 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:36 pm

You mention 96T 'without having to touch the shields'. You should be using your Class 5 slot for shields. The Class three maximum mass is almost the same as the upgraded Asp's empty mass, so you won't get much shield strength, particularly if you are hauling cargo. The shield cell will help...but you may find yourself short in a good fight depending on how the devs fix the shield cell invulnerability problem. You can still manage 88T if you upgrade the shield and not run a shield cell, assuming you are running a Class 3 fuel scoop (which makes scooping much faster). Switch out the two Class 2 cargo pods for scanners when you want to go exploring.

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly

Postby Xebeth » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:20 am

philba2849 wrote:You mention 96T 'without having to touch the shields'. You should be using your Class 5 slot for shields.

That's correct, the ASP has 1 x Class 6, 1 x Class 5, 3 x Class 3, and 2 x Class 2. So leaving the shields in the Class 5 gives you room for 1 x 64 tons, 3 x 8 tons, and 2 x 4 tons = 96 tons (and still have the Class 5 Shields), that's assuming you want to just trade.

But you are correct, if you use a Class 3 scoop you'll still get 88 tons.

anikaiful
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Mir Fnar

Postby anikaiful » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:31 am

Xebeth wrote:<snip>

Yep. Asp's a great ship in many regards. And with Asp you get more bang for the buck than with almost any other ship.

What comes to the jump range... Asp can hop well past 35LY in single jump if kitted light-weight.

Antmax
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Antmax

Postby Antmax » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:51 am

I love my Asp. I really enjoyed the Cobra but always fell short of internal compartments. Asp does almost everything I need. Except I don't want to ditch one of my 8t cargos for an interdictor when I already have detail, intermediate scanners and fuel scoop :). I guess I'm a bit greedy.

When I'm completely kitted out I'll probably ditch a cargo hold. Right now I have no real interest in a larger ship, this one is fantastic.

Bent Onside
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Bent Onside

Postby Bent Onside » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:20 pm

I currently (still) fly an asp. If only trading consider doing A3 shield as its price is ok, and Ive been in some fights but have yet to see my shield go down. I dont get much interdictions while doing rares. That way you get 112(118 without bsd and dc) which is considerable profit channge vs 90ish.

All a-gear except sensors (a is 20t vs 8t on d) which gives you roughly 23 ly, but difference to stock gear is awesome especially thrusters.

Unless you have an a or b class3 fuel scoop refueling takes a lot of time. But with full tank I can do the whole 160+ ly trip in one go.

Only thing it lacks is C4 compartments, but I guess that would be overpowering.

Oh, and hull repair costs are nuts. I flew 500k ls in 47 ceti last night and had to pay 47k cr for repair of hull once i got to station. I think they should fix that a bit, it is just way too expensive too fast..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Torrentae
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Torrentae

Postby Torrentae » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:22 pm

I can not wait until I get my Asp, I am currently about 1 mil into my viper and I love it but i long for the extra slots for exploration. What is the starting price point to kit the asp out to a workable point?

Flip
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Flip Martin

Postby Flip » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:03 pm

I waited until I had about 10 millions in the bank before I got mine. That covered for the first batch of upgrades, plus the insurance and some cash to spare. I kept my Cobra, though.
We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty! ―Douglas Adams

Return to “Gameplay and Features”