GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: GlobusDiablo
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Black screen

Postby GlobusDiablo » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:27 am

A little bit closer to the issue.

I've got screens running from my gfx card. DVI and VGA. And audio running from gfx card hdmi to surround receiver.

So. Whenever I switch audio channels (hdmi) it affects the gfx video signal (screen goes black for a second).

If I change audio signal on my receiver after turning on the pc, but before launching E: D, E: D won't launch.

So the hdmi audio connection is somehow disturbing the dvi and vga video connection.

But this only crashes E: D. Not any of my other games.

This information has now been passed on to ticket (which I haven't had any response to btw...).

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby GlobusDiablo » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:27 pm

Conclusion from me:

Make sure that ALL external devices are ON and set to correct settings BEFORE turning on your pc. This means turning on screens, amps, trackers, OR's, keyboards, controllers, and any other peripheral devices you have connected to your pc and setting them to pc settings.

If I do this, then E: D launches instead of going to black screen.

E: D is the only game in my library that will not launch, unless I do this.

Fly safe.

pgrunt
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: PGRUNT
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby pgrunt » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:06 am

I have the same problem since release like many others.
Simple setup, single screen and the only peripherals are Creative speakers from the onboard audio, HOTAS and router.
I switch on everything before the PC except speakers and only plug the HOTAS USB in before starting the game.
Will try with the latter switched on after the server maintenance.
The only solution so far has been the batch file as proposed on the FD forum.

When they release a patch the game always starts after the upgrade, but from then on it goes black screen again.

EDIT: Tried to start the PC up with all peripherals switched on. Of course it can not power USB devices before the PC is on. :D It does not help in my case.

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby GlobusDiablo » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:03 pm

pgrunt wrote:...EDIT: Tried to start the PC up with all peripherals switched on. Of course it can not power USB devices before the PC is on. :D It does not help in my case.

Damn. Sorry to hear this.

Works for me every time.

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby GlobusDiablo » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:53 pm

pgrunt wrote:....EDIT: Tried to start the PC up with all peripherals switched on. Of course it can not power USB devices before the PC is on. :D It does not help in my case.

Hey pgrunt

Do me a favour. Try disconnecting all unnecessary hardware (try disconnecting the speakers). Then turn on necessary hardware, and then pc. Tell me if your game starts?

Cheers

Caliclo
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Caliclo

Postby Caliclo » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:51 pm

I have the same black screen, but only when trying to use SLI for ED. In my ticket Support suggested I try this:

The solution that worked for me, finally, was to install Process Explorer (search it, can't post a hyperlink). Even if you are already an admin account you must run the .exe as an admin or it won't work.

"So,
>run the Process Explorer program >>as admin<<,
>look for the Elite Dangerous process in the list,
>right click the name then choose "Restart".

If not running program as admin this restart phase will fail with an error message (which initially made me think it wasn't the solution for me, hence this post).

Now my game goes straight into Elite, no messing about watching a black screen hoping something will happen - just straight into the game."

It did not help my case, but posting in case it could help you out.

pgrunt
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: PGRUNT

Postby pgrunt » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:28 pm

GlobusDiablo wrote:Hey pgrunt

Do me a favour. Try disconnecting all unnecessary hardware (try disconnecting the speakers). Then turn on necessary hardware, and then pc. Tell me if your game starts?

Cheers

Disconnected both the speakers and HOTAS before I started the PC this time. It does not help.
Video goes through a DVI to VGA converter and then to a LED TV.

I can run the game with a batch file that bypasses Watchdog and also via process explorer as Caliclo wrote.
Anyway I am using Windows Vista that's not supported so I'm not complaining. 8-)

This particular bug affects so many people with so diverse hardware and software that it must be difficult to track down.

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby GlobusDiablo » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:55 pm

Caliclo wrote:....
"So,
>run the Process Explorer program >>as admin<<,
>look for the Elite Dangerous process in the list,
>right click the name then choose "Restart".

Thanks Calicio.

pgrunt wrote:.......This particular bug affects so many people with so diverse hardware and software that it must be difficult to track down.

Thanks pgrunt.

I really hope they get this sorted soon. A bit embarrassing in my opinion. :oops: E: D is the only game in my library, that has trouble detecting external hardware properly.

Caliclo
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Caliclo

Postby Caliclo » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:56 pm

Same here it is the ONLY game that I can not run in SLI. It still works fine with one card, but not both. Black screen every time.

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby GlobusDiablo » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:20 pm

Heureka!

Patch 1.07 seems to have cleared the black screen bug. Can anyone else confirm this?

Return to “Gameplay and Features”