A question about engineering concept (in general)

Community Support for the game and it's features
Yeshe McGermot
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Yeshe McGermot
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

A question about engineering concept (in general)

Postby Yeshe McGermot » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:21 pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm just trying to get myself acquainted with the concept of Engineers and I already run into a rather important question (for me).

See, I was googling away and found this post on the official forums that seemed to be what I'm looking for, about engineering for exploration.

As I'm looking through the links to inara, I find that all improvements come with drawbacks, some look very hefty to me!
Well, I'm just looking for an all around better FSD (and thruster, and distributor, and...) albeit it may be only a small improvement.

Is the engineering concept in general, that it can only be really used for specific specializations and that you have to rebuild the rest of your vessel around the drawbacks that you inevitably get along with the improvements?

If so, is it really worth grinding for players like me, more on the casual side, PvE heavy, trucking, missions and the occasionally dabbing into fighting NPCs?

Any advice or opinions from players more veteran than me to this aspect are welcome!

Cheers /Yeshe
"I can slump on my couch with a beer and chips and no pants on - the typical uniform of any good space trucker."
Joel Peterson, Destructoid

de Carabas
Master
Master
CMDR: de Carabas
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: A question about engineering concept (in general)

Postby de Carabas » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:37 pm

For the FSD keep in mind that the key change you want to impact is the 'optimal mass'. A big increase here completely outweighs an increase in the mass of the FSD itself. Well worth doing if you want to go for range.

My current view (and it changes) is that in general engineering is good but I target it for particular ships for particular roles. I have an Asp Ex that is my explorer (minimum D rated modules, max FSD, lightweight mods etc), Corvette for combat (big overcharged guns and shields), Cutter for cargo running (light weight mods, max cargo, minimum enhanced shield). The exception is the Python that is A rated everywhere and engineered to the max. Swiss army ship, but not the best at anything.
Rename your screen shots automatically! - Screen Shot Changer Visit MartianFire for more info.

Yeshe McGermot
Novice
Novice

Postby Yeshe McGermot » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:43 pm

de Carabas wrote:The exception is the Python that is A rated everywhere and engineered to the max. Swiss army ship, but not the best at anything.

Ooh, me lovey me Python! And I really like the sound of "swiss army ship"!
"A rated everywhere" mine already is. So, what may be this "engineered to the max" you speak of? Is there a profile of your ship vessel (sorry) somewhere where I can have a glance at your modules and their engineering?
"I can slump on my couch with a beer and chips and no pants on - the typical uniform of any good space trucker."

de Carabas
Master
Master

Postby de Carabas » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:58 pm

Yeshe McGermot wrote: So, what may be this "engineered to the max" you speak of? Is there a profile of your ship vessel (sorry) somewhere where I can have a glance at your modules and their engineering?

I've never got into saving the specs. I really should. Basically, all of the components are level 5 (I think). It's a Prismatic shield level 5 engineered for strength, added level 5 shield boosters, level 5 engineered dirty thrusters etc. It's also got a body kit, painted yellow and called the Yellow Shark :)
Rename your screen shots automatically! - Screen Shot Changer Visit MartianFire for more info.

Yeshe McGermot
Novice
Novice

Postby Yeshe McGermot » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:03 pm

de Carabas wrote:I've never got into saving the specs. I really should.

I found your Yellow Shark here, but (of course) I can't click for details.
Would you be so kind as to make the specs available there?

de Carabas
Master
Master

Postby de Carabas » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:49 pm

Yeshe McGermot wrote:
de Carabas wrote:I've never got into saving the specs. I really should.

I found your Yellow Shark here, but (of course) I can't click for details.
Would you be so kind as to make the specs available there?

Only the name is there (and the cost). I'll get round to saving the specs one day.

Yeshe McGermot
Novice
Novice

Postby Yeshe McGermot » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:23 pm

de Carabas wrote:I'll get round to saving the specs one day.

I have a conference and some holidays coming up, so you have time before I come'a nagging ;)

Walter
Master
Master
CMDR: Walter Wall

Postby Walter » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:09 pm

The most important thing you have to remember is that results are based on a series of random number generators - you're never guaranteed a good result. And you'll know, with absolute certaintly and just as you spend your last unit of zirconium, that the next roll will be better than what's gone before.

When you've spent enough at with one engineer (I should write Engineer, but I'm not that confident of their abilities), they'll offer you an introduction to another who just may have something that will help iron out the little overheads that your first engineer installed as a byproduct.

At this point you're hooked and you may not realise that you've got a problem - it's the nature of addiction. You'll be spending your entire time seeking out obscure materials and data sources that will definitely give you the edge over all those others who have trusted their luck. The search for perfection will become your obsession, your reason for existence and your soul will be sold to the RNG.

There's no way back.

Walter Wall
Engineers Anonymous

By the way, can anyone lend me 15 Exquisite Focus Crystals? I've got a setup planned with Felicity Farseer that's an absolute cert. Pay you back Thursday.

de Carabas
Master
Master

Postby de Carabas » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:15 pm

Just to add - https://github.com/msarilar/EDEngineer
Really useful if you get into engineering.

DarkMere
Master
Master
CMDR: DarkMere

Postby DarkMere » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:36 pm

I understand where you are coming from. I felt the same way myself when I started dipping into engineering. A feeling of what's the point if it gives you something but also takes something back. But you soon realise its a case of horses for courses. If you are modifying a combat ship, your primary aim is that its good for combat. If it becomes less good in its jump range, that's not as important. If you are modifying a ship for exploration, it does not matter if the power draw goes up, as long as you have it covered of course.

But yes engineering is a really big deal. The difference for example with an AspX, it has a standard jump range of about 35ly, but this goes up to around 50ly with engineering. I always used to say I was a poor combat pilot and that engineering had made me acceptable. Well in my last post about this, TorTorden said that it was probably partly that my combat skills had improved without me really noticing it, (or something like that :) ). Anyway I bought a standard class A Vulture just to see if he was right, as I did own one way back when, and I remembered how I faired. To cut a long story short, he was right. However what combat engineering does, it allows you to take down enemy ships far faster, you do not have to pause as often, if ever, to let your shields recharge, so your productivity kill rate goes up much higher.

So yes, IMO engineering is VERY worth while.

Return to “Gameplay and Features”