Community Support for the game and it's features
thezorch
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: THEZORCH
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Bounties - Designed by Committee

Postby thezorch » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:24 pm

Seriously, I've never seen such a convoluted system in a game in my entire life and I thought Square Enix's Final Fantasy XI: Online had overcomplicated mechanics. I've seen the flow-chart for Dormant Bounties, it is unnecessarily complicated. Yeah, this designed by committee system was designed to stop trolls yet the devs allow open PVP. FDEV make up your fucking mind!

Ok, I get that illegal or stolen cargo gets you a fine, but why does carrying a wanted passenger not also get you fine. Why is it a death sentence, when often you don't know you're carrying a wanted passenger until AFTER you've accepted the mission? Missions don't always tell you your passenger is wanted BEFORE accepting it, only certain ones do. These mechanics don't make any damn sense at all. FDEV seriously needs to overhaul this, and I mean they need to throw out the current system and implement something that isn't as complicated as IRS tax law.

Are there any "official" or "accurate" guides on what will get you a fine and what will get you killed? I'd like to avoid unnecessary death because FDEV decided to turn their game into an interstellar version of the Judge Dredd universe for no other reason than to drive us gamers batshit crazy.
Commander THEZORCH
Youtuber/Live Streamer for...
Zorch Central and Gamers Bay
The Zorch Central - Gamers Bay Twitch Live Stream Alliance (Restream.io)

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Re: Bounties - Designed by Committee

Postby TorTorden » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:59 pm

I find the entire bounty/fine system a nonsensical fiasco.
And that's me putting it kindly.

It's seems to have started with a simple idea.
Local factions issue bounties.
Sound simple enough, but end result is just a broken mess.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Relix Typhon
Master
Master
CMDR: Relix Typhon

Postby Relix Typhon » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:23 pm

I saw you post on Discord and the official forums that you were done with this game?

thezorch
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: THEZORCH

Postby thezorch » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:10 pm

RD-83 wrote:I saw you post on Discord and the official forums that you were done with this game?

My roommate Tygra Kahn had a discussion about that. We got into the game having been told it was a "sandbox space sim" when in fact this is an "open world space sim". There's a big difference, sandbox games reward players for thinking outside the box, but open world games open the environment but confine the player to doing things strictly by the game's predetermined mechanics. ED's mechanics are also very arcadey and not like a sim at all. NPCs do not have to obey the game's established flight mechanics, you see NPCs pulling maneuvers in supercruise that are impossible for players, pop in and out of the game world and are not persistent, and etc. Getting harassed by pirates on missions even when those missions don't specifically say ships will be sent to attack you is the norm rather than the exception. So, when we have moments of peace we should relish them and not get mad when NPCs ruin our perfect approach into a station.

Basically, we changed our thoughts about the game and thus altered our "expectations", and we've been having a better time of it since then. I got interdicted a couple of times, but it wasn't like before. We're also being careful when landing at planetary bases and can't wait for 2.4 to drop so we don't have to worry about kamikaze skimmers anymore. We figured there are a lot about the game we still liked that outweighed the shit we didn't like, so we're playing again (in Mobius PVE, not Open, we aren't stupid).
Commander THEZORCH
Youtuber/Live Streamer for...
Zorch Central and Gamers Bay
The Zorch Central - Gamers Bay Twitch Live Stream Alliance (Restream.io)

Return to “Gameplay and Features”