Community Support for the game and it's features
tinnitus
Master
Master
CMDR: Nar Nar Goon
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Ship automatically reversing on it own

Postby tinnitus » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:27 am

Had this problem months ago but it is back today happens automatically in normal space without any assistance from the commander. Like to auto-reverse after dropping out just off a station. I have no idea why, anyone else seeing this behavior?

Regards
Image]

“In real life you never get to say "OMG I died, balls to wall and fly her apart.”

macpeep
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: macpeep
CMDR_Platform: PlayStation

Re: Ship automatically reversing on it own

Postby macpeep » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:46 pm

What platform? And when you say reversing do you mean the throttle goes into reverse or what? Could be a broken controller. I had an issue on PS4 where the ship would pitch up on its own due to the controller being broken.

tinnitus
Master
Master

Postby tinnitus » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:58 pm

macpeep wrote:What platform? And when you say reversing do you mean the throttle goes into reverse or what? Could be a broken controller. I had an issue on PS4 where the ship would pitch up on its own due to the controller being broken.

Thanks for your reply, PC (WIN 10 64) HOTAS WARTHHOG, reverse is press hold an UP/DWN slider button on the stick. Only happens in Elite (not that I have any other game to simulate it). Guess I'm saying buttons do what they are assigned to do - I can watch it go into to reverse almost Immediately after dropping out of SC appears for me the throttle is set to backup as if I pushed it fully forward it is not a big issue I can play all day just strange.

Again Thank-you for your help and time.
Last edited by tinnitus on Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image]

“In real life you never get to say "OMG I died, balls to wall and fly her apart.”

GreenViper
Master
Master
CMDR: GreenViper

Postby GreenViper » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:12 pm

Sounds weird and never had that before..
Have you tried to calibrate all axes once again ? like the first and about only thing I could think of...
- Cmdr GreenViper -

Forum moderator
MCRN Squadron Commander & Council member

raorn
Competent
Competent
CMDR: raorn

Postby raorn » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:58 pm

macpeep wrote:I had an issue on PS4 where the ship would pitch up on its own due to the controller being broken.

Pitch up when you press L2? Is this a common DS4 problem? Is there a fix?

tinnitus
Master
Master

Postby tinnitus » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:10 pm

Did the calibrate with same result but the buttons do what they are assigned to do. What I wanted not to do is mess with it too much then lose shit even with backups one can break other games. Weird, yip it is a few weird things happening the last few days.
Image]

tinnitus
Master
Master

Postby tinnitus » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:33 am

One work around for me with this auto-reverse problem is when I drop out of SC at a station/space-side outpost (no other place) is go full throttle pull back a notch resting for a second or 3 then proceeding as normal; am sure it is my old equipment with thousands of game hours and a shit load (mega credits) in old Quince combat zones.
Image]

macpeep
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: macpeep

Postby macpeep » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:25 pm

raorn wrote:Pitch up when you press L2? Is this a common DS4 problem? Is there a fix?

What happened was that the controller had fallen to the floor a few times too many and as a result the left joystick was a bit loose and could move a bit on its own - just enough to go outside the dead zone and count as a pitch up input. This would happen when force was applied on the controller in various ways, including pressing buttons. The fix was - sadly - to just get a new controller.

tinnitus
Master
Master

Postby tinnitus » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:55 pm

macpeep wrote:
raorn wrote:Pitch up when you press L2? Is this a common DS4 problem? Is there a fix?

What happened was that the controller had fallen to the floor a few times too many and as a result the left joystick was a bit loose and could move a bit on its own - just enough to go outside the dead zone and count as a pitch up input. This would happen when force was applied on the controller in various ways, including pressing buttons. The fix was - sadly - to just get a new controller.

Fallen but never drunken (close) (love it) are you saying i wrong when I put the broken bits back together using spit, dust and whatever that other stuff was - saw little insects oh maybe they are still there.
Image]

Enlighten
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Enlighten

Postby Enlighten » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:48 pm

I'm not familiar with your stick but I'm sure it has its own software. If that software has a calibration section do all axes perform as expected in there? If your running without software search windows settings for 'game controllers' - its not something I've found directly in the Win 10 settings (if its there please enlighten me!) - once you type 'game controllers' you should be able to click open it and will see your attached controllers - by selecting each you should be able to test and calibrate each one here to look for strange responses, or 'creep' on every axis. Note if a controller has its own software clicking in game controllers will automatically open the software.
If you do see signs of an axis behaving in an odd way your options are:
1) Bin the controller and buy a new one, not recommended, but if your rich your old one to me! and I'll try -
2) If software allows adjustment of dead zones, and its a small wobble/spike on input, increasing the deadzone can help in the shorter term.
3) YouTube videos - search for terms like stripping your model of hotas, or potentiometer spikes, cleaning pots, you get the idea - I'm (fairly certain) your hotas will use pots (potentiometers) and not hall sensors when they get old, or just dust in them they can start to spike, work strangely or even stop working. In these cases stripping the controller and just squirting air duster (compressed air) £1 at Pound land if they have it in can dislodge the dust and rejuvenate a failing axis. I'd recommend also getting electrical contact cleaner spray too, squirt that into the pots and work the axis can really help a lot. If its a failed or simply a broken pot depending on how confident you are they can be changed - but DO ensure you get the right pot!.

One other thing you can do is drop out, let it start reversing without touching anything (but make sure your ships not about to reverse into a sun, station etc. Then press ESC - Options - Select another axis and try to map that axis without touching any controller - if your stick, any controller or your keyboard is sending an unwanted input you should get the - this axis is already mapped warning, or if not already in use it will map the axis. Your only using this to see if an unwanted input is happening - by not touching anything this will verify the unwanted input and what is doing it. Click Cancel so you don't accept the remapping, but you should now know where to look. Oh and don't forget your ships still reversing while your doing this.

I've had loads of headaches with pots and dust mainly on my G25/G920's pedals the pots, and some on the small ones in my previous flight stick, the pots may be bigger or smaller but the principle of crap and dust and using contact cleaner and air duster is the same.

I hope the above helps. I know I've gone on a bit, sorry, but if it helps you or just one CMDR then that'd be great.

o7

Return to “Gameplay and Features”