Nullvektor
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Nullvektor
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Pilot's vision perspectives: Gameplay AND Hardware Question

Postby Nullvektor » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:42 pm

Is there a way to do the following in E:D:

1. Pilot the ship in normal mode (monitor) while a second person sits / stands next to me in VR (oculus/vive) and is able to look around the cockpit WITHOUT having their head movements translated to my monitor?

2. Have both me and the second person be in VR and be able to look around the cockpit without having one person's head movements translated to the other's headset? (this is a bit academic as I only have one Vive; maybe after I sell some plasma or organs I'll snag another Vive at some point)

I realize the simple answer for this is "multicrew" but that's not really an option. The situation I am dealing with is this:
-My wife is absolutely in love with how heartbreakingly gorgeous E:D is. But she has absolutely nada, none, zero motivation to play for herself. Hence, I can't expect her to pay for something (even if it's on sale!) that she's only going to use for passive sightseeing.
-We only have one rig beefy enough to run things at MAXIMUM POWERRRR so even if buying another account WAS an option we have no means to run that other account.

I'm coming from a long, long career in Microsoft Flight Simulator (*gulp* 20 years!? I've wasted my life!) so I'm not averse to tinkering around "under the hood" if that's necessary. Thanks!

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Pilot's vision perspectives: Gameplay AND Hardware Question

Postby TorTorden » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:04 am

Unfortunately, for all of these it's a no.
I don't even think you can run two clients at once.

So for a proper ' VR ride along' you would optimally have two computers and two accounts and multicrew.

You might be able to run two clients maybe. But I don't think the launcher and the login to fd servers will like that.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Cometborne
Master
Master
CMDR: Cometborne

Postby Cometborne » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:21 am

TorTorden wrote:You might be able to run two clients maybe. But I don't think the launcher and the login to fd servers will like that.

As long as you have two frontier accounts, running two clients at the same time on a single box works just fine, and you can even wing with yourself. I have one game install per frontier account installed for the same windows user. Start launcher for account 1, start the game for account 1, quit the launcher for account 1, start the launcher for account 2, start the game for account 2. Alt-tab to switch your active account.
Dirty deeds done dirt cheap for reasonable prices

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:38 am

Cometborne wrote:
TorTorden wrote:You might be able to run two clients maybe. But I don't think the launcher and the login to fd servers will like that.

As long as you have two frontier accounts, running two clients at the same time on a single box works just fine, and you can even wing with yourself. I have one game install per frontier account installed for the same windows user. Start launcher for account 1, start the game for account 1, quit the launcher for account 1, start the launcher for account 2, start the game for account 2. Alt-tab to switch your active account.

Happy to be wrong :)

Then it could be possible, run one for VR, then start the second launcher with the -novr shortcut.

Could be worth a shot at least.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Return to “Gameplay and Features”