Community Support for the game and it's features
Avago-Earo
Master
Master
CMDR: AVAGO EARO
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Teamspeak

Postby Avago-Earo » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:01 pm

I'm new to online gaming so apologies in advance, as after searching for it I get the impression I ought to already know as I can't find any 'What is' type posts on the subject.

I couldn't find a way to post a new thread on the ED forum so I came here (enlighten me on that too please), plus on this forum I hope there are less self elected thread police circling around for scraps of inaccuracies or 'Not this again...' style replies to satisfy their appetites.

So what is Teamspeak? I thought it may have been a kind of CB radio style 'code' to quicken voice/text comms in game so as not to waste time when in a treacherous situation 'On my six' being an obvious one . This does not seem to be the case as whenever I see mention of it, the discussion seems to be about servers or some sort of out of game connection.

Can anyone out there shine a light on this for me. I never feel patronised on subjects I am ignorant about.

Thanks for bearing with me.

EDIT: This should not be on this thread. Just realised what I've done. My bad.
"Wibble"

RogueZephyr
Expert
Expert
CMDR: ValTomiana

Re: Teamspeak

Postby RogueZephyr » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:06 pm

Avago-Earo wrote:I'm new to online gaming so apologies in advance, as after searching for it I get the impression I ought to already know as I can't find any 'What is' type posts on the subject.

I couldn't find a way to post a new thread on the ED forum so I came here (enlighten me on that too please), plus on this forum I hope there are less self elected thread police circling around for scraps of inaccuracies or 'Not this again...' style replies to satisfy their appetites.

So what is Teamspeak? I thought it may have been a kind of CB radio style 'code' to quicken voice/text comms in game so as not to waste time when in a treacherous situation 'On my six' being an obvious one . This does not seem to be the case as whenever I see mention of it, the discussion seems to be about servers or some sort of out of game connection.

Can anyone out there shine a light on this for me. I never feel patronised on subjects I am ignorant about.

Thanks for bearing with me.

EDIT: This should not be on this thread. Just realised what I've done. My bad.

I think the Wikipedia page does a better job of explaining it then I do (I tend to get a little sesquipidalian in my Ramblings :P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TeamSpeak
-I fly the ocean black, and my little ship goes warp 10-
-Theres nothing that we lack (unless theres something we've forgotten)-

Avago-Earo
Master
Master

Postby Avago-Earo » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:14 pm

Cheers. I didn't think to google it as I thought it was something created for this game. It goes along with what I thought it was. A bit like voice version of Skype I'm guessing.

Have fun out there Commander.
"Wibble"

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: GlobusDiablo
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby GlobusDiablo » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:21 pm

Avago-Earo wrote:....EDIT: This should not be on this thread. Just realised what I've done. My bad.

No problem Commander. I'll move it to Gameplay and Features.

Fly safe! :)

Nemetos
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Nemetos

Postby Nemetos » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:24 pm

Dont worry about asking ... someone will always be happy to answer.
Im sure there are others that will be able to put this in a nutshell better, but ... Its basically a piece of software that you can download .

It allows you to be in an open comms channel with other users. A bit like a conference call . You just log on, and it shows who else is online at that time .

Its a bit like Skype, but without having to call people up.

http://www.teamspeak.com/?page=downloads

Its easy to use.

If you need any help to set it up , just shout out !

Have fun

Cmdr A von Uberwald
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Angua von Überwald

Postby Cmdr A von Uberwald » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:32 am

I think there are a lot of us who are new to gaming due to this game. Thanks for asking I had heard of it but didn't really know what it was. There's no stupid question, just stupid people.

Avago-Earo
Master
Master

Postby Avago-Earo » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:02 pm

Cmdr A von Uberwald wrote:I think there are a lot of us who are new to gaming due to this game. Thanks for asking I had heard of it but didn't really know what it was. There's no stupid question, just stupid people.

You're right there. I've had to learn loads of stuff to make the most of this game. For instance, I bought a Delan Clip for 3 point head tracking. Then I installed FaceTrackNoIR and had to find the latest games .csv files and place them in the corresponding folder. This took me ages to suss out, literally over a week until I realised what I was doing wrong. The next thing I had to do was remove the internal Infra Red filter from my PS Eye and make a partial light blocking filter to fit over the lens. Then all the exposure gain settings for that. With this then set up I worked out how to define the curves for the tracking to my liking. Weeks passed but I finally got it all working perfectly every time even when sunlight comes through the blinds.

Now I'm going embark on my first ever PC build to play Elite D at a more satisfactory standard as my current one is more for use as a multi track recording audio set up. I've got a motherboard and CPU and some other bits and should soon have enough to start.

Yes I expect there are a lot of people new to gaming because of Elite D and imagine quite a large number of those scratching their heads for much of the time.
"Wibble"

Return to “Gameplay and Features”