Community Support for the game and it's features
Sanfrid
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Sanfrid
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Question about exploration

Postby Sanfrid » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:36 pm

I’ve played the game for a while now maybe a couple of years off and on but this is my first trip to the black. I’ve found some star systems when I fire off my discover scanner it will show something like 10 or more planetary bodies discovered. When I go to system map the only thing showing is just the star. I moved on to another system and this time is had two stars. I honk and discover 17 bodies. On the map it only shows the two stars. I figured this is a bug but I wanted to travel to the other star anyway. So I’m supercruising to second star and I noticed two point of light pass by my canopy. It looked like debri and not part of the star field. So I turn around and tried to find the two points of light and head toward them as I get really close they suddenly turned into two planets and when I open map they show up now. Is this how you discover planets in unexplored systems? There are no orbit lines or anything to target looking out of the canopy other than the two stars. It was luck that I found those two planets no idea how to find the rest. Is this working as intended or a bug?

Walter
Master
Master
CMDR: Walter Wall

Re: Question about exploration

Postby Walter » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:57 pm

It sounds as if you are relying on the default Discovery Scanner, which has a limited range. You need to upgrade to the Advanced Discovery Scanner and capture the whole system at one go.
Last edited by Walter on Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LeDoyen
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Le Doyen

Postby LeDoyen » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:11 pm

The discovery scanner module doesn't exist anymore. What you need to look at is how to use the FSS (Full spectrum System Scanner).

Fortunately, Frontier redid their tutorials just for it :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXXe7422OYE

Walter
Master
Master
CMDR: Walter Wall

Postby Walter » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:34 pm

LeDoyen wrote:The discovery scanner module doesn't exist anymore. What you need to look at is how to use the FSS (Full spectrum System Scanner).

You're absolutely right, I'm thinking in the past - and I've been far out on the galactic rim for the past six months using this updated system. The FSS is quite slick once you get used to it and it's very easy to use.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby TorTorden » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:29 am

You can get pretty quick with the FSS.
Compared to the old you can detail scan a full system of 30+ bodies in a few minutes.
The old way that would have taken you hours.

Now of course you can go and spend even more time than that if you want to also surface map the planets.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Sanfrid
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Sanfrid

Postby Sanfrid » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:04 pm

Wow I totally didn’t know anything about the FSS. I had to go to settings and map it to my hotas. Thank you very much for this info. I feel like a noob all over again lol.

RC51Player
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: TheRC51Player2
CMDR_Platform: XBOX

Postby RC51Player » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:33 pm

Now if only we didn't have to wait so long for it to count the geo/bio sites. But it sure beats mapping every planet and moon.

CSharpDude
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Karl Mannheim

Postby CSharpDude » Wed May 22, 2019 1:08 pm

As far as credits go, surface mapping pays better than just the FSS. But it takes longer, so it's a trade-off.

Norwin Palmer
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Norwin Palmer

Postby Norwin Palmer » Wed May 22, 2019 6:58 pm

RC51Player wrote:Now if only we didn't have to wait so long for it to count the geo/bio sites. But it sure beats mapping every planet and moon.

Don't have to wait, it is just a fixed timer (based on how many sites there are) so you can go on with scanning and come back later and it will be done if the fixed time has passed.

Hrdina
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Hrdina

Postby Hrdina » Sun May 26, 2019 2:52 am

Norwin Palmer wrote:
RC51Player wrote:Now if only we didn't have to wait so long for it to count the geo/bio sites. But it sure beats mapping every planet and moon.

Don't have to wait, it is just a fixed timer (based on how many sites there are) so you can go on with scanning and come back later and it will be done if the fixed time has passed.

Excellent, I was wondering if that was the case, but hadn't taken the time to figure it out.
Jameson & Son are my copilots

Return to “Gameplay and Features”