Lining up in SC to drop in front of mailslot.

Community Support for the game and it's features
Norwin Palmer
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Norwin Palmer
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Lining up in SC to drop in front of mailslot.

Postby Norwin Palmer » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:21 pm

Basically the holo image of the station on the ship dash is offset down and to the left so replicate this offset on approach in supercruise to actually be lined up on axis with the station.

Can see this offset when parked at a station directly in front of mailslot. Not very important to get it exact just in the general area of that image is good enough. Have seen this discussed before but thought a visual would be nice too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAGdOvAtALU

tinnitus
Master
Master
CMDR: Nar Nar Goon

Re: Lining up in SC to drop in front of mailslot.

Postby tinnitus » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:41 pm

One of the better videos I've seen a useful time saving maneuver I wasted many hours flying around a station to the slot. Once flying the Cutter I hit the Station when I dropped out from "SC". Thanks for the Video.
Image]

“In real life you never get to say "OMG I died, balls to wall and fly her apart.”

b00st3d
Novice
Novice
CMDR: b00st3d

Postby b00st3d » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:49 am

The thing I've always done was line up the hologram with the orientation of the ship. The hologram is to your left a little so that's why it looks like its offset.

Norwin Palmer
Novice
Novice

Postby Norwin Palmer » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:36 pm

tinnitus wrote:One of the better videos I've seen a useful time saving maneuver I wasted many hours flying around a station to the slot. Once flying the Cutter I hit the Station when I dropped out from "SC". Thanks for the Video.

Thanks, the only time I hit a station was when they added those military stations. Lost that ship as it actually dropped inside the structure and I could not get out, alarms, bells and madness ensued the boom.

Norwin Palmer
Novice
Novice

Postby Norwin Palmer » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:49 pm

b00st3d wrote:The thing I've always done was line up the hologram with the orientation of the ship. The hologram is to your left a little so that's why it looks like its offset.

I see people say that but I have no idea what "line up the hologram with the orientation of the ship" means which is why I made the video. Judging by the number of YouTube videos and Twitch livestreams I watch where people line it up all different ways and none of them drop in front of the mailbox there is a lot of variations out there.

It makes sense that is what it is supposed to represent but I am not convinced that it would actually look like that, which I suppose is like discussing what a unicorn should look like :lol:

tinnitus
Master
Master
CMDR: Nar Nar Goon

Postby tinnitus » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:11 pm

Norwin Palmer wrote:Thanks, the only time I hit a station was when they added those military stations. Lost that ship as it actually dropped inside the structure and I could not get out, alarms, bells and madness ensued the boom.

Your welcome. I'll attempt to avoid doing that but I believe your not alone there. No fun going BOOM hitting a rock after dropping out of SC in a ZRES the walk home is terrible ;)
Image]

“In real life you never get to say "OMG I died, balls to wall and fly her apart.”

b00st3d
Novice
Novice
CMDR: b00st3d

Postby b00st3d » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:18 pm

Norwin Palmer wrote:
b00st3d wrote:The thing I've always done was line up the hologram with the orientation of the ship. The hologram is to your left a little so that's why it looks like its offset.

I see people say that but I have no idea what "line up the hologram with the orientation of the ship" means which is why I made the video. Judging by the number of YouTube videos and Twitch livestreams I watch where people line it up all different ways and none of them drop in front of the mailbox there is a lot of variations out there.

It makes sense that is what it is supposed to represent but I am not convinced that it would actually look like that, which I suppose is like discussing what a unicorn should look like :lol:

By "line up with the orientation of the ship", I mean if you were to lean your head to the left so that you were in front of the hologram in game, it should be straight on. Since you're not directly behind the hologram, that's where your offset comes from. That said, good video. Shows exactly how to line up.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby TorTorden » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:07 am

I realised a while back that I often would spend more time trying to get the perfect alignment than it would take just to land on station and find the mail slot there. There is something to be said for not faffing around and getting it done.

And especially the difference between landing directly infront of the slot and about 90° is even less than you would think.
And if you come in perpendicular to the orbit ring, yes they have a purpose, that's your worst landing angle.

Maybe the one exception here might be something like an unengineered t9 or something.
Even with those the procedure after landing is the same.

Draw a mental line directly out of the slot and boost towards it at a point that would be well clear of the toast rack.
Disable flight assist and then flip your ship around so as you drift in you face the slot square.

As you approach the line and dependent on your ship re-engage flight assist, with a little practice you will come to an easy stop right in front of the slot.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Norwin Palmer
Novice
Novice

Postby Norwin Palmer » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:31 pm

TorTorden wrote:... There is something to be said for not faffing around and getting it done.

I do not do faffing around, just what I might find acceptable some people would find intolerably infuriating. Actually I did not know what faffing about meant until I looked it up. I do tons and tons of faffing around... like playing Elite Dangerous.

And especially the difference between landing directly infront of the slot and about 90° is even less than you would think. ...

I am not sure how you know what I might think unless it is a colloquialism and it means "is even less than a person might think."

Draw a mental line directly out of the slot and boost towards it at a point that would be well clear of the toast rack.
Disable flight assist and then flip your ship around so as you drift in you face the slot square.

As you approach the line and dependent on your ship re-engage flight assist, with a little practice you will come to an easy stop right in front of the slot.

I never really use FAO but I did try my interpretation of what you described and I did like it. Very eerie feeling silently drifting into position. I can see how that could be very appealing and maybe even addictive to some extent. I did not exactly line up with the mail slot but close enough to get the job done.

Language is tricky and text only even more so.

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:04 pm

Never had a problem......

Line up as best I can......If I can't no big deal......

Drop outta SC.......

Get within 7.5......

Hit button that launches docking macro.......

Take slurp of beer......

Job done...........

:D

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

Return to “Gameplay and Features”