Community Support for the game and it's features
Unite
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Unite_81
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Ship won't land after recall

Postby Unite » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:30 am

Last night I thought I'd have a go at guardian stuff. So I flew off to the closest guardian site (900ly away) to a structure on top of a mountain. Then spent about 20 minutes looking for somewhere to land but the only place I could find was quiet far away. Spent another 20 minutes driving up the north face of the eiger (and tumbling back down) until I finally reached the guardian site which was COOL. Seriously, if anyone hasn't been to a guardian site I highly recommend going for a look.

I collected some stuff and with 2 items of cargo in my SRV I though I'd go back to the ship to unload. So rather than face the cliff edge again I dismissed the ship then recalled thinking it'll find somewhere closer to land, it always does, doesn't it? So I drove to just outside the site perimeter and recalled and my trusty ORCA just for it to arrive above my and hover there. It will not land! Its just sits above me with its SRV hatch open. I drove around for a good 30 minutes looking for somewhere flat (I assumed it was something to do with the terrain) but no matter what I did the ship will not land. So before I go all Jean-Luc Picard and make a jump in my Argo can someone explain what is going on. I suppose I could drive (or roll) all the way back down the mountain but that means driving back up again which to be honest was a nightmare and my SRV skills are not the best.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Ship won't land after recall

Postby TorTorden » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:14 am

Yup that's a feature.
If the ship can't find a suitable landing site inside 2.5 km it will come in for a hover pickup.
And yes. that computer is far less capable in finding a landing site than we are.

You can technically board like that but you have to still be precisely underneath the hatch..
Not the easiest of things since it can't find a landing spot for a reason.

And sometimes the distanse in height can be just to far.

As for SRV driving.
Do not think of it as a car.
It's closer to a jumping goat than a car.
Don't drive it. You hop and fly it.

Also on the guardian structures you aren't looking for cargo.
What you want there come as materials that are used to unlocking various guardian modules.
for instance the FSD booster modules.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Walter
Master
Master
CMDR: Walter Wall

Postby Walter » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:25 am

The Orca is a big ship; it's going to be more of a challenge to land on rough terrain.

You've got three options:

1 As Tor suggests and attempt the jump;

2 Spend some time searching for a suitable landing spot while improving your SRV skills and contemplating the benefits of a smaller ship;

3 The easy way out: reboot ED from the launcher using the non-Horizons edition. This will put you on your ship above the planet, but you won't be able to land again until you restart Elite Dangerous: Horizons.

Unite
Harmless
Harmless

Postby Unite » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:40 pm

The ORCA may be a big ship but if your going to travel the galaxy why not do it in style, plus for her size she is fast and very maneuverable. Not fully engineered yet but getting a 35ly jump, 420m/s thrusters boosting to over 500. Oh and thats with a defensive loadout of 6C shields, full set of lasers, hull and module reinforcement etc. Most other systems are A rated too. Still just light alloys though. Her power plant and distributor are lightly engineered but can hold the shields up and keep all weapons firing constantly against any small and most medium NPCs. Even held up fine in a threat 4 thargoids encounter as I just wanted to see what they looked like for myself. Really is an underrated ship in my opinion.

but to the topic in question...

I suppose I'll just have to make my way back down the cliff face again to find a flat(ish) spot to park. I might try and jump and sure if I miss I'll probably just bounce my way to the bottom of the mountain anyway. Should probably record it for a lols real on youtube

I could log between ED and Horizons but I prefer to address the issue I'm having in game rather than do that. I also like to collect EVERYTHING I see as (so far anyway) its helped with my engineering grind as I already have the majority of materials I need (other than stupid wake scans, like watching buses drive past and writing down their numbers). Oh and yes I know I don't need the cargo for engineering but once I've picked it up its mine and I am not letting go, well not until I get to a station and sell it anyway.

I do struggle to drive the SRV as the default keyboard controls I find a bit odd. It is a bit easier to put 4 pips to engines and thrust around so I'll try using that more. Really need to get another flight stick after giving my last one to my son who is also playing ED now. I find the keyboard controls slow to react at times. Probably just me but the analogue input from the stick seem to give you far better control and I think it would be especially useful for the rather twitchy SRV.

Walter
Master
Master
CMDR: Walter Wall

Postby Walter » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:04 pm

I've done everything I wanted to do in nothing bigger than a Python, but do use an Anaconda occasionally.

I forgot the fourth option, which you may encounter: falling off a cliff in a terminal manner - puts you back in your ship with SRV and cargo lost.

Unite
Harmless
Harmless

Postby Unite » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:13 pm

Well the orca is just my exploration ship and while I could probably do just as well in an asp I thought I'd take the long one out as no-one else seems to show her any love.

I do agree the python is probably my favorite all rounder all be it my python is currently outfitted for mining and I have my krait as a fighter since it has a fighter bay.

I'm not really fussed about going for the Conda as it just seems a bit to big. I did have one of those beluga things for a while when I was milking some passenger runs but its size just makes it near impossible to fly. Kept trying to rip the wings off on station slots. It was also a pain in the ass to land and I ended up using the docking computer. Only kept it for a week then sold it on.

My orca may be built like a steak house but she handles like a bistro (name the reference anyone?)

Anyway I'll be online later to attempt an SRV docking.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly

Postby TorTorden » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:11 pm

Yeah just drive off a little and it should easily find a place to park.

Since you actually dismissed the ship yourself you hadn't parked far.

I don't find a few kilometres as very far.
But then again I'm one of the crazies that are contemplating a 1/10 Dakkar rally in the srv.
That would be an 860-900km trundle.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Unite
Harmless
Harmless

Postby Unite » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:51 am

So I drove off a bit and eventually found a spot that the ship still hovered but at a not unreasonable distance so was able to line up and board.

Of course I then spent ages and finding another space to land about 3km from the site and by the time I got there the SRV was down to 51% hull. As I said I can't drive the SRV worth a damn and I think its down to its twitchy handling and my use of the keyboard. I managed to activate 2 of the pillars but then 2 guardian drones showed up and completely mauled me with a few rockets. Respawned back into my ship at 20odd km above the surface and just pointed the nose up. I'm back towards the bubble now just continuing my engineer grind. If I can wrestle my flight stick from my son I'll maybe head back and try another guardian site and maybe in a smaller ship that easier to land.

Out of interest, I've see pics of people landing ships right beside the guardian site? When I first tried to recall the ship the SRV said I had to travel a certain distance away from the structure, about 1km, but the pictures I've seen online have a ship well within that. Has something been changed in game regarding this or am I missing something else?

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly

Postby TorTorden » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:20 pm

It varies of course with each site.

I think there are like 30 or so if them.
And of course l, smaller ships can land in tighter spots and you can still land it manually anywhere it just can't be recalled inside that radius.

Done most, which isn't to much, of my guardian stuff with my Krait mk2.

As for exploration I have a clipper setup for that.
Got like 50 ly on it.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Unite
Harmless
Harmless

Postby Unite » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:03 pm

TorTorden wrote:As for exploration I have a clipper setup for that.
Got like 50 ly on it.

Well my orca is at 35ly or so for now only half way through level 4 of engineering. Its also fitout with some heavy stuff. I was tweeking her a bit in station last night and can easily get over 40ly at present. Hoping to hit 50ly after the full engineering grind and possibly more if I can get my guardian booster.

A friend of mine on ED is also grinding this at present then next month we are heading off on a wee road (errr star) trip to Colonia.

Return to “Gameplay and Features”