Community Support for the game and it's features
Worldbuilder
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Worldbuilder92
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

How do I Mine?, and other such newb questions

Postby Worldbuilder » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:21 am

[PREFACE: I know there are other topics about this which would probably be a better place to lodge this query, but I don't want to upset anyone by "necroposting", so I'm making a new topic for this. If I need to ask this in another place, please let me know, as I'm still learning my way around the forums. Thank you.]

As I've stated in other posts, I am new to Elite. As such, I wanted to try and learn about how the game works in order to set up a "starting character", as it were, for me to practice with and get accustomed to the game. I decided to start by exploring the mining/salvage career, as one can easily make a lot of money by collecting leftover garbage and playing around rocks.
However, the mining tutorial left me confused and lost; at a certain point, it asked me to enter "analysis mode", and the objectives began registering as complete, even though I myself wasn't doing anything. I couldn't find the keybind to enter analysis mode, nor could I even get my mining tools to activate! I tried watching the Youtube video, but that left me more confused than anything.

I then decided to skip the tutorial, and try to learn on the fly. I began by leaving Trevithick station to head for Evarate, in hopes of finding some materials which could boost my funds and start me saving up for a transport of some kind. I discovered a shipwreck around a nearby planet, and decided to investigate; in short, I found a wreck which left me with some unusual raw materials, including crystals and toxic samples. With visions of scavenging wrecks in my head, I docked with the nearest station, Maine, in hopes of selling what I'd collected...and I couldn't find how to sell anything.

Thus is why I am writing this. My questions are as follows:

1. How exactly do I mine? Where is the keybind slot for Analysis mode in Options, and what do I have to do to move from that to mining for ore?
2. Where do I find limpets, and how much do they cost?
3. How do I sell the loot I have collected? Are there certain things which can't be sold or traded?
4. How do we obtain new paintjobs and decals? Must they be paid for, or can they be unlocked in game? Are they part of any Steam bundle packs?

Hopefully someone here can help me sort out these confusing problems, that I may upgrade to a new ship and start playing in earnest. Thanks for any advice you all can share with me.

- Atlas
I am Atlas, keeper of lore and builder of worlds.
I like storytelling of all kinds. I also am a science nerd, with interest in biology and geoscience.
If you wish to pick a worldbuilder's mind for ideas, feel free to message me!

Norwin Palmer
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Norwin Palmer

Re: How do I Mine?, and other such newb questions

Postby Norwin Palmer » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:06 am

1a. It is expensive to purchase the equipment and a ship to start mining so not something typically done straight away by new commanders. I would suggest getting at least 500K credits before starting.

If you simply wish to get a start on making some funds I would suggest learning the new exploration mechanics. Ships now come equipped with a module that used to cost 1.54M credits so you effectively start off 1.54M credits ahead of where CMDRS before you did.

This free module is a very powerful tool for exploring (making money). I tested it last night in a starter Sidewinder upgraded with only a 2C frame shift drive and a 1E fuel scoop (18.11K credits) and made 605K credits in a random 50Ly trip, 523K credits in another random 33Ly trip, and the last trip was 22Ly and I only made 8K credits so some luck is involved in hitting the right systems.

1b. From the MAIN MENU -> OPTIONS -> CONTROLS -> MODE SWITCHES -> SWITCH HUD MODE (very last entry at bottom of list) for default keyboard the "m" key.

2. STARPORT SERVICES -> ADVANCED MAINTENANCE -> RESTOCK -> LIMPETS but you can not buy limpets unless you have a limpet controller equipped on your ship. Cost 101 CR.

3. If it is legal it can be sold at any station that has a STARPORT SERVICES -> COMMODITIES MARKET, most stations have one but not all. If it is illegal it will need to be either sold at a COMMODITIES MARKET in a system where the item is legal or on a station that has a black market under STARPORT SERVICES -> CONTACTS -> BLACK MARKET.

4. STARPORT SERVICES -> LIVERY => SHIP -> PAINT JOB most paint jobs cost money but the Commander Deluxe Edition comes with some free skins.

Norwin Palmer
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Norwin Palmer

Re: How do I Mine?, and other such newb questions

Postby Norwin Palmer » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:38 pm

I just realized that if you salvaged a ship the good you have may need to be sold to the Search and Rescue Contact. This is located in the game menu under STARPORT SERVICES -> CONTACTS -> SEARCH AND RESCUE CONTACT

Return to “Gameplay and Features”